Newborn poop question

nullaby

Reaction score
Hi all :)

So My ds is 2 weeks old, at his checkup he was close to birth weight (2 oz away) grew an inch and almost an inch in head circumference so Dr wasn't worried but I'm concerned and feel like a failure:cry:. Breastfeeding started out great, he had golden mustard seedy poops on the end of day 2, fed like a champ. Lately he's falling asleep mid feed and I don't feel empty. Yesterday I couldn't wake him so pumped and got 1.5 oz so he clearly had more to eat! His poops have turned from golden mustard to mustard mixed with a little bit of pickle relish. I know green poop means imbalance but how can I get him to finish when he falls asleep? I try tickling his feet and since he's gaining slowly I know he needs to eat, I'm starting to get upset :(

Try some of these:
Stroke his face, tickle his hands & feet, blow gently on him, burp him, strip down his clothes, change his nappy.

Don't get upset or worry, if he still seems to have an imbalance you could always pump before his feed?

xx

You're not a failure at all!! It sounds like you're doing well to me. My LO had green poop for a long time. I never figured out why because he always seemed healthy. (At least I hope he was). The weight gain is fine! Don't worry. Do what PP said and try to keep him awake, but you're doing fine.

My little girl had the same problem being such a heavy sleeper. The nurses at the hospital would strip my LO down, change her, wipe her with a cold rag, etc, all at once without giving her a chance to wake up on her own and I think it trained her to get angry while feeding. After we left the hospital, we laid off her a bit, but whenever we managed to wake her enough to feed, she would wake up too much and throw the biggest tantrum, kicking and hitting me, scratching both of us, etc, and it was so frustrating. After her third weight check she didn't gain a thing, and I had to throw in the towel for my mental health. The stress of each feed was just too much to handle.

Of course, our babies are obviously different, but I would definitely approach softly when it comes to waking him as not to overstimulate him as soon as he woke up. The pp has some great waking ideas though. And Pumping beforehand will get rid of your excess foremilk and let your baby get to the fatty, nutritional hindmilk, which should help the imbalance.

You really are doing great though! Just like in pregnancy, your own body is nourishing him, and that is awesome! Good luck!

My little guy always falls asleep. I been keeping a pack of wipes with me and wiping his face/feet..seems to wake him up. Or i squeeze my boob and the extra milk normally sets him of again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->