Need some advice on my 4 week olds eating

Sarahcake

Mummy to Logan <3
Reaction score
Hey all, first off merry Christmas to you all! Hope you have a fantastic time, eat, drink and be merry!

I'm needing to ask some advice on my 4 week old and what he should be eating as I'm a little worried.

He's currently taking 150ml bottles every 3-3 and a half hours - which in itself is a fair amount but the last few days he's been screaming blue murder after an hour of eating that and there's nothing me and my Oh can do to settle him besides offering more food. He drinks between 30-60ml more and eventually settles.

He gets fed 6 times in 24 hours and I'd say 3-4 of these are 150ml and 2-3are the bigger feeds of around 180-210mls. He suffers with reflux too and spits some of this back up as he eats so it may be slightly less that he eats but I obviously can't measure that.

This seems like way too much, especially when looking at the fuidelines on the side of the tub. Is it ok for him to be eating this much at 4 weeks old and 10lbs 0oz? Not sure what else I can do except to give it to him as he's clearly hungry :s

Thanks in advance x

Congrats on your new LO! I ignore the formula tin's guide, I don't understand how it could be accurate for every single baby. My LO eats less for her age and we just figured it out by trial and error.

Your baby is going through some huge growth spurts in these first months and if he's hungry, I'd feed him all he wants. You won't do him any harm! I don't have any experience with reflux babies so maybe someone else can give you advice there? Just feed LO on demand, he's got so much growing to do now. I wouldn't worry about strictly keeping track of how much he's getting as it will be changing constantly!

Hope you're having a wonderful christmas :)

Thank you very much :) hope you are having an awesome Christmas yourself!

Yeah I've just been feeding him when he wants it since I've posted this. I figured it can't really do him too much harm and be must need it if he's crying for it. I don't believe that babies know how to be greedy so young tbh. Thanks for your views :)

I have a 7 week old who I formula feed on demand. He goes up and down on how much he eats. Anything from 50ml to 180ml depending on hungry he is I guess? He generally eats anywhere from 3-5 hours. When he has had enough he pushes the bottle away so I figure if he is wanting it, I give it to him otherwise he will go hungry. Sometimes his intake is way more than the guide on the tin and other times it is alot less. He is perfectly happy and healthy so it can't be doing him any harm. I to don't understand how the guide on the tin could be correct for every single baby, I don't always eat the same amount of food each day so why would I expect LO to eat to the tin schedule?! Sounds to me like you are doing the right thing and simply caring for your LO! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->