New TTC with PCOS

Michellew2525

LOL @ only kids you have is with 4 legs! Tickled me! :haha: Oh good let me know how you get on with the DR and what he says. My PCOS was found by accient when i was in pain with gallblader they thought it was ectopic PG when my bloods came back showing that. I also had a transvaginal ulstrasound done and they said yep theres cyst alright looks like your normal PCOS ovary whatever that means, Then one day when i was chattin with a client (as i'm a hairdresser) she had told me that she had a very mild form and that there was different types. hmm! I'm not that good at remember things to ask the DR when i'm there I'm going to need to write it down.

As for visiting the Dr i was going to make an appointment soon but i don't know weather to wait until after my DH 2nd SA to see what he says. :-k GL x

Michellew2525

LOL @ only kids you have is with 4 legs! Tickled me! :haha: Oh good let me know how you get on with the DR and what he says. My PCOS was found by accient when i was in pain with gallblader they thought it was ectopic PG when my bloods came back showing that. I also had a transvaginal ulstrasound done and they said yep theres cyst alright looks like your normal PCOS ovary whatever that means, Then one day when i was chattin with a client (as i'm a hairdresser) she had told me that she had a very mild form and that there was different types. hmm! I'm not that good at remember things to ask the DR when i'm there I'm going to need to write it down.

As for visiting the Dr i was going to make an appointment soon but i don't know weather to wait until after my DH 2nd SA to see what he says. :-k GL x

Wow, good thing they found it! I totally forgot to ask about PCOS stages:dohh: Everything went well today though. He put me on Metformin 1000mg 1 tablet daily for 2 weeks and then twice daily. He also put me on Levothyroxine 0.088mg 1 tablet daily. All I have to say is thank goodness for insurance. That metformin was $471.00 for only a one month supply:saywhat: With my insurance it came to $45.00:happydance: definitely much better!

Michellew2525, wow, the cost of Metformin varies greatly..... I am taking 3 x 500mg pills and they cost me $48.10 for a 3 month supply (no insurance here :dohh:)..... that's $16.03 per month!!! Maybe it's cheaper because it's a lower dose .... but still, I would rather take 4 pills of the lower dosage at $21.37 per month (cost for 4 pills per day) then 2 pills at $471.00 per month (rambling......:oops:)

Michellew2525

Wow, good thing they found it! I totally forgot to ask about PCOS stages:dohh: Everything went well today though. He put me on Metformin 1000mg 1 tablet daily for 2 weeks and then twice daily. He also put me on Levothyroxine 0.088mg 1 tablet daily. All I have to say is thank goodness for insurance. That metformin was $471.00 for only a one month supply:saywhat: With my insurance it came to $45.00:happydance: definitely much better!

Nevermind can always ask again. WOW! thats crazy money. Ur right about the insurrance thats a biggg jump down lol MABEL2011 i would too. Is there much side affects with Metformin?? GL hope everything goes well xx:dust:

Michellew2525, wow, the cost of Metformin varies greatly..... I am taking 3 x 500mg pills and they cost me $48.10 for a 3 month supply (no insurance here :dohh:)..... that's $16.03 per month!!! Maybe it's cheaper because it's a lower dose .... but still, I would rather take 4 pills of the lower dosage at $21.37 per month (cost for 4 pills per day) then 2 pills at $471.00 per month (rambling......:oops:)

Wow Mabel2011! That's definitely a huge price difference! Aren't meds naturally less expensive in Canada than the US? I know my Doctor warned me that they were expensive without insurance, but I told him that I was covered so no worries. I was thinking $100 expensive, not $471 expensive....boy was I wrong lol. Are you taking Metformin for PCOS also?

Wifeyw, the prescription says 20-30% of people taking Metformin experience some of the following: diarrhea, gas, headache, indigestion, nausea, stomach pain or upset, temporary metallic taste, or vomiting.
He said this is the reason why they increase the dosage after 2 weeks to try and get your body use to it and to avoid possibly getting these symptoms.

Wow Mabel2011! That's definitely a huge price difference! Aren't meds naturally less expensive in Canada than the US? I know my Doctor warned me that they were expensive without insurance, but I told him that I was covered so no worries. I was thinking $100 expensive, not $471 expensive....boy was I wrong lol. Are you taking Metformin for PCOS also?

Yes, I am taking Metformin because of one of the many symptoms of PCOS (insulin resistance). Medication for the most part is reasonable, however, the Gonal F injections are quite expensive at almost $3,000 for 45 shots..... but, it is nice that the FS is covered by the provincial health plan :thumbup:

and to wifeyw - the side effects of Metformin are not a pretty sight.... and the higher the dose, the worse they get (sorry Michellew2525). Ummm how to put this..... I wouldn't plan anything for the first month because you can only leave the washroom for 20 mins at a time. But if you find the side effects are too harsh, your doctor will cut back the dose for a few weeks and gradually up it (500mg for 1 week then 1000mg for another week and so on). But not all bad side effects..... my little ponch slimmed :laugh2:

Thanks michelle2525 GL with it let us know if you experience any side affects. I'm sure MABEL2011 will be able to relate to them.

MABEL2011 oh dear how long have you been on metformin? Looks like its bitter sweet with the side affects lol but is it worth it? i always worry about the meds i read up on things too much i think thats my down fall. hmm!

Thanks michelle2525 GL with it let us know if you experience any side affects. I'm sure MABEL2011 will be able to relate to them.

MABEL2011 oh dear how long have you been on metformin? Looks like its bitter sweet with the side affects lol but is it worth it? i always worry about the meds i read up on things too much i think thats my down fall. hmm!

lol, that's my downfall too :haha:

But really, Metformin has bad side effects but they can be controlled or limited. It is well worth it though. I have been on Metformin for 5 months now and oddly enough it makes you feel healthier. Probably since my sugars are no longer being stored as fat, lol, and you can really tell the difference in body shape. Most women with Insulin Resistance develope a ponch (or small spare tire!!!), about a month into Metformin and it's gone :thumbup:

But really, Metformin has bad side effects but they can be controlled or limited. It is well worth it though. I have been on Metformin for 5 months now and oddly enough it makes you feel healthier. Probably since my sugars are no longer being stored as fat, lol, and you can really tell the difference in body shape. Most women with Insulin Resistance develope a ponch (or small spare tire!!!), about a month into Metformin and it's gone :thumbup:

Sounds good i know all about spare tires lol metformin here i come!! :happydance::haha:

hi welcome to bnb, good luck on your ttc journey :hugs:

Hey everyone, I haven't used OPK's as i was told with PCOS it doesn't work or they can give a wrong reading... I dunno if thats totally true or not i asked the DR he said they should work just out of interest do you guys use OPK's? x

Hey everyone, I haven't used OPK's as i was told with PCOS it doesn't work or they can give a wrong reading... I dunno if thats totally true or not i asked the DR he said they should work just out of interest do you guys use OPK's? x

I did use OPK's a few years ago but never got a pos. Now I understand why.... basically my follicles did not mature therefore I was not Oing (they would just die off). LH levels do not surge in many people with PCOS because the levels are already high..... without this surge in LH and FSH you can't O.

So, I don't think it would be reliable but I am not a doctor that's just my opinion :haha:

***Just to add, I am sure they would work for people with PCOS, but the point being many with PCOS don't O so you would never get a pos.

Sounds good i know all about spare tires lol metformin here i come!! :happydance::haha:

So far so good...no symptoms other than bloating. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My doctor said he would like me to loose about 10lbs....so I will be one happy girly to loose that:happydance:

Yes I do, and they work for me:thumbup:

ooh ok thanks for the info... hmm strange that i guess everybodies different have u always got a positive Michelle2525? thats cool hopefully thats all the symptoms u have fingers crossed eh... do u find it easy to lose the lbs then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->