New house.....no mantlepiece

shambaby

hayden's personal chef
Reaction score
I had been hoping we would be in a new house by Christmas, but sadly that won't be the case. However, we will be moving in the new year, and I am very excited. The new house has a wood burner in the living room, which I thought would be lovely, especially at Christmas time. But then I noticed, there is no mantlepiece! Where am I going to hang my Advent stocking garland? And the stockings on Christmas Eve? Stockings aside we don't really like the fireplace much, so will probably change it eventually, but not sure we'll be able to afford it before next Christmas as it also needs a new kitchen. Might just have to stick pins in the chimney breast. But then, if we actually light the fire, it would possibly melt the treats inside! Hmmm, I may be going off this new house!

On the plus side, though, it has white internal doors, which I intend to turn into Snowmen!

I've never lived in a house with fireplace....as kids stockings were hung on my parents media unit. DS puts his in his bedroom.

Growing up we always had a real fire, with proper person-size chimney and mantlepiece and everything, but my parents never did stockings! seems like such a wated opportunity to me! I just love the look of stockings hung on the fireplace.

Yip Christmas is the only time I wished I had one but I refuse to put one in for the sake of 2 weeks a year.

In our old house we had a gorgeous chunky rustic oak mantle piece and it was perfect for christmas. In our newish house we don't have one in the lounge. I'm so putting one in when we get around to it! There's nowhere to put any decorations, we don't even have a windowsill. I've hung lo's stocking on the cabinet handle or the door handle, but its not the same.

So jealous...we wanna put a wood burning stove in here but can't afford to yet! I always had one growing up and we used to put nails in the mortar of the bricks each year to hang them. Never had any melted treat disasters either!

We have a fire place but it does not have a mantle so we don't hang our stockings around it.. I imagine when we build our house we will make a mantel around our fire place :)

My parents don't have a fireplace, father Christmas came via the letterbox. Our stockings were hung either on the cupboard door or tv cabinet.

We have a real fireplace and I don't hang stockings on them just because of the fire risk. I prefer the boys to wake up with filled stockings in their room as we open them in our beds anyway

Santa always brings the filled stockings upstairs and leaves them outside our bedroom doors, so we open them before we go downstairs, but we still hang them by the fire on Christmas Eve. It's my advent garland I'm really bothered about, I just love how it looks over the fireplace. Oh well, won't be able to hang my crochet wreath on the front door either, as there is no porch and I don't want it ruined by the weather :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->