Neighbour put chilli powder on garden - cat deterrent?

Well I agree try other options first but ill always put my children's health before anything, no question.

I don't see why people should have to spend a fortune to keep cats out of their garden - spending a fortune on animals they don't even want.

My mum has a problem with a neighbours cat constantly coming into her garden pooing everywhere. She has recently had her garden done out all nice and has spent thousands on it. She has this bark type stuff on half the garden and it's very difficult to see the cat poo in it. My mum has bought countless things to deter the cat and nothing works - she has probably spent more than £100 on it - now tell me why my mum should pay £100+ just because said neighbour can't train their cat to use a litter box?

You may argue that wildlife do the same thing - but do they have owners to train them to use a litter box? Nope.

I've tried most of those and they did nothing. I refuse to spend any money on a problem I don't want.

I'm more shocked at how many people expect us to spend fortunes on cat deterrents than someone putting chilli powder down to be honest.

Just been out and removed 5 lots of cat shit from my vegetable patch (despite it being covered with cat netting)
Next time, I'm bagging it up and giving it back to my neighbours.

I've just done some google searching and chilli powder can be very harmful to cats if they get it in their paws as they will try and wash it away and are likely to get it in their fur and their eyes which is very painful to them :(

Here's a website with natural and kinder methods to deter them and as cats are very habit based/territorial it takes a couple of weeks for them to stop going into certain gardens...

https://www.amoils.com/health-blog/...o-prevent-cats-using-your-garden-as-a-toilet/

I find it quite shocking the attitude of why should I care/it's the cats fault if they come in my garden and get hurt by something I've done...is this not cruelty :shrug:

Personally I much prefer to live with a compassionate attitude to all living things, to treat others how I want to be treated myself, animals included.

xx

Look it works for me and like I say I've never had any problems with cats being injured. I don't think its fair to say its dangerous, where is the evidence? Its unpleasant, that doesn't make it dangerous.

I'm very friendly with my neighbours and they know I use it, they wouldn't dare say anything because they know how much trouble their cat causes me. What do I get when I tell them 'there's nothing we can do, she's just a cat, its what they do'. I have to put up with the poo/animal parts and damage to my vehicle, they have to put up with me using a deterrent and they are 100% fine with it.

Here's a site which is a cat shelter and suggests chilli powder, so I think its a thing of opinion and mine is staying the same.

https://www.9livescatrescue.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=78

Exactly you wouldn't let your dog poo over someone's garden ( though there is one poster on this thread im sure would )but people get a cat, knowing if they don't train it its going to go in people's garden shitting everywhere. Lovely!! Then they have he cheek to think we are in the wrong for putting chilli down ( I never have, though would if I needed to )

I agree with bluebell, i'm kindof gobsmacked by some of the attitudes towards a defenceless cat! I have a fox that poos in my garden, it stinks but it's nature.

A cat cannot be compared to a wild animal. I don't see your point.

Domestic cats aren't 'nature', and their poo is harmful to my children. Jeeze I'm out of this now its winding me up.

I'm out too obviously never going to agree and going around in circles

I'm just going to let my dog, who is an domestic animal, who likes to roam and hunt, come a cr4p all over everyone else's garden then ;)

If your starting comparing cats to wild animals, I'll start comparing my dog too.

The problem? ignorant cat owners who refuse to take responsibility. Some of the replies on this thread are a perfect example. And I for one, will go knocking if my daughter ever got ill. If you want a cat, that's fine by me, just buy a shitbox and litter train it. Its not hard.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii.
During the first few weeks after exposure, the infection typically causes a mild, flu-like illness or no illness.
Those with weakened immune systems, such as AIDS patients or pregnant women, may become seriously ill, and it can occasionally be fatal. The parasite can cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and neurologic diseases, and can affect the heart, liver, inner ears, and eyes (chorioretinitis). Recent research has also linked toxoplasmosis with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and schizophrenia. Numerous studies found a positive correlation between latent toxoplasmosis and suicidal behavior in humans.

During acute toxoplasmosis, symptoms are often influenza-like: swollen lymph nodes, or muscle aches and pains that last for a month or more. Rarely will a patient with a fully functioning immune system develop severe symptoms following infection. Young children and immunocompromised patients, may develop severe toxoplasmosis.

Cats are the primary source of infection to human hosts.

^^^ This is why I don't appreciate other peoples cats shitting in my vegetable patch. ^^^

If the owner took responsibility and taught their cat to use a litter tray, then I wouldn't have to clean up after them, and risk my childrens health if I miss a bit!

And yes, I am a cat owner, and my cat is litter trained!

I'm not a cat lover (at all), but I definitely don't think letting them come to potential harm is fair. It's not that cat's fault if their owner is irresponsible. Basically punishing the one who won't argue back. Nice :nope:

I wouldn't personally want my son playing around in chilli powder any more than poo, anyway? Is it not just as harmful to little ones (who can't smell it and may be attracted by the bright colour)? :shrug:

But some cats do roam, dogs don't generally (ive never seen them anyhow!). That's why I compared to the fox. Chilli powder could harm there's no need to put it down when there's SAFER deterents. Compare your dog all you like, you probably wouldn't be best pleased if it got chilli rubbed into his/her eyes.

Dogs don't roam because there are laws in place. If I let my terrier out, the pound would pick her up.

And if I had a cat and it came home covered in chilli powder, I'd feel responsible. Honestly? Id litter train it and keep a better eye on it.....

Lol I think your missing my point ;) you don't see a dog running loose do you, if you did, you'd look for the owner or call someone. However you don't think twice if you see a cat running down the road without its owner. My point is, cats shouldn't be running riot... They should be treated like every other domestic animal and trained. They have an owner who is responsible for their actions. That is why, IMO, they can't be compared to a wild animal. If your not prepared to look after your animal properly, you shouldn't have one. And letting your pet out loose IMO is irresponsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->