Need advice on expressing!

LongingForNo2

Mother Of 2
Reaction score
Hi, i have a four day old little boy and have been expressing my milk to give to him using a manual breast pump. The issue is i can only get 2oz out at a time and it just isn't satisfying little one. I cant put him on the breast as he just wont latch on and gets very frustrated. Has anyone got any tips how to get my milk flow up. I don't want to give up my hopes of baby been breastfed totally. Thanks

The best thing i can suggest is eat plenty drink plenty and pump every 2 hours for at least 20 mins each side even if nothing is coming out keep going as this tells your body you need more milk.

How are you feeding the expressed milk? Syringe or cup is best (don't pour via cup, they lap it like a cat) so they don't get nipple/teat confusion.

How often are you expressing? 2oz sounds fine to me. You need to be expressing at least every 3 hours even through the night. Do you know how to manually express as this can often be more effective.

Are you still trying to latch your baby on? Have you got a peer support worker whom can provide advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->