Need reassurance please! Does this look like cleft lip or normal?

ex0tica

Reaction score
I had my 19 week scan 6 days ago, I was told by the tech (even though they dont usually say, but she was very sweet) and the doctor that there are No problems with my little baby girl, and all is well.

Ive been look at the pix for days. Whats really been bugging me is on the ultrasound, There are shadowy parts (somewhat) On the pics of the lip. But being the over anxious person i am, Im affraid they missed something (which happens). I was up at 5 am examining them today and i realized i finally need some opinions. They got a few really shots, of the side, the top and the directs area of the lip and nose.

In this first picture, the white area where the arrow is pointing looks like the area of skin between the upper lip and nose where a cleft would be, and the dark part (that look like lips) are her lips. Now her upper lip looks really shadowy on both sides of the top, and go upwards into the skin. It looks like on the left side there is a little "tick" or line in the shadow. If you copy and paste the links it will show. It wont allow me to post the whole url.

i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/babygirll5/page0003.jpg

Heres her side
i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/babygirll5/page0002.jpg

Top view of skull
i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i427/babygirll5/IMG_0266.jpg

if I can get as many answers as I can it would me out help alot. Does my baby look ok? Is there sign of cleft lip? or are they normal. Thanks so much all.

I'm not very experienced with cleft lip, but she looks healthy to me.

To me I think they look fine. I know when I had my scan at 19 + 5 she looked very closely for signs of cleft lip with LO making it difficult having it's hands in the way, so she zoomed in and got a tongue stuck out at her instead. If they had any doubts i'm sure they would have said but understand why you might worry as they can always miss things. Look perfect to me though :) x

She looks perfect to me, they would have told you if they had seen any problems like that. There are always areas on a scan which look a bit unclear as they wriggle and jiggle so much, perhaps the tech got the image in mid wriggle.

Try not to worry and just enjoy her wriggles without worrying :)

They would have told you if there was something wrong, these pics never look right you cannot tell whats going on in the pics thats why the have techs that go to school to learn how to make sense of all the confusion, Im sure your baby is fine, enjoy your pregnancy and dont stress :)

they do check throughly for cleft lip, I have to go back for a rescan because they couldnt see his face enough to rule it out. 60-75% of cases are found at 20wk u/s. For the majority of cases, it is very easy to fix, so even on the off chance, it's not a huge issue. It's about 1 in 700 babies who have it, so the chance is tiny. It all looks fine to me, and they would have said if there were any concerns.

I don't see even a hint of a cleft lip. Cleft lips are pretty obvious and they more then likely would've been able to pic it up with that lip shot, those lips look completely perfect to me.

They are usually pretty good with spotting cleft lip, they told my mom at her 20 week scan. I think everything looks fine. :)

These are things thta if they saw they would tell you for sure.

Hello :hugs:

My son was born w/ a cleft lip & I found out at my 20 week ultrasound that he would have a cleft when he was born. It is VERY obvious. Your ultrasound technician would've noticed it had your LO had a cleft lip. Also - from the ultrasound photos you've attached I see nothing at all that would look like a cleft, especially in the first photo that shows you the mouth and nose, there is no line that shows a cleft lip whatsoever.

Here is an ultrasound picture I have, it's a lot like the first one you shared of your LO, but you can clearly see the line where my LO has his cleft:
https://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/27080_1392089843159_1259542930_1108906_360375_n.jpg

Don't worry about it though, you will be fine :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->