• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

new child tax credits for 2012!!!!!

Yup I have a family member who is a little younger than me and each time one child goes to full time school she gets pregnant. Has never worked a day in her life, was claiming as a single parent when her oh was on a decent wage and wont get married as she knows it will change benefits situation. And she has a nice car and has hols abroad etc with 3 children yet me and hubby worked all our working life and struggle and cant afford to drive! Lol. And I know of a girl who is a year older than me and has 7 children almost all my different dads and splashes the cash!!! xx

Yeah this is exactly the sort of people I was thinking about when I wrote my original reply :dohh:

Arggghhh I best not get started :rofl:

Lol. I reported the said family member and somehow she managed to blag her way out of it even though she had been doing it for about 7 years! And now I believe she is in a better situation!!! :shrug: Shocking.

xx

I've reported the people I know are doing it but as far as i'm aware nothing has been done :growlmad:

Makes me angry!!!! Perhaps I wouldn't mind if they spent the money on their kids, but they don't :nope:

If I went back to work, my salary would be spent on childcare for Alex. DH doesn't earn anywhere near £27,000/yr. I think child benefit is great! In the USA, I would have had to go back to work when Alex was six weeks old. At least I can be a stay at home mom to our kids here before we move back to California in five years.

household income...does that mean if we live with my OHs dad (he's on a pension but also is starting a 22k job soon when we move in Feb) his income comes into it too? or just my OHs and my income? Not that I mind really... I only just applied for tax credits now because I was doing fine without them and am really lazy but things are getting a bit pricier now

Wait, is this about child benefit or child tax credits (family allowance)? They are two different benefits.

I'm probably going to be viewed as a bitch for saying this, but why have a child if you know you can't afford to support them without benefits?

I waited until I was in a financially stable position to have a baby, that meant I had to wait til I was 29. I hated waiting, but imo it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have afforded a baby before then.

Flame me down now!

have to agree with a PP, not everyone's situation is ideal. my LO was a lovely accident, so it wasnt the 'ideal' time for us to have a baby. however, i am lucky because my NHS bursary pays for most of my childcare and when im qualified we will be able to afford it regardless x

£43000 is a lot of money to me and I give my child a good upbringing on significantly less than £27000! Me and OH work our asses off for 12,000 each obvs gonna change when I return to work part time. I think it's a good thing, IMO people over £27000 shouldn't get anymore money unless for childcare help due to the ridiculous prices we have to pay over here. If I had to wait to have a child before I was earning over £27000 I don't think I'd have ever had one. Hopefully when I get qualified and me and OH on more than £27000 I won't be getting money from anywhere else and just be more than happy living on the money we've made for myself. TBH, I don't feel entirely comfortable receiving free money it just doesn't feel right to me. But people that are having babies just to keep living on benefits are a totally different kettle of fish..a topic I shall not even get started on :mad:

£43000 is a lot of money to me and I give my child a good upbringing on significantly less than £27000! Me and OH work our asses off for 12,000 each obvs gonna change when I return to work part time. I think it's a good thing, IMO people over £27000 shouldn't get anymore money unless for childcare help due to the ridiculous prices we have to pay over here. If I had to wait to have a child before I was earning over £27000 I don't think I'd have ever had one. Hopefully when I get qualified and me and OH on more than £27000 I won't be getting money from anywhere else and just be more than happy living on the money we've made for myself. TBH, I don't feel entirely comfortable receiving free money it just doesn't feel right to me. But people that are having babies just to keep living on benefits are a totally different kettle of fish..a topic I shall not even get started on :mad:

I agree with this that £27k a year is alot we dont even Ear £16k between us and we have a good life and we dont struggle to give the girls things they need, we can eat out and have a hol once a year so yeah I get where you are coming from x

Harry lives great on less than 27k its just me who's having less shopping sprees in Topshop lol x

I don't know about tax credits, but does anyone know if they are going to scrap child benefits? I know they were talking about scrapping it if one of you earns more than £43k.

That's fine in my opinion, £43k is a good salary, my husband earns just over that and we manage ok. Without the child benefit (which comes to me) we will cope, but i will miss it as it's the only cash I get that isn't given to me by my oh. What annoys me though, is that if he earnt £42k and so did I.... We would still be entitled to the benefit! That seems totally wonky to me! You can have a joint income of £84, but because my husband earns £43.500, we won't get it. Mental!

I'm probably going to be viewed as a bitch for saying this, but why have a child if you know you can't afford to support them without benefits?

I waited until I was in a financially stable position to have a baby, that meant I had to wait til I was 29. I hated waiting, but imo it was the right thing to do. I couldn't have afforded a baby before then.

Flame me down now!

I totally get what your saying and in some ways agree with you. But for me and my oh to wait until were ready we will be well past it by then, lol :winkwink: but when i had DS i needed the extra income to help with childcare. We didn't have that much money between us (and i think £27k between both of you isn't alot) but i would rather work and get the extra benefits to help pay for c/care because thats what i pay my taxes for. When me and DS1 father split up i carried on working and paying child care and screwed myself up financially doing so. Now he's in f/t school i stopped his child minder and my finances were 100x better for it.

Now i don't intend on going back to work until DS2 is older but i started working f/t from the age of 16 and only ask for some extra financial help when i'm trying to raise young children because i will carry on working f/t until i retire when my children are old enough so i think i've earned my benefits.

It's just the mothers that sit on there arses all day and never intend to work ever, and pop out another child just so they can afford another holiday just piss me off.

^^I agree, tax credits are to help working families. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have high income jobs, especially in the current climate and I suspect that we will be on the borderline under the new arrangements and may just lose out. I am the main breadwinner but I am returning to work part time as I can't stand to be away from my kids all day every day. My DH doesn't earn much and the way things are at the moment there is little prospect of him getting a better paid job. If we waited until we were well off we would never have had kids before I hit the menopause. We both work but things are tight and the extra money from tax credits is a big help.

We currently earn 30.5k between us and I think to some this is a lot but ot depends on your outgoings. Wr could just manage on this and have about 150 left a month when i go back to work but its the childcare that screws us over and we need help with. I have only ever claimed jsa oncr in my life when I moved area to live and that was for about 3 months. Other than this i have always worked while at and since leaving school and college in 2001. xx

I have worked since the age of 15 and so I see my child tax credits as my reward, with the current government there really doesn't seem like theres many rewards for those that work hard all there lives. where's the incentive to get off benefits and back into work when the more you earn the less you get and you have to work until 75 to get a crap pension at the end of it! It's no wonder the employment status in this country is at an all time low, the government have got their heads on backwards once again.
I think it's the middle class that really struggle to get by...earnings aren't great but then neither are any benefits your entitled to but such is the way when you have a conservative government ( sorry for those who are Tories) there too upper class to know what it is to be middle class. Aaaaand relax ah rant over! :xmas18:

It won't affect us as OH is probably at the lowest end of the earning spectrum :( how things can change in a year eh? I'm very grateful the tax credits are there, they help out a lot.

Hmm OH earns 7600 a year, working full time. I envy those above that new limit :haha:

Also to add, we only recieve working tax, child tax & child benefit. No IS/JSA/HB, so money's pretty damn tight :p

Also to add, we only recieve working tax, child tax & child benefit. No IS/JSA/HB, so money's pretty damn tight :p

We are in the same boat except my Oh learns a little less than yours x

Bloody sucks don't it? One day... one day he'll own the business, perhaps within the next 5 years. Then we shall rule the world...

I agree with Louppey. Our LO was a surprise so we didnt exactly wait til we could afford one but we could anyway.

I think if people get tax credits, everyone should get it. Fair enough my OH earns a good wage but we have a massive mortgage to pay.

Were now expecting no2 and ill have to go back to work for about 3 months so i can get maternity pay to pay the bills, this means LO going into nursery and us either breaking even or loosing out on money.

So how are we any different, id love to be handed money it would make life a hell of a lot easier!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->