• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

new child tax credits for 2012!!!!!

I pay a lot in tax and I don't earn a massive amount as I'm a nurse working for the NHS and my job is exhausting with ridiculous hours, makes me throw a strop some months!! Husband though who's on about £70'000 a year gets absolutely battered with tax!

It is mad how much tax we pay, its on everything! income, cars, petrol, council, fegs, alcohol! it jus angers me really wot do we get for it, our health care looked after, our roads, our bins collected (once a fortnight now!) at least the ctc was a wee bita cash back in ur pocket! :( argh

Ok found this information:-

https://workingtaxcreditcalculator....x-credits-from-april-2012-–-are-you-affected/

So from the looks of it the £27k threshold applies to a couple with one child who is not in childcare, but the threshold maybe higher if the child is in childcare & therefore maybe able to get the 'Childcare' element of CTC, depending upon personal circumstances.

HTH :flower:

Child benefit isn't means tested; so everyone used to get it until recently regardless of income or if they worked or not, even the royal family used to get it. Everyone who is on an income under 44k I think it is, for their household, gets child benefit and those that get it the rate is fixed and I think it is nearly £20 a week for the first child and about £13 for any subsequent children. If they are paying you onlu £10 a week for it; they are underpaying you

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/payments-entitlements/payments/rates.htm

xx

It is mad how much tax we pay, its on everything! income, cars, petrol, council, fegs, alcohol! it jus angers me really wot do we get for it, our health care looked after, our roads, our bins collected (once a fortnight now!) at least the ctc was a wee bita cash back in ur pocket! :( argh

unless we get a teeny bit of snow like last year and ours weren't collected for 2 months! :haha:

I pay a lot in tax and I don't earn a massive amount as I'm a nurse working for the NHS and my job is exhausting with ridiculous hours, makes me throw a strop some months!! Husband though who's on about £70'000 a year gets absolutely battered with tax!

I know he must get taxed an insane amount but £70,000 ! :shock:

That's mental :haha: We live on a very max of £20,000 a year before tax. We'd have to work for 4 years to get the same amount!

We get 45 a month ctc but come april we will only be entitled to about 3 per month which i will tell them.to keep as it would probably cost them more to pay someone to process it! Lol. xx

All that oyu mentioned plus our children's education, the NHS, reduced cost dental care, the police, fire brigade, street lighting, army, social services, libaries, money if you ever need support via benefits like IS or JSA.

Probably loads more too :flower:

If I'm honest, I don't really think the government should give anyone any benefits just because you have a child/children. Controversial I know! I just don't see why it's anyone else's responsibility to pay for MY child. I chose to have him so he is my responsibility.

Maybe if they didn't, we wouldn't have people pumping out kids and earning a fortune off the state.

We earn too much for tax credits anyway but really, why should the government give me £20 a week just because I've had a baby?!

the ax credits calculator told us we would get much less than what we actually get when the claim was processed

In the USA, you claim your children on your income taxes and the government gives you a lump sum as a tax refund. I don't see that as any different than what the UK does, except it's spread out. I like it. It's a little extra money that keeps us going. We wouldn't have been able to really afford kids otherwise, but who really can afford children anyways? They are more of an expense than we think. Should people be prevented from having children if they really want them and can give them good loving homes? There are so many children in this world born into domestic violence and drug abuse.

I agree that there should be a crack down on people having children and living off benefits with no real indication of trying to get jobs or improve their situation, but should those that work hard be punished because they need a little extra money?

In the USA, you claim your children on your income taxes and the government gives you a lump sum as a tax refund. I don't see that as any different than what the UK does, except it's spread out. I like it. It's a little extra money that keeps us going. We wouldn't have been able to really afford kids otherwise, but who really can afford children anyways? They are more of an expense than we think. Should people be prevented from having children if they really want them and can give them good loving homes? There are so many children in this world born into domestic violence and drug abuse.

I agree that there should be a crack down on people having children and living off benefits with no real indication of trying to get jobs or improve their situation, but should those that work hard be punished because they need a little extra money?

I agree with this and I also think that some people wouldn't have kids if they couldn't afford it therefore the worlds population could fall dramatically so maybe the government offer some money so that we can keep the population going (maybe im just rambling on lol haven't slept at all since Sun)

OT but does anyone else find its their Council Tax which really screws them?

Im a SAHM we receive working Tax credits as OH works 60+ hrs a week to keep 4 of us (he has a wee girl with his ex) but I dont think we would be as bad off if we didnt have a huge council tax bill every month, and they want to put it up! :grr:

^^I agree, tax credits are to help working families. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have high income jobs, especially in the current climate and I suspect that we will be on the borderline under the new arrangements and may just lose out. I am the main breadwinner but I am returning to work part time as I can't stand to be away from my kids all day every day. My DH doesn't earn much and the way things are at the moment there is little prospect of him getting a better paid job. If we waited until we were well off we would never have had kids before I hit the menopause. We both work but things are tight and the extra money from tax credits is a big help.

Exactly this. Some of you are very lucky to have high earning OHs. (I'm not saying the OHs themselves are fortunate to be high earners, as that is usuallyt he result of hard work etc,) It doesn't make you any more deserving of children than someone whose OH is a lower earner and therefore benefits from tax credits to help ends meet, especially with childcare.

OT but does anyone else find its their Council Tax which really screws them?

Im a SAHM we receive working Tax credits as OH works 60+ hrs a week to keep 4 of us (he has a wee girl with his ex) but I dont think we would be as bad off if we didnt have a huge council tax bill every month, and they want to put it up! :grr:

Yep, ours is £130 a month, a big chunk of money! But it's just a bill like any other, could say the same about rent, elec, etc. I hate bills!

I hate council tax. We're paying this years tax and a fine from last year because we hit rough times and couldn't afford to pay :( so I pay 2 council taxes a month eeeeeee.

The whole people shouldn't have children unless they can afford to argument is ridiculous if you ask me. The only benefit we get is £10 a week child tax credit and if they take it off me, so what, we'll get by somehow, we always do. I was skint when I had my first child and I'm still skint now and in debt up to my eyeballs. But I'm happy because no matter what happens, I've always got my kids and they mean much more to me than money! If I'd have waited around till I felt I was financially in a position to have a family, then I would never have done it and what would be the point be in that. Life is not about money and material things, its about love, families and experiences (as far as I'm concerned) you don't need a fortune to raise a child.
That said though it is irritating to be as I say accumulating debt on credit cards etc and to be struggling week to week because we are £1k over the threshold, when both me and OH work damn hard for our piddling wages and pay tax, so that people who don't work can reap the benefits. I wouldn't mind one bit about not getting any help off the government, if wasn't for the fact that they are taxing us so much to then give our hard earned cash to someone else.

Yes, I am happy they are cutting it for higher earners - they dont need it.

We are not entitled to anything but then I have never ever expected to be given any help - my children, my responsibility:flower:

Don't you think thought that when people do work fulltime and pay Ni and tax that they should get a little something back, the more you work the more you get screwed over, i didn't agree with them getting rid of the £190 maternity grant, everyone needs a little help every now and then, no offence to people on benefits (we are on them ourselves due to disability) but full-timers contribute to paying other peoples benefits, I think it's only fair we keep the £10 a week we are currently entitled to, we pay more than that a month in tax and NI

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->