need help switching over from breastfeeding

Lozziepop

Mummy to my chunky monkey
Reaction score
Well my little boy is 9 weeks old now and I have been exclusively breastfeeding this whole time but now it has come to a time where I have made the decision to switch to formula feeding.

I have thought long and hard about this and I think it is what will be best for me and my baby. I have at least given him a good start with 9 weeks of breastfeeding.

I have a few questions, I have no idea how to go about switching to formula (this is my 1st child) so should I gradually introuduce bottle feeds and slowly cut down on the feeds from the breast or should I just stop breastfeeding straightaway and start on the formula?

I am not looking forward to telling the health visitor that I am switching as every midwife/health visitor I have seen have been so pro breastfeeding they make you feel guilty for considering formula!

Also what formula should I go for? so many options out there its confusing!:shrug:

any advice would be great

I would do it gradually - do one FF a day to begin with, then increase to 2, 3, etc.... This will help LO adjust and stop your boobs getting too engorged (ouch). If that happens anyway you should express a small amount of milk from each boob to relieve the pressure but not too much or else your body will see that as a trigger to create more milk.

As for which formula, I used SMA with my first but have bought Aptamil for Beth should the need to FF ever arise. I chose Aptamil as it was touted as the 'closest to breastmilk' but I have no idea how true that is really.

I know where you are coming from with the HV. If she starts giving you grief and your mind is definitely made up then simply tell her you aren't prepared to have that discussion.

:flower:

I exclusively breastfed for 5 weeks and then had to switch to FF as Bobby wasnt putting any weight on.

I started giving Bobby 1 FF a day for a couple of days then gradually built it up to 2,3,4 etc and had no pain or engorgment doing it this way.

We have used SMA gold and havent had any problems with it. The only thing I would say is that Bobby didnt poo for a couple of days after switching and I panicked but apparently that is completely normal!

Congrats on feeding for 9 weeks, wish I had been able to go longer! However switching to FF has made life a lot easier for me and LO. Good luck xx

Thankyou for the replies ladies!

I think I will start to switch over soon, doesn't help that at the moment I am suffering with mastitis! OUCH!
Did you have any problems introducing the formula? I'm worried my little man won't take it and I will be stuck on what to do! Then again I am probably worrying over nothing as usual lol

Also when introducing the formula how long before you introduce the 2 feeds a day then 3 etc etc? how long of a time inbetween do you do it?
Sorry if its a silly question I am completely clueless to this!

i switched after a few weeks of BF and introduced another bottle of formula each day. I also expressed a few bottles a day (I had to give up letting LO feed direct from me) I did this for a week and LO actually started leaving the expressed milk and after 7 days was just on formula.

I to switched from BF to FF around 7 weeks-ish. Ella was gaining weight, but she was so hungry that I couldn't keep up physically and mentally. It has been my best decision so far...we are both MUCH more happier.
We started slowly, 2 bottles a day and then increasing from there. I would increase the amount of formula bottles every 2 or 3 days. If your LO is having issues than maybe slow it down. And by issues I mean gas! That is the only downside we've had so far. She is definately gassier, but as long as she is burped properly and gets to lay down on her back for a bit (prefers to be on her back while farting...not sure why, but it appears to be easier for her! :rofl: ) she's a happy camper!

Good luck! :hugs:
I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->