• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

new guilty mom with feeding problems

Misha79

Reaction score
Hi
I have newborn 5 days old. She is adorable but giving me trouble on bfeding. We are also seeing lactation consultant for that.
She is a sleet 95% of time, won not wake up for bfeed. Even awake, she will not suck on my boobs. She will do it once twice thrice with nipple shield and when flow would not come fast enough for her, she will stop , sleep or cry and sleep.
With bottle( best milk or formula), Syringe, or sns (tubing attached to nipple) she gulps down so fast. So she knows suckle and she eats but won't latch on.

I have good flow and let down also. I can fill 15ml I in 10-15 mins with pump.
Feeding her is terror for both of us. It's complete 1 hour exercise and in the evenings d we get so frustrated, we give remaining drops with syringes or finger and sns suckle.

We both arelosing our sleep and last night we sleep and forgot to feed her. I feel so badabo u t m yself. Please help.

That is exactly how my son was, I thought I was failing him, I saw 2 lactation consultants, pumped every 2 hours, used nipple shield and many more, I even took medication to increase flow and nothing worked. I finally went to formula full time he loved it and was thriving. I felt guilty for a long time.

I now have a 2 day baby and totally different experience, he latched on his first day and I told my doctor about experience with my son and he said he just could have been my son and not my fault, so don't feel bad, give it a try and move on to formula if it doesn't work.

I don't bf but when I dream feed Lexi I stroke her cheek white stimulates the rooting reflex on babies and makes them suck.

You could also try stroking the soles of her feet and making sure she isn't warm so stripping her down.

What PP said I was going to suggest stripping baby down, We are on formula now but started with BF and at first she was falling asleep through it, so I started taking everything but her diaper off and she wouldn't sleep through feeding.

I didnt BF but like other ladies i had to strip DS1 right down for EVERY feed and i also had to hold him along my arm stretched out away from my body. I was told to do this because some babies feel more like they are having a cuddle so will just fall asleep instead of eating. And she was right.. as soon as i did all that he started taking all of his feeds... he was still only taking 1-15ml but it was better than before :D

I'm having the opposite problem with my daughter, she latches on to boob and is brilliant at breast feeding but will not take a bottle.... Some babies just prefer one to the other and some will take both- keep trying that's all we can do gl x

Has anyone looked for a lip / tongue tie ?
These can cause a lot of feeding problems in newborns x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"