New Weaners

God! I just tried some breakfast with Erin (small bowl of tropical cereal and half banana) and as I spooned it in, she was pushing it back out again :wacko: She had the same cereal a week or so ago and liked it! I tried a few spoons but she hardly had any of it - then tried the banana and she munched on it a bit, took 'big' chunks off and sucked on it, but most came back out. Tried some more cereal with the same effect. Hardly seems worth it!

I don't want to push her, but should I just keep trying? She will pick it up, won't she?

She'll get there hun, my friends LO is 7 months and he is only just starting to get there, I think it's a slow journey but she is doing so well so far!

I agree about the gagging thing it's hard to sit back and let them move the food around their mouth.

I'm having lots of fruit and veggies delivered today so we can try new things tomorrow :happydance:

Ceri it sounds like Erin is doing brill :thumbup: have you tried giving her the preloaded spoon to see what she does? I thought Naya would throw it on the floor but she actually put it straight in her mouth!

Hello to all the other ladies :) so glad we have each other for support! :friends:

I have tried her with a spoon - it does go in her mouth, but then she tries to play the drums with it!! It still has a bit of food on it so gets a tad messy! :haha: Will see hopw we get on at lunch - just wanted to try brekkie out to see what she thought.

The mess is all part of the fun :haha: hasn't taken my dog long to work out that food often comes flying off the highchair :rofl:

We haven't tried breakfast yet, apart from around 6/7am when she wakes for a bf, Naya doesn't wake until 10! Is that too late?!

^Nah my LO often has 'breakfast' at 10 or 11, he likes to sleep in as well :D

Hmmmm, well! Today was a bit of success, we had bits in the nappy - black specks which I have been told is the banana. yay! Well done Maxy! He didn't like swede, LOVES his broccoli but isn't a fan of the mango which is prob my fault as I gave it straight from the fridge so I think it was too cold for him.

Sounds good Jibber!! Erin always has bits of broccolli in her nappy :haha: looks very strange TBH!!

My lunch time was not very successfull! DH is home poorly, so Erin spent most of the time staring at him sucking on broccolli! She had some roasted pepper and courgette again which went ok. I feel so frustrated though! I know it's silly!!

We've had a good tea time :) Naya had melon and mango (we had pizza so she couldn't have what we had) and she seemed to like both! She cried when she dropped all the melon but was soon comforted when she managed to grasp the slippery mango! I love seeing her little face when she has a new taste :)

I'm a bit stressed at the moment tbh, Naya has been waking almost hourly some nights and people keep saying it's because she's hungry for purée :( she doesn't want a bf though just a cuddle back so sleep. Hopefully it's just a phase! :)

It won't be hungry for puree! If shes not hungry for BF shes not gonna want something she has never had before :wacko: I would say phase - fx it passes asap!

That's what I keep saying but you people always know best don't they! :dohh:

Hi ladies! So I spent about ten minutes expressing milk into a bowl, to mix with baby porridge, then mashed in a couple of pieces of chopped banana, only for the bowl to be empty within two minutes (ok, so most of it went all over her clothes and hands and face lol but I'm certain she ate some!) It really didn't seem worth the effort!

She also kept trying to cry if I tried to take the spoon off her to help - she wanted to completely feed herself. Little madam lol

(CeriB I LOVE your LOs name btw!)

I'm a bit nervous about trying new things with her. She just seems to be getting quite sick of banana overload.

And JEALOUS of everyone whose baby's like to lie in!! My LO is up between 6 and 7am without fail, even if she was fussy the evening before and didn't get to sleep till 11pm!!

Hi ladies, i havent had a chance to read all this thread but i would love some advice. I started to try weaning about 3 weeks ago and TBH its been a disaster. she is 27 weeks this week and she still is eating next to nothing. she will not even open her mouth at times and I would love to have some advice and just see how other new weaning mums are getting on.

she seems to only liek brocolli? she ahs hated everything else. today she didnt weaken up to 9.30am- which is not like her!!! she got a bottle and then at 11.30am i offered her some baby rice mixed with some of my homemade apple and pear puree- she seemed ok with it but i literally had to force the spoon in to get her to take it-- its so frustrating- i feel like im doing such a shit job, every friend i have st home here just seem to be great with weaning

Hi ladies! So I spent about ten minutes expressing milk into a bowl, to mix with baby porridge, then mashed in a couple of pieces of chopped banana, only for the bowl to be empty within two minutes (ok, so most of it went all over her clothes and hands and face lol but I'm certain she ate some!) It really didn't seem worth the effort!

She also kept trying to cry if I tried to take the spoon off her to help - she wanted to completely feed herself. Little madam lol

I'm a bit nervous about trying new things with her. She just seems to be getting quite sick of banana overload.

And JEALOUS of everyone whose baby's like to lie in!! My LO is up between 6 and 7am without fail, even if she was fussy the evening before and didn't get to sleep till 11pm!!

Thanks hunny! :blush:

Have you tried her with finger foods? I don't think Erin is keen on the spoon either but seems pretty good with sticks of fruit and veg. Maybe try her with some bits like that? Broccolli is a good one to start with as it has it's own handle :haha: just keep the stalk long so she can grip it.

I understand your pain with the "lie ins". Erin is up every day about 6.30am! She will not go back to sleep after this! I want a lie in!!!!

Hi ladies, i havent had a chance to read all this thread but i would love some advice. I started to try weaning about 3 weeks ago and TBH its been a disaster. she is 27 weeks this week and she still is eating next to nothing. she will not even open her mouth at times and I would love to have some advice and just see how other new weaning mums are getting on.

she seems to only liek brocolli? she ahs hated everything else. today she didnt weaken up to 9.30am- which is not like her!!! she got a bottle and then at 11.30am i offered her some baby rice mixed with some of my homemade apple and pear puree- she seemed ok with it but i literally had to force the spoon in to get her to take it-- its so frustrating- i feel like im doing such a shit job, every friend i have st home here just seem to be great with weaning

:wave: Hi CMC! Maybe your LO has a spoon aversion too? Especially if she likes broccolli? Mayb try her with more finger foods? Don't think your doing a shit job :nope: everyone thinks they are doing rubbish at the beginning and LOs need to take their time figuring it out. She won't 'need' food for hunger for ages yet so she will get it when she needs too. Just relax about it and try new things to see whay suits her best.

We are having a late lunch again today as we've been out this morning and its nearly nap time. Think I'm gonna try some laughing cow cheese on pitta today! Then maybe some yoghurt! Need to try something other than veg! At least its keeping her regular :blush:

We have just started weaning, we are doing Ella led weaning. We had planned BLW but she was getting frustrated with fruit slipping out her hand so now I mash a bit of food and she has the same thing on her tray. I let her play with whats on the tray for a bit before offering her some on a spoon. I let her lead with how much she has, when she lets me know she had had enough then I stop - sometimes thats after a little bit other times she will finish the whole bowl. So far the only thing she has taken to her mouth is cauli and that was just a lick.

So far we have tried - apple, banana, pear, peach, carrot, potato, sweet potato, and cauli.

I have been steaming things in the microwave or baking them in the case of potato. However I am getting a steamer tomorrow.

I have found she prefers textures rather than smooth.

Thanks hunny! :blush:

Have you tried her with finger foods? I don't think Erin is keen on the spoon either but seems pretty good with sticks of fruit and veg. Maybe try her with some bits like that? Broccolli is a good one to start with as it has it's own handle :haha: just keep the stalk long so she can grip it.

I understand your pain with the "lie ins". Erin is up every day about 6.30am! She will not go back to sleep after this! I want a lie in!!!!

:wave: Hi CMC! Maybe your LO has a spoon aversion too? Especially if she likes broccolli? Mayb try her with more finger foods? Don't think your doing a shit job :nope: everyone thinks they are doing rubbish at the beginning and LOs need to take their time figuring it out. She won't 'need' food for hunger for ages yet so she will get it when she needs too. Just relax about it and try new things to see whay suits her best.

We are having a late lunch again today as we've been out this morning and its nearly nap time. Think I'm gonna try some laughing cow cheese on pitta today! Then maybe some yoghurt! Need to try something other than veg! At least its keeping her regular :blush:

Hi ceriB- you might just be right- I was eating a banana today and she was sitting on my knee- she grabbed it out of my hand and munched on it for about 10mins- im not sure how much went in but i felt then that maybe she likes that better- i tried to give her some puree of sweet potato and carrot today and I had to let her have a spoon- everytime she put the spoon near her mouth (usually poking her eye instead) i was able to feed her a little of it!!!! im going to try and read through the thread tonight and maybe see how tomorrow goes- its sooooo good when others are starting too and can understand

My LO is always up at 7am- always- just last night was a bit crazy in our house and she never went to sleep to 10pm- which is way past her bedtime- she did wake at 6am but i put her beside me in bed and she feel asleep to 9.30!!

Naya lies in but recently she has woke every 1-2 hours lol :rofl:

Sounds like we are all making some progress! Naya had some broccoli off my plate today :)

I have a question about breakfast - I quite often have porridge so I want Naya to be able to join in. I'm guessing I should use baby porridge but what sorts do they do? And do I use breast milk, formula, water or what? It's all so confusing! I just thought it'd be nice to put a preloaded spoon on her highchair tray for her to have whilst I'm eating mine :)

CMC - You will see if any banana went in when it comes back out again :haha: It looks like little black threads.

When I give Erin a spoon, she tries to put it in her mouth, but sometimes goes in her eye or up her nose first!! That will get better with practice though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->