New and curious!

ErinMegan

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this site but I should have done this months ago because I have a pretty extensive question that has been eating me up for awhile now. I'm hoping to get sound advice and opinions, and any personal experience would be so welcomed. My fiancé and I will be married in October of this year and we will be trying to conceive immediately. I will be 25 in September and would love to have 4-5 children hence the reason we will be trying so early on in the marriage. Along with the fact that we just love children and have known one another for years so we know we would be ready if we were to be blessed with a pregnancy. Now here is where my questioning and dilemmas begin.

I have been on the pill (Yaz at first and now a generic form of it) since I was 17 years old, so I'm now pushing 8 years of putting this into my body. I regret it at this point because I wouldn't be so worried about any of this if I had gotten off of it before now. Along with preventing pregnancy while I was in school, I used to love the light periods it gave me. A coworker said something the other week that has been haunting me- we spoke of how long I had been on birth control and she claims this makes me at higher risk for having trouble or possibly even not being able to conceive and also suffering miscarriages. I must admit that I have heard this before but I have also heard that this isn't true. I know it does no good to worry myself about it and that everyone is different with these things, but I'd like to know what to expect (if anything) when trying to conceive after LONG TERM birth control use. I do know it's best to get that stuff out of your system before trying, therefore I'm stopping the pill after my current pack which will be in a few weeks so that will give my body till October for the rest to get out of my system. I'd also love to hear any personal experience of what to expect my body may do with the shock of no more pill. I'm assuming irregular bleeding and sporadic periods, I'm just not sure how intense it could be. Thank y'all so much in advance for any advice and experiences!

i went on the pill when i was 16, and even though i went through a few different forms of birth control, i came off when i was 21 to ttc, and i conceived in the 1st month trying, i dont think birth control leaves any long term effects..

My gyro explained it to me this way...those women who have trouble conceiving after coming off the pill most likely had some underlying problem before hand. If you had normal cycles before you shouldn't have any problems, in theory. Anything can come up, especially as we age, but I wouldn't say your BC would necessarily cause you to have fertility problems.

It may take you a few cycles to regulate. Myself, I regulate right away if I come off the pill for any reason. Some women it may take a while. There's no way to know except to come off it. Ty not to stress yourself though. We can't know if we will have trouble until we get there. But it's best to go in optimistic, positive, but aware.

I came off the pill in august 2010 and didn't get a period for 11 weeks... but then I conceived that very next cycle. Ds was 2 weeks late and I was 13 months from last pill to baby.
But then I've proved highly fertile so far as I had a chemical pregnancy on the pill, and conceived at Christmas with only dtd once. ..
You can't know till you try.
There's a lot of sense in coming off the pill so you have time to regulate first. But then there's contraception to think of in the mean time, you might end up on your period at your wedding, you might get spots and mood swings due to raging hormones.
Xx

Hey! I can't share any personal experience of coming off the pill yet, but I'm in pretty much the same boat as you and have had the exact same worries. I agree with what everyone else said, you don't know until you get there, so there's no use in worrying about it now. In fact, I think stress and worry will only make things worse. I went on the pill the week I turned 16 and I am now 24, so 8 just over years, I've tried a couple of other ones at first, but I've also been on Yaz (or the generic Gianvi) for most of the time. My husband and I want to start TTC in June, but we're going to the beach the last week of May, and I would hate to be on my period then, especially my first period off the pill as they used to be horrible pre-pill (I know small sacrifice to have a child, but still..). So I've struggled with when I should stop them, and finally just decided to stop when we get back and jump right into TTC and whatever happens happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->