new job and desperate feelings...

kirstylm

Reaction score
Hi girls! Just after some advise really. I had a MC back in May and had to have an evacuation op. Took me a good few months to mentally get over my loss and took my body even longer, only had 2 normal periods since!
But, finally I feel back to 'normal' now in body and mind... I think!
Since then, I have accepted a new job which I start on 28th September. If I'm right, you have to have been employed by the same employer for just under 6 months to recieve full maternity pay?? Is this right? My new job is a 6 month fixed term contract and I was told in the interview can be extended another 6 months as I am covering for the lady thats on maternity leave. :wacko:
Now, here are my questions: 1. Should I wait 6 months and see if my contract is extended, if Im laid off, or offered the job full time before trying for a baby? 2. If I was to get pregnant a few months into my employment, could they sack me? 3. Am I taking a huge risk here taking a possible non permanent job and wanting a baby at the same time?? :baby:
I am a bit upset as I don't really want to leave my current job as I love it an the people I work with. Im only really leaving as the money in the new job is starting salary of an extra 3 grand and going up to a possibility of another 3 grand! My current employer can't match this so I had no choice! The new job is a more senior role and will, I know, be a job I will love and there is much more oppertunity there so at the same time is a good thing.
I feel like at the moment I wan't a baby more than anything in the world! I feel like I don't want to wait 6 months and even then, if the contract doesn't extend then I will have to find another job & start all over again!!!! :wacko:
Any advise here would be much appreciated!!! :winkwink:

under no circumstances can u be sacked for being pregnant.

you have to be with employer 26 weeks - by your 15th week of pregnancy - to be eligible for statutory maternity pay. otherwise, you apply for maternity allowance. smp and ma entitle you to the same amount of money for the same amount of time xxxx

sorry I may sound dumb but does that mean if Im 15 weeks pregnant when I tell my employer Im pregnant and I have been there 3 months I will get maternity pay?
I just worry that as I will be on a 6 month fixed term contract and I tel them im pregnant after 3 months then that will affect their decision to keep me on for longer or not.
All so complicated!
Thanks for you help though, so in actual fact, even if I didnt wait 26 weeks I would still prob get the same sort of money anyhow.
I just think, what's the point in starting a more senior role in a new job if im just guna go off & have a baby - feels silly and a bit wrong to the employer?

if you'd been there 3 months, thats 12 weeks so you'd apply 4 maternity allowance rather than statutory maternity pay. your maternity pay isnt affected by the contract ending - i think its made more difficult for your employer, not you - as i think they have to give details if they dont want to renew the contract.

i guess you could see it as being wrong to the employer, but its just life - people become pregnant when it isnt planned, employers just have to deal with it - as long as you tell them by 15 weeks you're fine, then they have time to get cover for your leave. dont you just love the law! xxxx

Ah, look like things are working out after all :) I don't think it's that wrong to the employer, sometimes you've gotta put yourself first. Anywho, they'll find someone else for the job. As amyclaire said - they gotta deal with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->