• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New mummies - August 2013

Hi ladies! Mind if I join you all?

My little lady was born 8/30/13 and placed with us through the miracle of adoption. This is our first child and we are trying to navigate these tricky waters! I hope to get to know all of you as well :)

Hi trish! Congratulations on your LO. :flower:

Oooooh just found this thread! I'm always so slow :dohh: Been crazy over here, about to lose my mind. Calling reinforcements in now so I can take a step back as I haven't had any time to recover from anything yet! Looking forward to keeping up (well, trying) with you guys! :flower:

Hi ladies! Mind if I join you all?

My little lady was born 8/30/13 and placed with us through the miracle of adoption. This is our first child and we are trying to navigate these tricky waters! I hope to get to know all of you as well :)

Awww congrats!!! Adoption is truly special. Always wanted to do it myself. Congrats, mama. :flower:

Sorry ladies things have been all over the place, sorry I'm so bad at replying, hope everyone is coping ok!

Trish how exciting you must be over the moon! My husband is adopted, so if to want me to ask my MIL any questions, just let me know!
Welcome Nela as well, it's nice to have more mummies join!

Is anyone formula feeding? We've been having some sleep / tummy ache issues this week so I'm thinking about switching formulas. I've spoken to your pediatrician about it and he recommended one, I'm just not sure if it is going to make a difference or not. :shrug:

Is anyone formula feeding? We've been having some sleep / tummy ache issues this week so I'm thinking about switching formulas. I've spoken to your pediatrician about it and he recommended one, I'm just not sure if it is going to make a difference or not. :shrug:

What kind of tummy issues? Windy type ones or (for want of a better description) 'nappy' ones lol :blush:

I only ask as the digestive system starts to mature from 6 weeks onwards (you'll notice a change in the texture, colour and frequency).

If it's wind it may be a late onset problem like an intolerance that is only showing up now that she's taking larger amounts, or it could be a simple case of changing the teat size as she may be straining to get milk which can cause them to get tired/grumpy or just not get enough, or take in too much air.

I've FF'd all 3 of mine from birth. Feel free to ask away lol

My boy is mainly breastfed, but due to some digestive issues we sometimes give him cow & gate comfort formula which seems to help on occasion.

What kind of tummy issues? Windy type ones or (for want of a better description) 'nappy' ones lol :blush:

I only ask as the digestive system starts to mature from 6 weeks onwards (you'll notice a change in the texture, colour and frequency).

If it's wind it may be a late onset problem like an intolerance that is only showing up now that she's taking larger amounts, or it could be a simple case of changing the teat size as she may be straining to get milk which can cause them to get tired/grumpy or just not get enough, or take in too much air.

Mostly it seems like she has bubbles or gas in her little belly. She really doesn't have any diaper issues ;)

Last night after a feeding she projectile vomited everywhere! She NEVER does that. It just reaffirms to me that we need to try a different formula. OH is not thrilled about having to pay so much for the formula but I don't know what else to do! I'd rather pay the money and have our girl not feel yucky all the time. I got the formula and I'm going to switch her today.

Mostly it seems like she has bubbles or gas in her little belly. She really doesn't have any diaper issues ;)

Last night after a feeding she projectile vomited everywhere! She NEVER does that. It just reaffirms to me that we need to try a different formula. OH is not thrilled about having to pay so much for the formula but I don't know what else to do! I'd rather pay the money and have our girl not feel yucky all the time. I got the formula and I'm going to switch her today.

Have you had her projectile vomitting checked? Always good to know the cause as it's not usual to have it if there's no problem, from my understanding. Also, I was told that formula that is too thin is easier to bring up so we have to thicken Nathan's feed. (he has reflux) We thicken with carob flour but they told us we could do it with rice cereal as well. I wouldn't advise you do anything without discussing with a professional, but it's usually cheaper than changing formula as you only need a little bit and add it to what you are using. Again, worth discussing but don't get discouraged, it may be cheaper than you think. I really would recommend finding out why she projectile vomits though if it happens again. :flower:

:hi:

Zoë is doing much much better! Her doctor officially diagnosed her with reflux. He gave her a prescription for an acid reducer and it has made a huge difference. She is no longer refusing to eat, acting uncomfortable and going to sleep immediately after night time feeds. We were also able to switch her back to her original formula since that wasn't the problem. We are all much happier this way.

How is everyone else doing?

:hi:

Zoë is doing much much better! Her doctor officially diagnosed her with reflux. He gave her a prescription for an acid reducer and it has made a huge difference. She is no longer refusing to eat, acting uncomfortable and going to sleep immediately after night time feeds. We were also able to switch her back to her original formula since that wasn't the problem. We are all much happier this way.

How is everyone else doing?

Ahhhh awesome! I mean, not awesome that she has joined the miserable world of reflux babies but awesome that she was diagnosed and the treatment is effective so far! I had a feeling she was a refluxer when you mentioned the projectile vomiting! I think my son would have started projectile vomiting as well if we hadn't caught it early enough as his vomiting was becoming more and more forceful. So glad you are all happier now! :hugs:

Ugh, we're having nightmare reflux issues. He was on gaviscon for a while which didn't help that much. The doc changed him to ranitidine and domperidone this week, well since he's been on those he's been screaming for hours each day with apparently nothing wrong (I suspect some sort of tummy ache/cramp). I'm going to stop the meds now because he is quite obviously in so much pain, and still throwing up boatloads anyway. Back to square one :(

Oh poor little thing :( I hope you can figure out something to ease his pain

Sorry to hear about the troubles people are having. I really wish I could help but I have little/no experience with anything like that. Hugs to everyone :hugs:

Charlie is doing brilliantly - had his 1st jabs on Monday and no bad reaction. His naps/feeds have gone a little to pot but that's because he's 'woken up' and the other 2 tend to wake him up when he's trying to settle, or he needs his comfy cot to really sleep deep and not his chair (which to be fair he's nearly too long for) and as a result he's not really been sleeping well in the day and therefore snacking - very familiar as both the others did this too, so I've put him upstairs in the afternoons the past couple of days which has helped :thumbup: He's sleeping well still - 9ish in an evening til 3am then through til about 7am. Can't really complain about that. Weights and measures he's now over 15lb! :wacko: and on the 90th% at least in everything. Keeping up with his brothers :haha:

In other news I have finally had my x-rays done for my teeth. Apparently there's a long wait for a referral and I will probably have to wait at least 6 weeks but my teeth should be gone by Christmas :happydance: I'm so happy. I have to take at least 1 set of painkillers each day at the moment for one or both of my teeth which can't be good for me. Thankfully I still have the difene the hospital gave me after Charlie was born, and that is wonderful stuff for toothache when it gets really bad :blush:

Other than that, all ticking along nicely. Life is crazy hectic, and I'm snowed under with jobs that need doing but all in all, I really can't complain.

Ugh, we're having nightmare reflux issues. He was on gaviscon for a while which didn't help that much. The doc changed him to ranitidine and domperidone this week, well since he's been on those he's been screaming for hours each day with apparently nothing wrong (I suspect some sort of tummy ache/cramp). I'm going to stop the meds now because he is quite obviously in so much pain, and still throwing up boatloads anyway. Back to square one :(

CordeliaJ, I can't remember if I mentioned this thread to you already so please forgive me if I have, but we have a reflux mamas thread here. Maybe some other (it's still all new to me) reflux mamas can help a bit in that department: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/parenting-groups/2020843-mamas-reflux-babies-11.html

Big hug to you! I know how it is :cry:

Sorry to hear about the troubles people are having. I really wish I could help but I have little/no experience with anything like that. Hugs to everyone :hugs:

Charlie is doing brilliantly - had his 1st jabs on Monday and no bad reaction. His naps/feeds have gone a little to pot but that's because he's 'woken up' and the other 2 tend to wake him up when he's trying to settle, or he needs his comfy cot to really sleep deep and not his chair (which to be fair he's nearly too long for) and as a result he's not really been sleeping well in the day and therefore snacking - very familiar as both the others did this too, so I've put him upstairs in the afternoons the past couple of days which has helped :thumbup: He's sleeping well still - 9ish in an evening til 3am then through til about 7am. Can't really complain about that. Weights and measures he's now over 15lb! :wacko: and on the 90th% at least in everything. Keeping up with his brothers :haha:

In other news I have finally had my x-rays done for my teeth. Apparently there's a long wait for a referral and I will probably have to wait at least 6 weeks but my teeth should be gone by Christmas :happydance: I'm so happy. I have to take at least 1 set of painkillers each day at the moment for one or both of my teeth which can't be good for me. Thankfully I still have the difene the hospital gave me after Charlie was born, and that is wonderful stuff for toothache when it gets really bad :blush:

Other than that, all ticking along nicely. Life is crazy hectic, and I'm snowed under with jobs that need doing but all in all, I really can't complain.

Glad to hear about the shots! Nathan has his this coming week and I am dreading them :wacko: I hope he naps better again soon. Goodness, I really hope your teeth are settled soon! 6 weeks is a long time to wait if you have to take painkillers daily :wacko: I really hope you are painfree soon! :hugs:

Glad to hear about the shots! Nathan has his this coming week and I am dreading them :wacko: I hope he naps better again soon. Goodness, I really hope your teeth are settled soon! 6 weeks is a long time to wait if you have to take painkillers daily :wacko: I really hope you are painfree soon! :hugs:

Thanks....I've been in pain on and off for 2 years (first kicked when PG with DS2) so will be a relief to have them out and to get on with life. They got worse in my pregnancy with Charlie - my wisdom teeth have been hollowed out and have massive cavities in them. It's a combination of poor diet in childhood and pregnancy robbing what little calcium was left in them. I've got to have one of my bottom ones filled in November too, so that may well need to be extracted in a few years time. :wacko:

Shots wise - I wont lie, it's horrid, but if you know it's for the best and go armed with the calpol and some form of food, and a comforter, it's over before you know it.

Little tip - hold on tight as you think you've got them then they feel the nick and they twitch and that can make it more painful, so pin their legs (and arms so they don't hit the needle) and it'll be over a lot quicker and less painful. I've done this with Eddy and now with Charlie and they've cried a lot less than Earl ever did. I think the 3rd one is the one that has caused the most reaction in all of them too....so not looking forward to the 16week set! :nope:

Zoe is getting shots next week too. I'm so dreading it :(

But I'm so excited because she slept from 10 to 5:30 last night!!! The longest she has ever slept, I hope this is the first of many nights to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->