New or Old house............which would you chose? - WE GOT THE OLD ONE!!!

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
OK, so what would be your preference and why?

Older house - say 1900's build with LOADS of stoarge(2 storey garage, workshop with a huge storage room upstairs) 3 beds, 1 bath, 1 loo down stairs, kitchen and big Dining/Living room. No garden but a shared communal area. Does require some work...........electrical and possibly to the flat roof - Kitchen/Bath extension. Mid terrace - well was end but a shop was built beside it.

New house - Say 2011 build............No storage......3 beds 1 bath, 1 loo down stairs, same kitchen but with pantry and a Dining/Loving room. Has a garden (just - you could get a 10ft trampoline and a wee shed in and thats it) with no garage or shed etc...New so doesn't need any work. End terrace.

The difference in price of the 2 in value is 20k. They are about 500m apart in same village.

These are the houses:
The one on the left.
images

https://www.aspc.co.uk/WM/databases/active_1.1/full_particulars/301679/main_photo/std_w.jpg

**Edited to add that we got the old one :D 127.5k subject to timber survey ! EEK!

Tough one because i would want the best of both worlds! But if it is a brick house, i would have to say the new. Work to the roof and electrics could be very expensive and every old house ive lived in has been mouldy. No storage could be an issue if you are already used to having it. But if you dont, then it shouldnt be too bad.

I would also choose an end terrace over a mid terrace.

Tough one because i would want the best of both worlds! But if it is a brick house, i would have to say the new. Work to the roof and electrics could be very expensive and every old house ive lived in has been mouldy. No storage could be an issue if you are already used to having it. But if you dont, then it shouldnt be too bad.

I would also choose an end terrace over a mid terrace.

The old one is a mix of sandstone front and granite walls. The wall from the kitchen to the living room is 1m Thick.

It does smell mouldyish, its been empty for a year. OH and I have always lived in OLD houses..........my parents first house here was built in 1755. I like not being able to hear through the walls. Even inside this one you couldn't hear a thing from outside - not that its ever busy!

But yes, the storage is a big thing........we have one of the indoor shed things on our landing......its 10ft by 4ft and its FULL.........of stuff that OH cant just bin, and our bikes and he has 2 motorbikes (1 in bits) and all his tools etc that he cant use as well, no where to do stuff.

I also like the idea of a man cave, so he can live in the garage, haha.

Would have to be old for me. I like my houses to be solid and new builds, in my experience, seem to be really flimsy!

I know people in new builds who can't have a flat screen tv on the wall because they can't take the weight!!

Old for me, I like the fact they have bigger rooms storage and are usually solid, the smell isnt an issue once you are in it will lose that :)

It would have to be the old one for me too. I couldn't live without the storage for one and secondly I have lived in rented new houses and they are so flimsy it's unreal. One of them the entire house used to vibrate if you slammed the front door too hard!! lol

old one every time im not a fan of new houses at all xx

Old!

I've lived in both and the quality just isn't there on new builds :/

Old! I could have had 3 bed with garage new ish house, but instead I brought a house built in 1662, 1.5 bed, requiring new thatch, and serious restoration, no drive or garage. Lol.
X

Our house is nearly 100 years old. I love the character of the house and the history it has behind it. The drawback is that when something breaks its not usually an easy quick fix because it's so old. But I'd choose this house over a new one any day.

I'd also always go for an old house, I really don't like new-builds.

Oh I didint see the pics. If the grey and brown is the new house I see your dilemma. I love that it isn't a typical new look it won't age Badley like some have.

Oh I didint see the pics. If the grey and brown is the new house I see your dilemma. I love that it isn't a typical new look it won't age Badley like some have.

Yeah, I think they have tried to go with an more traditional look - although given these are both in the same village, you can see its not really in keeping that much.

We put an offer in of 125k on the old one, its been refused as they say they want nearer to 130k, so putting in 127.5k with Apportionments - but not that much is moveable so will prob end up paying stamp duty :( booo.

I moved just before christmas. We looked at both old and new.
The new ones had smaller everything, thinner walls and just no character.
We went for a gorgeous Edwardian house in the end. It needs a bit of work, but we are here for the long haul!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->