New pet for my daughter

Mummytobe85

Reaction score
My oldest daughters birthday is next month and she wants a new pet (wanted a rabbit but was told no due to there ages) instead got advised to maybe get guniea pigs but I'm not so keen on them and I think fishes are boring lol (no offence)

I was thinking maybe a pair budgies as I think she'll enjoy them more - has anyone got experience with budgies and small kids/cats as we have 3 cats and they're out during the day but mostly home at nights.

Can this arrangement work? If so can I get a budgie starter pack? Do they smell? Do they create mess etc? Advice appreciated as wanted to surprise them on her birthday :flower:

P.s I had cockatils when I was growing up but we had no other pets as we were living in a flat at the time

Why would you want to put a bird or any animal in a cage ? :nope:

I worked in a pet store while I was in colleges and budgies are the messiest birds! I also wouldn't recommend them for a home with 3 cats. Or such a young child. They are fragile and can bite pretty hard unless you socialize them a lot by having them out for a while during the day.

For kids we always recommended guinea pigs or a pair of rats. Most people don't like rats but they are really very friendly and can be trained to know certain words and are actually pretty clean animals. I have three at the moment.

From experience, no they don't smell but they do make a bit of a mess with their seeds and pooping when out the cage. Mine were only caged overnight. I'm not sure I'd trust them with cats and, because they're not a "hold and stroke" pet, I think they'd be a bit boring for a little girl.

I second rats! Very clean and friendly. We got a cat because I didn't want a cage animal and it's worked out well and they get on brilliantly, and actually I think a cat is less work than an animal in a cage.

Rats make fantastic pets. They can be very affectionate.

MIL has budgies and they do make afair bit of mess! She cleans out their avery every couple of days but food etc gets scattered from their house to the floor and they do poop a fair bit! They are also very noisy. They are cute but they aren't tame- they'll peck and try to fly away if MIL holds the but that's because they haven't been held much. Plus it is pretty depressing to see them in their cage all day, I wouldn't get a bird unless I was planning on having it loose the majority of the time personally.
I love guinea pigs, they're so cute and cuddly. Rats are awesome too.

Why do they say no to rabbits. We have a rabbit who had before lo was born, she lives indoors and adores our daughter and she and my cats get on fine together. Lo knows not to pick her up. The rabbit often comes sits on her lap for a snuggle. I wouldent do any type of birds with my cats i have to say unless getting chickens for back garden (my cats stay indoors through choice) but we just have 2 cats, a rabbit and fish for our family

I agree with the others, rats are amazing pets. Get them from a rescue or a proper breeder though as they will be able to give you an idea on their temperament. Actually I think that goes for all pets. I'd go for a good breeder over a rescue if you want to know family history though and what health problems you're likely to come up against.

I'd go with guinea pigs. I love guinea pigs, I've always had them since I was tiny, we bred them a few times and newborn guinea pigs are the cutest little things. I'm hoping to get one each for my boys this summer once our garden is sorted :)

Thanks everyone, I might look at getting Guinea pigs once we have a garden cos atm we've only got a good sized balcony - they said no to rabbits cos they said they've got a kick on them if LO's try to pick them up

with my lo the rabbit comes on the floor so she can stroke it and she has been taught not to pick her up, though she is indoor rabbit so lo sits next to her cage and can talk to her as well. They can kick but have to say my rabbit hasn't tried it, she just hops about and likes to sit on your lap to watch tv, she has a pen we can put up for her as well. To be honest with any pet I think its just making sure to teach child to respect them and watch them.

Rats are a fab kiddie pet, they're very friendly. I had them as a child and loved that they would ride around on my shoulder :)

If you have a decent sized garden a tortoise could be a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->