Need help with meaningful baby names.

jennyb86uk

Reaction score
I was very close with both of my Grandparents, both of whom have sadly passed away, and I would like to honour them by naming my baby after them. My boys name is really easy, Robert Henry, which what my Grandfathers name, but the girls name is a little harder, as my Grandmother was named Marjorie, and I find it a little too old fashioned.

I tried to look for a name with a similar meaning, and found Eleanor which I like, but it's a tough name to find a middle name for. I've asked husband for suggestions but he's also drawn a blank. Any suggestions for middle names to go with Eleanor, or other first names entirely which are connected to Marjorie?

well theirs the nickname Maggie

which can be short for:

Marjorie (obviously)
Margaret
Magdalen (pronounced mag-der-lane)
Magdalena
Megan
Marguerite
Magnolia
Magenta

or you could pick the main syllable and find a word incorporating that like:

Jordyn
Jorja
Jorgina
Jordanne
Jorgette

you could use the name as a middle name instead of first, but personally i dont think Elinore is any use for honoring Marjorie (although its a nice name) as i dont fully see the point of changing a name so much so that no one knows its a reference to that person

or if you like the meaning you could just call your daughter pearl

Love maggie!
Maeve??
Eleanor suits one syllable middle names ie rose, belle, lou

Since Marjorie means "pearl" why not go with Pearl as a middle name for Eleanor?

I agree that Marjorie is an old-fashioned name, although it is also a very nice name with nice meaning. Here are some other suggestions of names that also mean "Pearl"

Gretel, Lula, Maegan (all spelling variations), Maggie, Maisie, Margaret, Margot, Pearl

Meagan, Maisie, and Pearl seem to be more currently acceptable names and age well

You could also try something more unique and rearrange the letters to make a new name, such as Jo-Marie or Marie-Jo. It would give your daughter her "own" name, while still being meaningful to you and including your grandmother in a more subtle way.

How about taking part of the name Marjorie to create something you like...
Example: orie (or-ree)
Marie
Jorgie

X

i like the suggestion of Jo-Marie or Marie-Jo as a nice way to change it up

Connections with Marjorie:
It is a little old fashioned but doesn't mean you can't twist it up in order to honor your grandmother. After looking for its meaning, I've made a list of names akin to Marjorie and/or the meaning "pearl".

Margaret
Megan
May
Maisie
Margot
Mayra
Rita

Middle names for Eleanor:
May
Maisie
Pearl
Marie
Gretta

Sorry, my list probably sucks but hope it helps some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->