new to the board! :)

hollyw79

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I get to skip the regular TTC board and I am starting here I guess. A little background on me~ I am 31 and I have an 8 year old son from a previous marriage. I just tied the knot back in October and my husband (he is 32) and I immediately wanted to start trying to have a child. He doesn't have any yet. We figured that since we met our insurance deductible this year~ that it would be best to get checked out NOW just in case. I went and had blood work done and all of my levels checked out ok thankfully. I have one more round of blood work to check progesterone levels on Monday. He went for a SA and unfortunately it came back that 95% were abnormal. :cry: It was *mind blowing* for both of us... and I had to share the news with him which certainly wasn't easy. Definitely a blow to his ego. The doctor said that we are going to basically have to start with IUI to conceive.

I never really thought this is where I'd be (SIGH) but it is what it is. I already sort of feel a little alone on this even though we're just getting started. We have our first appt with the doctor on Thursday to initiate the process.

I appreciate any words of wisdom/suggestions.. and hope to provide the same to everyone else.

Does anyone know if the levels of abnormal sperm can improve over time or is it basically just what it is??

Before we found this out- I had an OPK + last monday- I actually left work to run home and have a little luvins with my DH and later that night.. to find out THIS information a few days after.. BUT I do admit I am still seriously praying that even if only 5% were normal- that just ONE succeeded last week.

Hi everyone! I get to skip the regular TTC board and I am starting here I guess. A little background on me~ I am 31 and I have an 8 year old son from a previous marriage. I just tied the knot back in October and my husband (he is 32) and I immediately wanted to start trying to have a child. He doesn't have any yet. We figured that since we met our insurance deductible this year~ that it would be best to get checked out NOW just in case. I went and had blood work done and all of my levels checked out ok thankfully. I have one more round of blood work to check progesterone levels on Monday. He went for a SA and unfortunately it came back that 95% were abnormal. :cry: It was *mind blowing* for both of us... and I had to share the news with him which certainly wasn't easy. Definitely a blow to his ego. The doctor said that we are going to basically have to start with IUI to conceive.

I never really thought this is where I'd be (SIGH) but it is what it is. I already sort of feel a little alone on this even though we're just getting started. We have our first appt with the doctor on Thursday to initiate the process.

I appreciate any words of wisdom/suggestions.. and hope to provide the same to everyone else.

Does anyone know if the levels of abnormal sperm can improve over time or is it basically just what it is??

Before we found this out- I had an OPK + last monday- I actually left work to run home and have a little luvins with my DH and later that night.. to find out THIS information a few days after.. BUT I do admit I am still seriously praying that even if only 5% were normal- that just ONE succeeded last week.

Best of luck to you Holly! My Dh also had a SA done and the results weren't great. I would strongly advise to get a second one done though at a different lab, as my DH's results were completely different the second time! It will be different each time depending on how long he has abstained, as well as the lab itself. If he has a high count, then even with all the 'abnormal' ones, he still may have a good amount giving you a good chance!

Best of luck on Thursday x

Thanks! :) That is a good point to get a second SA done... We are trying to do what we can do.. having him stop drinking which he does on occasion, taking a daily vitamin, omega 3, folic acid.. hoping some of this helps. We didn't find out what his actual "count" was but when we go on Thurs~ we were going to get a copy of the SA... we were immediately advised to try IUI though. :shrug:

Thanks! :) That is a good point to get a second SA done... We are trying to do what we can do.. having him stop drinking which he does on occasion, taking a daily vitamin, omega 3, folic acid.. hoping some of this helps. We didn't find out what his actual "count" was but when we go on Thurs~ we were going to get a copy of the SA... we were immediately advised to try IUI though. :shrug:

We got advised to go straight to IVF, but of course a second SA was a lot cheaper and we thought it couldn't hurt. We are so glad we did because the results came back a lot better and then they said we would have a good chance with IUI. My DH is also taking Folic Acid, Vit E and Selenium. Definitely get a copy though and if there's time, have a second SA done incase the results are completely different, like they were for us. Might change things a little for you guys. Best of luck x

I wonder how they determine when to immediately go to IVF... That had to have been a relief to have your DH's 2nd results turn out better. My DH was truly crushed.. he laid in bed half the day when I told him :(

So, you just had your first IUI??? How long do you plan on pursuing the IUI option?? I know I am completely thrown off by this.. I got preggo so easily with my first son with my ex husband- this is completely new to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->