Neighbour put chilli powder on garden - cat deterrent?

Isn't barbed wire illegal? And these spikes cover the whole of the top of the fence, with 3 spikes each row separated by about 1cm. I'd like to see a cat try get round that.

Are they bird spikes?

This is the 'problem' with cats that a lot of people don't/won't understand. Yes they are (partially) domestic but it completely depends on the personality of the cat. You can try all you want to train it but some want to be outdoors most of the time.

I had 3 at one point. One used to roam when younger and hunt. As she's got older she doesn't leave the garden (can no longer jump the fence) so uses my garden but often comes indoors to use the litter tray (i HATE the word sh!tbox). My middle cat (who died last year) never roamed and would come inside to use the litter tray. The youngest cat also won't leave the garden as she's petrified so also uses a litter tray.

Our neighbours cats are often in my garden. Everytime this happens, my youngest cat gets scared and pees on something, usually an item of my clothing. The cats are in my garden most days so you can imagine how many things get peed on. I don't get angry at the neighbours cats (wish mine would tell me what the issue is!), they are being cats. I don't get angry with the neighbours either.

Cat's aren't dogs. You can't train them like dogs. The comparison just doesn't work.

When I say domestic I think the point I mean is if the owner didn't buy and introduce the cat, it wouldn't be there. I know they're nowhere near as domesticated as dogs in the trainability sense though.

Me and my neighbours don't clash at all about their cat, they know I use the chilli powder and are ok with it. The other week they spotted 'a mahoosive dead rat' (in their own words) in my front garden that was left by their cat and picked it up before I got home. I know for a fact that if I asked them to clean their cats poo from my lawn they would, but they're so nice I'd never do that.

I got offended earlier because people were making me out to be someone who hates animals and is cruel to them, which I'm not at all. As you can see above me and my neighbours have found ways to deal with it between us, and I like their cat too.

No cat ever goes in my back garden (they walk on Yeh fence sometimes though) so I think the best and most humane deterrent is getting a dog :haha:

My dog runs away from cats..... She's a rubbish excuse for a dog lol

Isn't barbed wire illegal? And these spikes cover the whole of the top of the fence, with 3 spikes each row separated by about 1cm. I'd like to see a cat try get round that.

Are they bird spikes?

Not sure specifically for birds? They are called Prikka - designed to deter burgulars and cats!

You also have to attach a warning to the fence in case any burgulars did try and get injured - that's your disclaimer. Unfortunately for cats, they can't read and will have to find out the hard way if they don't pay attention.

https://www.primrose.co.uk/images/clear-strips.jpg

https://www.solonsecurity.co.uk/dev/assets/images/products/medium/Prikka2.jpg

At least it isn't chilli powder :lol:

I think it you feel the need to stop the cats coming in and thats the only way to do it then so be it :) x

This is the 'problem' with cats that a lot of people don't/won't understand. Yes they are (partially) domestic but it completely depends on the personality of the cat. You can try all you want to train it but some want to be outdoors most of the time.

I had 3 at one point. One used to roam when younger and hunt. As she's got older she doesn't leave the garden (can no longer jump the fence) so uses my garden but often comes indoors to use the litter tray (i HATE the word sh!tbox). My middle cat (who died last year) never roamed and would come inside to use the litter tray. The youngest cat also won't leave the garden as she's petrified so also uses a litter tray.

Our neighbours cats are often in my garden. Everytime this happens, my youngest cat gets scared and pees on something, usually an item of my clothing. The cats are in my garden most days so you can imagine how many things get peed on. I don't get angry at the neighbours cats (wish mine would tell me what the issue is!), they are being cats. I don't get angry with the neighbours either.

Cat's aren't dogs. You can't train them like dogs. The comparison just doesn't work.

When I say domestic I think the point I mean is if the owner didn't buy and introduce the cat, it wouldn't be there. I know they're nowhere near as domesticated as dogs in the trainability sense though.

Me and my neighbours don't clash at all about their cat, they know I use the chilli powder and are ok with it. The other week they spotted 'a mahoosive dead rat' (in their own words) in my front garden that was left by their cat and picked it up before I got home. I know for a fact that if I asked them to clean their cats poo from my lawn they would, but they're so nice I'd never do that.

I got offended earlier because people were making me out to be someone who hates animals and is cruel to them, which I'm not at all. As you can see above me and my neighbours have found ways to deal with it between us, and I like their cat too.

Fair enough. Must admit if there's going to be a rat in my garden I would rather it were a dead one! :haha:

let me just trudge off to woodlands that have a massive sign saying "MOD do not enter" to get my cats poo :thumbup:

Also can you tell me how I would find my cats poo? will it have a little label to let me know its hers? :lol:

Hahaha, as I was reading you saying should I go offinto the woodland etc I was thinking uh oh the MOD wont be too happy if you do :haha:

Fair enough. Must admit if there's going to be a rat in my garden I would rather it were a dead one! :haha:

Good point! When she's out she sleeps under a big tree in my front garden and my neighbour says the dead animals are thanks for giving her shelter, so she's not all bad ha ha

Last june my dog (who is a wee scaredy) was un my garden and cornered my neighbours cat. The cat attacked and had my dog by the throat, i had to try get the cat off my dog which resulted in me being badly clawed and bit. My dd was only a few weeks old and luckily was asleep in the house with her dad. I used a brush to get the cat off my dog. I went round to my neighbours with the cat holding it by the scruff, she opened the door and i threw the cat in (i appreciate i probably shouldnt have thrown it in) explained to her what happened, whilst the blood was pouring down my arms. She lost the rag with me and slammed the door (should add she is a school teacher).

I then had to go to the hospital and got 10 stitches and loads of paper stiches and my dog had to get stitches aswell. The next morning i woke at 8am to the police xhapping my doot because i had been reported for animal abuse! Needless to say they were on my side. They took no further action. I sent her my vet bill which was £41 which she refused to pay. This cat has attacked 3 dogs i know of and the postman (had to have stitches aswell) yet the police can do nothing because its a cat, yet if it was a dog it would be put to sleep. Everyone in my street have conplained about it.

I am an animal lover but if i thought chilli would keep this cat out and my daughter safe then i would put ut down by the gallon load!

Well, I have just invested in one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXiLKP35_hU

I hope it stops the damn cats shitting all over my garden! Hopefully, they will be so terrified of coming in, they will shit all over their own lawn!

Awesome! I'd love one of those but I unfortunately don't have an outside tap!!

I hope it stops the damn cats shitting all over my garden! Hopefully, they will be so terrified of coming in, they will shit all over their own lawn!

See that sort of thing I have no problem with.

See that sort of thing I have no problem with.

But quite why I have to fork out £50 on it when it isn't even my bloody cat that shits everywhere!
Mine goes in a litter box, so I clean up after mine AND clean up after next doors 5 bloody cats too!!!

Yes it's disgusting that you & us all who are pissed off with cats have to fork out so much money just to have a little bit of enjoyment in our gardens.

Last june my dog (who is a wee scaredy) was un my garden and cornered my neighbours cat. The cat attacked and had my dog by the throat, i had to try get the cat off my dog which resulted in me being badly clawed and bit. My dd was only a few weeks old and luckily was asleep in the house with her dad. I used a brush to get the cat off my dog. I went round to my neighbours with the cat holding it by the scruff, she opened the door and i threw the cat in (i appreciate i probably shouldnt have thrown it in) explained to her what happened, whilst the blood was pouring down my arms. She lost the rag with me and slammed the door (should add she is a school teacher).

I then had to go to the hospital and got 10 stitches and loads of paper stiches and my dog had to get stitches aswell. The next morning i woke at 8am to the police xhapping my doot because i had been reported for animal abuse! Needless to say they were on my side. They took no further action. I sent her my vet bill which was £41 which she refused to pay. This cat has attacked 3 dogs i know of and the postman (had to have stitches aswell) yet the police can do nothing because its a cat, yet if it was a dog it would be put to sleep. Everyone in my street have conplained about it.

I am an animal lover but if i thought chilli would keep this cat out and my daughter safe then i would put ut down by the gallon load!

There have been a couple of stories in the UK media recently where people have been attacked by cats. One was a toddler that was attacked while sleeping because the cat had got in through an open window. The mother said she can't open her windows in the summer because it keeps climbing into her house. The neighbour apologised but still lets the cat out!

This happens to my mum, you can't leave the door or windows open

I'm a cat lover but I put some down in sheer desperation after 11 cats were using my garden, grass and borders. It was disgusting trying to walk on the grass and weed the borders. The answer is in the question - cats can smell it and don't come near. After I reluctantly put it down, I watched my CCTV cameras and not one cat came near - didn't even come in the garden and the effect lasted for over 6 months. Before using the chili I'd spent a lot of money on different repellents but none worked.

I would like to say, maybe different as we live rurally. Cats doing their business outside or near your homes halves the rat/rodent population. Simply by reducing the number of rodents produced by a pregnancy.

I understand the frustration, when i had a small garden in a more town setting other cats used to poo in my garden and it bugged me. Dog poo on public footpaths bugs me a lot more I have to say.

Thing is though you can not control your cats. They are not dogs, they cant be trained. At least in the main cats burry their poo if they have suitable ground.

Personally I know my cats dont poo in my garden but over our back fence in the horse paddock which obviously already has horse poo in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->