New neighbours stressing me out

Vonny1537

Reaction score
Hi everyone, would really value some opinions right now. I'm currently 19 weeks with our first baby after two previous losses, and I have had very bad morning sickness since 6 weeks, so it's been quite a miserable pregnancy so far. We live in a really quiet little village and have just had some neighbours move in next door, who have a very big pit bull dog, smoke cannabis by the smell coming out of their house and the smoke alarms going off day and night, and are allowing their dogs to mess all over the gardens without picking it up.

Not judging how other people live, but am getting really stressed with it. I can't go out into our garden without the pit bull throwing itself against the fence at me and my little dog, (won't take much for it to get over the fence so sitting in the garden is now a bit risky) and obviously I'm not really appreciating that there's people next door using drugs.

Am I just being paranoid? I'm starting to stress about stressing, which I think is making my morning sickness worse, as I'm now being sick even after taking my anti sickness meds, which have really taken the edge off up to now. Our baby is due on Christmas Day and I really can't envisage having a newborn here anymore, so we're thinking about moving somewhere else. Tia x

I can totally sympathise with the smoking as we have it from both neighbours, unfortunatly i think its so common now it doesnt matter where u live there is a chance of that anywhere. My biggest peeve with it is my girls love being outside and one side are often sat in their garden smoking it. As for the dog i dont know what to say as our neighbour's is a nice quiet dog. You can pick a house but not the neighbours, so if you want to move go for it but the neighbours could be better (hopefully for you) but they could be worse.

Sorry for your previous losses.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do. I would suggest putting up a higher fence (maybe make it wood so you can't see over and get upset) and that will help with the dog.

As for the cannabis, I don't agree with it (or any smoking for that matter) but the reality is it is legal and harmless. It would be much worse if they were raging alcoholics.

I know it's hard not to stress but there isn't really much that can be done, so turning to a non-issue in your mind is much better than letting it take over your thoughts and upsetting you. This won't harm the baby but it may trigger sickness and nausea.

If you insist you can be on the look out for signs they are neglecting their dog and call the RSPCA and they make take the dog away.

Best of luck and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to ignore them at the moment. Not sure where you live dibbles but cannabis isn't legal in the UK, and I'm pretty sure it's not harmless either, hence why I don't want to be anywhere near it! I really feel for the dogs as they've been here almost a week now and they haven't taken them for a walk once, hence the back garden being their toilet 😕 also could do without the loud sex coming through the living room wall right now, but these things are sent to try us I guess! X

Ino what having horrible neighbours can be like its not nice cannabis might be illegal but it is pretty harmless to others obv it's not ideal but I wouldn't worry to much about that . Can u report noise dog etc to the local council or landlord x

I completely sympathise with the cannabis. We moved when our dd was 10 months partly because I couldn't stand for her to be in our flat with that smell. We used to have to go out when it was at it's worst. Unfortunately there is not much you can do. We tried police etc but nothing was ever done. A stronger, taller fence sounds like a good idea however with this many issues you may have to move.

I'm sorry to hear about your previous losses. :(
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the
US the dog owner is liable for the dog's action.
To be honest, I would at least file a complaint, that way
if something happens ( heavens forbid! ), you have
a history to show, not to mention possible illegal drug use.

I'm going to see the landlord today and ask him to get a bigger stronger fence sorted, but he's the worst landlord so it probably won't happen 😔 I just can't see us having our baby here now which is really disappointing cos we've loved living here, it's so idyllic. I could probably report them to our landlord (it's the same landlord for both cottages) as it says in our contract, and I'm presuming there's is the same as its let by the same agent, that there is no smoking allowed and they're not supposed to cause nuisance to other tenants, but like I said, he's not the most proactive landlord so it would probably fall on deaf ears x

I'm sorry to hear about your previous losses. :(
I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the
US the dog owner is liable for the dog's action.
To be honest, I would at least file a complaint, that way
if something happens ( heavens forbid! ), you have
a history to show, not to mention possible illegal drug use.

I think you're right, I'll give it a few days and see if anything changes, but if not I'll make some kind of complaint. My stomach churns at the smell and it really doesn't need any more excuses to churn right now, it's bad enough just having morning sickness! X

That sounds incredibly aggravating. I would tell your landlord how unhappy you are. I'm sure he'd rather not lose you as a tenant. It's in his best interest to control/get rid of people who drive his respectful and responsible tenants away. I'm a landlord and would want to know if there was a problem. If their drug use is violating the terms of their rental agreement, this sounds like a relatively straight forward fix. Good luck!

If your landlord is especially unmotivated, bring up the dangers of second hand smoke and children. You have a valid concern there. This is as much an issue of health and safety as it is convenience/comfort.

im going to try and talk to him. He's a nice man but he's very laid back. I've been asking him for an electrician for nine months and in the end I had to get one myself and knock the money off the rent, after three weeks of him promising to reimburse me lol. But you're right, if it was me I would want to know, so I'll see how far I get with him x

Sounds like a nightmare! We own our maisonette and the people below are renters (the reason for why this is relevant will become clear!!). They are nice people but occasionally he will play music quite loudly. It is normally on a Saturday from between 11am- 4pm so not Antisocial hours and not particularly loudly BUT it will make me go insane when I have a baby! He is also a weed smoker and I hate the smell and this worries me. We are going to look to move in the new year but it won't be that easy. We are on a little more money than we were but it will take time to find a place and to avoid the same problems in future we'll have to buy a detached house in the middle of nowhere! I appreciate that we are lucky to own our own place but of course this means we have to find a buyer before we can move. I'm stressed just writing about it!

Sounds like a nightmare! We own our maisonette and the people below are renters (the reason for why this is relevant will become clear!!). They are nice people but occasionally he will play music quite loudly. It is normally on a Saturday from between 11am- 4pm so not Antisocial hours and not particularly loudly BUT it will make me go insane when I have a baby! He is also a weed smoker and I hate the smell and this worries me. We are going to look to move in the new year but it won't be that easy. We are on a little more money than we were but it will take time to find a place and to avoid the same problems in future we'll have to buy a detached house in the middle of nowhere! I appreciate that we are lucky to own our own place but of course this means we have to find a buyer before we can move. I'm stressed just writing about it!

Oh no! I feel your pain 😕 I know what you mean about the loud music, and to be honest what we class as anti social hours now will be very different once our babies are here, as we'll be up all night and daytime will be sleep time! The weed really worries me tho. I work for the police and it makes me very uncomfortable, and I'm not just talking about the smell 👿

It's really unfair that were probably going to have to move, and I'm sure you feel the same, especially when we have much more important things to think about. I hope it works out for you, if you're anything like me it's probably really playing on your mind. I've just been and spoken to the landlord after the pit bull nearly got my little dog in his mouth over the fence, my heart nearly stopped!!! He seemed to think it was a bit of a joke so I'm not holding my breath anything will change x

That would terrify me about the dog! I think the neighbour below has had some different shifts recently and sleeps during the day and then goes to work so it's been ok for the last couple of months. But when the weather is hotter I have the windows open and the smell of weed just creeps in. It annoys me that I have to keep windows shut in July! Hopefully we'll be able to sell relatively quickly....live in a two bed just 30 mins on train from London so great for professional couples commuting into the city. The people before us did it up so nicely and then found out they were expecting twins so moved!

Hi.
I completely understand where you are coming from. I read you have a landlord and are renting. I think I would look into moving too. I wouldn't be happy living next door to those neighbours either.

It's really not nice 😕 I just don't know how people can live the way these three seem to be doing? I'm not saying we're perfect, but we live in such a beautiful part of the countryside perfect for dog walking, and I just couldn't live with myself just booting my dogs into the back garden a couple of times a day, and then just leaving it lay there?! I've been staggering out with ours come rain, shine and morning sickness😁 they look forward to their walks so much.

They've started with the cannabis again this morning so it's obviously going to be a daily occurrence, and really can't stomach it long term. The landlord won't do anything, even though their breaching their contract, so we're looking for somewhere else now x

That would terrify me about the dog! I think the neighbour below has had some different shifts recently and sleeps during the day and then goes to work so it's been ok for the last couple of months. But when the weather is hotter I have the windows open and the smell of weed just creeps in. It annoys me that I have to keep windows shut in July! Hopefully we'll be able to sell relatively quickly....live in a two bed just 30 mins on train from London so great for professional couples commuting into the city. The people before us did it up so nicely and then found out they were expecting twins so moved!

I swear my heart stopped when I saw this massive head grabbing at my dog over the fence 😡 our dogs are like our children and I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to them...not expecting the landlord to raise the fence anytime soon so constantly on edge letting them out into the garden, which is such a shame, especially when it's a lovely day like today.

I hope you manage to find somewhere perfect and your house sells quickly. I think once you've decided you want to go you just want to get on and move on...I'm keeping everything crossed for you x

Oh god how awful!!

I'd probably ring the police and give an anonymous tip off about a suspected drug farm next door, you never know! Might be enough to get them evicted. It's certainly not harmless and not something you want any kids around.
When we were on holiday whilst I was 15 weeks pregnant the couple on the balcony next to us sat smoking it every night, I went off it! Why should other people have to put up with someone else's vile habits.

Sorry you're having to put up with all this. If you're landlord is really useless and won't help you it might be better to move anyway. Certainly not the kind of person you want responsible for your home.

lol where do you live? Because where I live, the big MJ is NOT legal, and if it were me (and illegal) I would be calling the popos. I don't want to bring my baby home through a cloud of weed. And yeah like previous folks said, let your landlord know too. I agree, also lease out a house and would want to know if these kinds of people were living in my house, and if so would have to do something about that mess.

Really sorry you are dealing with all that :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"