• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New California!!

Hi I'm expecting my first in May. I'm in the south bay.

Thank you Whitney, for starting us a new thread.

Hi all, I'm way up past Sacramento, Near Chico. I have a 17yr, a 13yr and a 7yr. Baby is due in April.

Your very welcome!

And Welcome to the thread! Congrats on your new baby! Being a mom to 4 you must be so busy!!

LOL Whitney, as I homeschool...I am pretty busy...but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Hi all, I'm way up past Sacramento, Near Chico. I have a 17yr, a 13yr and a 7yr. Baby is due in April.

Your very welcome!

And Welcome to the thread! Congrats on your new baby! Being a mom to 4 you must be so busy!!

LOL Whitney, as I homeschool...I am pretty busy...but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Wow! Homeschooling too! That's amazing! We hope to have 4 one day too!

I think a BNB meetup would be a wonderful idea.

Your very welcome!

That must be pretty busy. I plan on homeschooling for preschool and kindergarten because the school system here in Cali is atrochious (sp?). When move back to KY will be much better. Is there a good resource for lessons?

Hey guys! I'm helen. Have a 15 month old girl and 15 weeks preggo. I'm from England orginally but have moved to CA. DH is from Santa Barbara but we're going to be living in Rosamond, DH said its like an hour and a halfs drive north east of LA.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi :)

Hi Helen!! :flower:
Love your pic of the dog!! TOO CUTE!!

Hey guys! I'm helen. Have a 15 month old girl and 15 weeks preggo. I'm from England orginally but have moved to CA. DH is from Santa Barbara but we're going to be living in Rosamond, DH said its like an hour and a halfs drive north east of LA.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi :)

Hi hun!!! I think your still considered So Cal so i'm going to put you on that list, tell me if i'm wrong though and i'll move ya!!

:wave: glad to have ya!

Ahcigar1, I agree, the school system needs some work.

The first place you should start is here, to learn what you need to do/laws/etc.

https://www.hslda.org/hs/state/CA/default.asp

For PrK and K, just think FUN. Play time is really important at this age, and you can get alllll kinds of learning in then.

Playing with colored blocks or other colored toys.....learn colors and counting.

Playing with cars, dolls, etc....learn colors and counting.

Look thru books with them, tons and tons of books...color, counting, alphebet, names of animals and things.

Read, read, read!

And talk, talk, talk! point things out, talk about what it is, what you see, what they see..ask them questions....oh it's so much fun!

And there are tons and tons of websites out there, full of cirriculam you CAN buy, and full of free online stuff. Just type in homeschooling, preK/K cirriculam, etc and you'll find tons of stuff.

Ahcigar1, I agree, the school system needs some work.

The first place you should start is here, to learn what you need to do/laws/etc.

https://www.hslda.org/hs/state/CA/default.asp

For PrK and K, just think FUN. Play time is really important at this age, and you can get alllll kinds of learning in then.

Playing with colored blocks or other colored toys.....learn colors and counting.

Playing with cars, dolls, etc....learn colors and counting.

Look thru books with them, tons and tons of books...color, counting, alphebet, names of animals and things.

Read, read, read!

And talk, talk, talk! point things out, talk about what it is, what you see, what they see..ask them questions....oh it's so much fun!

And there are tons and tons of websites out there, full of cirriculam you CAN buy, and full of free online stuff. Just type in homeschooling, preK/K cirriculam, etc and you'll find tons of stuff.

Thanks for the site and info. This will all come in very handy. Did you know that the San Diego County school system after talking to a few teachers no longer requires kids to learn how to read to graduate? It's appalling. I deffinitely don't want my kid learning from a system like that.

Your welcome, glad I could help.

YIKES! That is appalling!! And my MIL STILL wonders why I don't put my kids in PB school!! geesh! (I've been home schooling ever since my 17yr was ready).

Thanks for the site and info. This will all come in very handy. Did you know that the San Diego County school system after talking to a few teachers no longer requires kids to learn how to read to graduate? It's appalling. I deffinitely don't want my kid learning from a system like that.[/QUOTE]

Let's try to keep the discussion of Cali schools friendly. Many of the schools are not perfect, but after looking up some of the requirements for San Diego schools, it appears that they are only becoming more strict. I don't see how you could pass the CAHSEE (required for graduation) and not be able to read. So I don't see how that comment could be true. But if you find real evidence, I'm open to it. If you want to complain about our schools, it would be best to focus on how underfunded they are or how quickly they push kids who may not be developmentally ready for some material. Cali schools have higher standards than most of the countries schools. As a teacher at one of the highest scoring public schools in the state, I know that the competition can be fiercest in a public school. I may still opt to home school some day. There is nothing wrong with it. I know I won't always like the teacher my child gets or every student in their class, but I will try the public school system, because I honestly believe that I will always be my child's teacher, but why not expose them to the knowledge and ideas of other teachers at the same time. My parents have inspired me in life, but so have quite a few teachers, and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world.
This may just be the hormones talking, but lets try not to bash California too much in a California post.

Sorry...I didn't mean to be rude.... I know that a lot of schools try real hard, and do good work, and a lot of them don't.

My Mom was a public school teacher, and I have nothing whatsoever against them, AT ALL. So any teachers reading, please don't feel I'm putting you down. Cause I am NOT. Teachers have it hard, I know. And most are loving and wonderful.

For us, and our lifestyle, home schooling is right for us...I know it isn't for everybody.

So, I am going to San Diego on Monday. Anyone here lives there? How is it compared to Los Angeles? I may be considering to relocate! My friend has been there and loves that place! What's a nice area in SD, as far as neighborhood and mortgage? I would be looking for a nice 300k home/condo (here goes another headache over house hunting).

So, I am going to San Diego on Monday. Anyone here lives there? How is it compared to Los Angeles? I may be considering to relocate! My friend has been there and loves that place! What's a nice area in SD, as far as neighborhood and mortgage? I would be looking for a nice 300k home/condo (here goes another headache over house hunting).

Hi!
I live in SD and LOVE LOVE it! I have been here my whole life but have done lots of traveling! I would say in comparison to LA there is less traffic, and I would say the people are more friendly, less high maintenance (but I don't know that many LA people so that is based on the couple I do). There is less smog, a lot more outside activities near by. :happydance:
In terms of mortgage it is 100% possible to get an amazing condo for 300K, a house would be much harder depending on what part of SD, how big, etc. In terms of neighborhoods in SD, EEK it is so big kinda depends on what you are looking for. Downtown, beach, suburban, there are so many great areas!! Hope that helps, let me know if you want more info!

Hi!
I live in SD and LOVE LOVE it! I have been here my whole life but have done lots of traveling! I would say in comparison to LA there is less traffic, and I would say the people are more friendly, less high maintenance (but I don't know that many LA people so that is based on the couple I do). There is less smog, a lot more outside activities near by. :happydance:
In terms of mortgage it is 100% possible to get an amazing condo for 300K, a house would be much harder depending on what part of SD, how big, etc. In terms of neighborhoods in SD, EEK it is so big kinda depends on what you are looking for. Downtown, beach, suburban, there are so many great areas!! Hope that helps, let me know if you want more info!

Oh wow, you got me excited! I'm gonna have to look into where's an ideal area. But right now, I am running late for meet up with friends for lunch haha. I will be back!

And you're right about the smog here in LA. We breathe this smog everyday, yikes! My vaca to SD is tmrw!!! So I am really excited to see how it will be!

Hey all :D Im Angie I am 22 (23 in 6 days!!!) I have a son who is 7 months old and i have been living in northern California for 4 1/2 years with my fiancee in El dorado county Nice to meet all of you :):)

Nice to meet you After Autumn. I'm in Nor Cal too in the south bay. Congrats on your little one.

Dorian, no worries. Sorry for the little rant.

I heard my baby's heartbeat for the first time a few minutes ago!. She/he sounds so strong. It is crazy what our bodies can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->