Nesting

bonniebeams

Reaction score
The past few days I have been on overload thinking about all the things we need to do to get our apartment ready for a wee baby. I'm at the point now where I just want to get rid of everything we own because I don't feel like there's enough space.

We are going to have the baby cosleep in a crib next to our bed, but have the changing table etc in the other bedroom.

How are you all getting ready for baby? Will your baby have a separate room?

We plan on getting a co sleeper as well.... Honestly it makes me feel like putting off getting the nursery room ready. I mean, if the baby will just be sleeping with us can't we use the room a little longer for ourselves? Maybe once we know the gender I'll feel more motivated.

What I am worried about is the safety of our home. I just want to bolt all the furniture to the the walls. And I'm worried about my fat cat who won't like to jumping over a gate to get to his litter box.

Yes totally!!! I've kind of started putting away little things that wouldn't be safe. My cats already have to jump over a gate because my dog likes to eat kitty turds lol. Your cat will do what it has to do to get to the box. :)

I already have 3 kids but gave away all the baby stuff so I need to buy everything! Iv already started nesting �� Redecorating a few rooms to stop me doing it when I'm heavily pregnant!! (It never stops me!) but I need to rearrange my bedroom for baby to fit in so need some work doing and new furniture x

I had the urge to nest... and then the migraines kicked in so I just lay around lol

We are building a house! Hope it is done in time, we are literally doing the floor joists this weekend.

Until then we are living with my in laws, the whole family of 4 in the guest bedroom.

I had the urge to nest... and then the migraines kicked in so I just lay around lol

Aww poor Dobby. I hope you'll feel better and there will be plenty of time for nesting.

Misspriss that sounds hectic!! That's a lot to look forward to though.

Miss hope the house is done sooner rather than later for you!

Someone else brought up nursery versus cosleeping. I have a room for baby, but if the baby is supposed to sleep in my room for a year then what is the point of decorating an elaborate nursery? My brother and I slept in bassinets next to my mom the first year. The twins were in a separate room, but they were twins. So is that about being near mom or being near another living,breathing thing? Because I would have one of my dogs in there

Someone else brought up nursery versus cosleeping. I have a room for baby, but if the baby is supposed to sleep in my room for a year then what is the point of decorating an elaborate nursery? My brother and I slept in bassinets next to my mom the first year. The twins were in a separate room, but they were twins. So is that about being near mom or being near another living,breathing thing? Because I would have one of my dogs in there

I heard on the news recently that the new recommendation is to sleep in the same room for a year and that dramatically lowers the risk of SIDS.

For me, the idea of getting up ten times a night to breastfeed would only be made worse if I have to get up and walk down the hallway in the dark. So cosleeping just seems more convenient.

I'm sure people also say there are bonding benefits and whatnot. I just think it's more practical for me.

I'll try to find the info about the SIDS stuff.

Re: babyproofing, not really needed for the newborn stage. Babies are pretty easy to contain until they are fully mobile between 6 months and 1. Doors are fine to keep kids out until closer to 2.

But yes, any furniture that could tip needs to be secured to the wall for sure. We actually set up our baby gates with a gap at the bottom small enough for the cat but not big enough for the kid. Works great for lazy cats. Kind of annoying until you get in the habit of stepping over...

We cosleep, have with both kids. Still do with DD. Did a sidecar crib with DS, he ended up in the bed with me anyway. With DD, we upgraded to a bigger bed. For a while it was all 4 of us, DS between DH and I, DD between me and the wall.

Re: babyproofing, not really needed for the newborn stage. Babies are pretty easy to contain until they are fully mobile between 6 months and 1. Doors are fine to keep kids out until closer to 2.

But yes, any furniture that could tip needs to be secured to the wall for sure. We actually set up our baby gates with a gap at the bottom small enough for the cat but not big enough for the kid. Works great for lazy cats. Kind of annoying until you get in the habit of stepping over...

That's a great idea for the gates! At least it will be awhile until the baby is mobile. My son actually never crawled. There was a brief time he scooched around on his butt, dragging himself across the floor with his feet but he pretty much went straight to walking.

This is the news story. It was the American association of pediatrics I think.

https://usat.ly/2eKjsg5

I originally set the cot up in our bedroom and bub slept in that for the first month however OH snores louder than a chainsaw so I felt like bub never got into a deep sleep. Also when baby was in our room asleep but we were awake I'd have to go into our room for things and it kept waking him up so after a month I moved the cot into his room and set up a monitor. It worked well because then I didn't have to worry about the transition of doing that when he was older - it was all he knew from the start. His room was also down the end of the house so shower noise, TV, visitors etc didn't interrupt his sleep. I think I'll do the same this time :)

I originally set the cot up in our bedroom and bub slept in that for the first month however OH snores louder than a chainsaw so I felt like bub never got into a deep sleep. Also when baby was in our room asleep but we were awake I'd have to go into our room for things and it kept waking him up so after a month I moved the cot into his room and set up a monitor. It worked well because then I didn't have to worry about the transition of doing that when he was older - it was all he knew from the start. His room was also down the end of the house so shower noise, TV, visitors etc didn't interrupt his sleep. I think I'll do the same this time :)

Do you have a nursery room all set up? I always loved looking at pictures of cute nurseries. I'm a little sad that we don't have enough room to have a cute nursery set up.

Do you have a nursery room all set up? I always loved looking at pictures of cute nurseries. I'm a little sad that we don't have enough room to have a cute nursery set up.

Not yet! We stupidly threw out DS's cot because we didn't think we'd have anymore and it was taking up room (DS moved to a toddler bed when he was 17 mths and he's now 3.5) so we have to buy another cot and chest of draws, change table etc but I think we'll wait until we know the sex before we go shopping.

We wanted to Co sleep with my DD but she wouldnt sleep in our room well. Once we moved her to her nursery at at about 2-3 weeks she slept through the night. That being said we rarely if ever used the changing table. So if you are short on space maybe skip that one. We really just used her crib, a small dresser for clothes and storage, a baby carrier (to wear her and breast feed on the go!) a swing( found s plug in kind that was amazing!!) and a rocking chair.

We aren't going to change the tv room into a nursery until I am in my third trimester. I'm really hoping to sell this house and move but you never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->