Need your comments on a name!

ani

Reaction score
A while back I posted on our multicultural naming problems.
We've been throwing so many names around that my head is spinning and need your comments to help me get an outside view on this again.

I think we've agreed to go with my (Finnish) surname so that's sorted.

Then the first name.
The working name at the moment is Ilmo Leonardo (Finnish/Italian).

What does 'Ilmo' sound to you non-Finnish speakers? I'm having a hard time imagining how it would sound to others, and if it's just too weird.

It's a rare name in Finland, too. It originally comes from an ancient Karelian (eastern finland) word meaning 'human', or from the name of one of the deities in Finnish mythology. Also, it is the first part of my mum's maiden name, which is why I like it, as it connects back to my family.

But how does it sound?

DH is completely set on this name alreadyl. I'm still not quite sure...

Another strange Finnish name I liked is Valo, which means 'light' (as in opposite to 'dark' --- not 'heavy'). An English speaking friend didn't like the sound of this very much. Any comments?

I neeeeed your help! :)

Yea me too Ilmo is quite cool

Ilmo is fine to these non Finnish ears. A bit like Elmo.

I'm going to be a pain cos I like Valo over Ilmo. x

I love both of them! (Sorry, not much help!)

They both sound fine and easy to say for us English speakers. I both of them but if I had to choose one it would be Valo.

I prefer Valo, I'm not keen on Ilmo :)

I prefer Valo, I'm not keen on Ilmo :)

same here. BUT it's whatever you guys like, of course :D. is Ilmo pronounced similar to "Elmo"? Not really sure.

I wasn't 100% sure how to pronounce it either. :blush:

Ooo, this is getting difficult now. You are not helping me to make up my mind!! :laugh2: I was hoping to hear that one of them is really horrible and the other will do.

Valo is pronounced Vah-loh
Ilmo is Eel-moh

Please be brutally honest!!

:howdy:

like another lady said Ilmo sounds like elmo from sesemee street cant spell it ha ha

Ooo, this is getting difficult now. You are not helping me to make up my mind!! :laugh2: I was hoping to hear that one of them is really horrible and the other will do.

Valo is pronounced Vah-loh
Ilmo is Eel-moh

Please be brutally honest!!

:howdy:

I love Valo, especially knowing the meaning. Ilmo does just make me think of Elmo (the Sesame Street Elmo if there are any others out there!)

Thanks for your comments, everyone... I'm swaying back to Valo now... DH says he's fine with both.

Argh, so difficult!

I prefer Valo.

To me, Ilmo sounds too much like Elmo, but Valo is kind of cute :)

Yeah, no...I would personally NOT go with Ilmo because it is wayyyy too much like Elmo. Just being honest :) I do like Valo, though. A lot.

I like both of them. I don't get Elmo out of Ilmo but I can defo see where others do.

I reckon Valo - I think he'd get an easier time at school too. (edit - oops - sorry - I was thinking of UK schools!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->