New and Sick

WelshMonkey19

Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.
I am currently 9 weeks pregnant (or so) for the first time in three years I didn't write the dates down!!!
I am feeling rotten at the moment, I have a chest and ear infection and feel sick the whole day. I haven't eaten for 1 week but the midwife says this is fine but am managing to keep down fluids. I have no energy and my sick note runs out the end of next week, I don't think I'll be able to go back for months if I'm still feeling like this!! (BONUS, I've lost 13 pounds) I just don't feel like eating anything, has anyone got any tips??
Is anyone else at this stage feeling bad. I can't wait for my scan on May 18th.
I'm not normally this depressing!!
Hear from you soon
x

Well, you shouldn't be proud that you lost weight hun. Your baby needs vitamins and calcium and nutrients to survive. I know that you are sick and can't help not being able to hold food down but maybe you could try some ginger ale, bread, and crackers. I hope you are on prenatal vitamins and drinking as much milk and water as you possibly can. I hope you feel better soon sweety! :hugs:

I wouldn't be if this wasn't weight the doctor told me i needed to lose! I had a scan at 7 weeks as I was spotting and the midwife said then that the baby was getting all its nutrients from a "yolk" sack?
I really can't stand the smell of anything even my perfumes gone "off" I made my husband throw out the milk last week even though he said it was fine. I have kept down half a tub if yoghurt today, but need to take my antibiotics so will have to force myself to eat a bit more. It's getting really hard as I think its now becoming an obsession. Every smell I previously enjoyed now smells really rotten.
Losing weight is also making it look as though I have a bump coming which is a bit of a reality check.

I am surprised your dr said you should lose weight while pregnant - I can see if it happens not on purpose when you are sick however. I am overweight and was still told by the dr and the nutritionist that I need to gain 15-25 lbs. Shows how different dr.'s view things huh?
Hope your feeling better soon!

What he actually said is to look at it like damage limitation. He hopes that by the time I'm ready to deliver that I'll be no heavier than when I conceived? Can't really see that happening cos' I can't wait to have an excuse to eat kebabs in a few weeks!!
I though I was doing well with apples but that's all I ate yesterday and that came back too. My friend suggested I eat a packet of ready salted crisps before i get out of bed in the morning - didn't work, made me retch more.
Oh well end result is going to be SO WORTH IT!

Yeah, that yolk sac inside of you gets the vitamins and nutrients from your body. If you aren't eating properly and you aren't taking vitamins the baby will strip your entire body of the things it needs. The prenatal vitamins are for you not the baby, they are used to restore the vitamins the baby takes from you.

Are you taking prenatal vitamins? Not everyone does but it helps the development of the baby.

What he actually said is to look at it like damage limitation. He hopes that by the time I'm ready to deliver that I'll be no heavier than when I conceived?

Before I begin I really hope I am reading this wrong. But honey if your doctor is saying this it is time to get a new doctor. While losing a few pounds in your first trimester can be normal, not eating anything for a week is absolutely not. The fact that your doc is not concerned about being so sick you're not eating for a week is inconceivable to me. At this point he/she should be intervening and helping you to keep something down. Your baby needs nutrients to grow! You are putting you and your baby at risk if you try not to gain any weight, even if you think the fat is falling off and baby weight is coming on you still need to gain some! I'm trying to give you a little tough love because this goal of not gaining even one pound is totally unhealthy, even ifyou are considered obese. The recommended weight gain is:

• 25-37 pounds if you were a healthy weight before pregnancy.
  • 28-40 pounds if you were underweight before pregnancy.
  • 15-25 pounds if you were overweight before pregnancy
Please get a second opinion from another doctor.

Hey sweetie, welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie myself LOL, congrats on your pregnancy also! I hope you get some food down, I think we are all just concerned for you/baby, try pudding even or soups let us know how your doing! And once again welcome to the forum!

Just wanted to say...Duffy's right...I am sorry if my comments sounded harsh but it is out of concern. I think your doctor's comment about the goal being to weigh no more than when you conceived is what concerned me the most. I completely understand what it's like to not be able to keep anything down and it doesn't sound like you are trying to lose weight. Maybe you misunderstood your doc? Whatever the case...welcome to BnB, and sorry again if I sounded harsh. Keep trying to eat, that's all you can do!
:hug:

What he actually said is to look at it like damage limitation. He hopes that by the time I'm ready to deliver that I'll be no heavier than when I conceived?

Before I begin I really hope I am reading this wrong. But honey if your doctor is saying this it is time to get a new doctor. While losing a few pounds in your first trimester can be normal, not eating anything for a week is absolutely not. The fact that your doc is not concerned about being so sick you're not eating for a week is inconceivable to me. At this point he/she should be intervening and helping you to keep something down. Your baby needs nutrients to grow! You are putting you and your baby at risk if you try not to gain any weight, even if you think the fat is falling off and baby weight is coming on you still need to gain some! I'm trying to give you a little tough love because this goal of not gaining even one pound is totally unhealthy, even ifyou are considered obese. The recommended weight gain is:

• 25-37 pounds if you were a healthy weight before pregnancy.
  • 28-40 pounds if you were underweight before pregnancy.
  • 15-25 pounds if you were overweight before pregnancy
Please get a second opinion from another doctor.

EXACTLY what she said!!!!!

I am sick all the time, throwing up all day long but I have found things that will stay down. You will find what works for you. I am taking a prescription from the doctor to ease the nausea so at least I have that on my side. I have only lost 3 lbs in 5 weeks of sickness. 13lbs in 1 week sounds pretty excessive. I would be very concerned about dehydration! I would for sure seek another opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->