Newborns Weight

staceymy

Mummy To Two Princesses
Reaction score

My midwife came out for my booking in appointment yesterday. As she was filling in the previous babies & births bit she asked what Olivia weighed. I said 6lb 15oz.

She said i want this baby to weigh alot more than that?! As if she was really under weight, i thought this was a healthy size?

What do you ladies consider a healthy weight for a new born baby?

I do realise that babies these days are weighing heavier at birth. She was only 8 days early too, & thats only a oz off 7lb!

Thanks in advance.

I've been having growth scans for the past few weeks because they think my little boy is going to be a small baby. If he keeps on track he'll be just under 7lbs at 40 weeks too. The last midwife I saw told me not to worry she said that some doctors their knickers in a knot over the wieght of babies and they should just accept that some women have smaller babies, and that just under 7lbs was a perfectly acceptable nad healthy weight anyway.
I should just try and ignore her honey, every woman and baby is an individual and we're not all going to churn out identical 8lbers just because that's supposed to be the average weight.

Most women only grow the size of baby that their bodies can give birth to. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as your baby's healthy that's what matters

Err i think that mw is talking crap! If you want my honest opinion lol

6lb 15 is a perfectly healthy weight for a baby.

No wonder women get driven to stress about totally unecessary things when health professionals come out with things like that!

Welll gawd knows what she would say to me
Jake 5lb 6oz
katie 5lb 10oz
ethan 6lb 3oz
I dont do big babies though i am only 4ft 11 so maybe thats why

I would say that was fine and the MW is just being silly

Sounds like the MW is over reacting, all my sisters babies were under 6lb 7oz and my BIL girlfriend just had a perfectly healthy girl who went home the same day, she weighed 6lb 1oz so I really wouldn't worry about it as long as the baby is healthy what does weight matter, take care :hugs: XX

Sounds silly to me! A lot of babies these days weigh MORE than that but it was not uncommon (when I was born even-1989) to have a baby in the 6lb range. Both my boyfriend and I were just over 6lbs each; I was a week overdue so I imagine I would have been teensy if I came out "on time" or early.. while he was 3 weeks early, so I'm sure he'd be closer to 7 if not over it if he waited longer :)

Also.. from what I've heard the next baby is USUALLY bigger, my sister was 2lbs bigger than me, my mum had her 2 years later, and my brother was 9lbs, he was born 4 years after me.

Tabitha was 7lb14 but i'm 5ft8 and OHs family are all really tall and rugby players. Like someone else said ur babies size depends on yours amd ur OHs.
Though maybe she was just saying that ur LO should start putting weight on and nothing offensive :hugs: Dont worry about it!!!

Layla was ovedue and only 6lb , They didnt say anything at the time .
And when i was pregnant with Finnley they said i needed growth scans as i had allready had a small baby .

They confused me lol . xx .

Mine were 6lb 10,
7lb and 7lb 1.... i think your MW is crackers lol xxxxx

7 lbs 8 oz is the average birth weight. Last I knew of anyhow...

mine have been

7 lbs 2.3
7 lbs 2.8
5 lbs 15
7 lbs 10

I think that sounds fine chick, MW talking out of her bum maybe? All the way through my last pregnancy mw was like ''Oh, you're fat so of course your baby will either be under 5lbs and end up in nicu, or will be so huge you'll have to be induced early''. When he was born of his own accord at 38 + 2 he was 7lbs 5oz, not to shabby me thought, you know your baby was a healthy size chick, ignore her you and your baby will be fine xxx

thats a load of rubbish what ur mw said. your babys weight is perfectly fine. with my daughter the midwife told me she was going to be about 7lb and she was 8lb 120z. exactly the same weight me and her dad was as babies. it depends on your frame and pelvis size

Amelie was 6lb4oz and no one has had any concerns!

You can't win hun becuase if you had a big baby they would be complaining about that too!! Honestly, don't give it a second thought hun. I always have big babies: 8lb 1oz, 9lb 6oz and 9lb 11oz and I don't care!!

Just don't worry about it hun xxx

me my bro and my sister were all "small" by todays terms, she was 5lbh somethng my bro was 6lb something and i was 7lb 2oz hopefully i will have small babies as run in both our families.....i was said to be a big baby back then, my mum called me her baby elephant!!!

Sound a very silly comment to me. she was nearly 7lbs as well. She was about the average size of a newborn girl. Ignore her hun
xx

My baby, Anna was 6lbs 1oz. That was never a problem. She gained weight really quickly and was very healthy after coming out of hospital :D

Don't worry - sounds like your MW made a flippant comment and didn't quite realise the effect it would have. I'm sure she didn't mean a baby under that would be unhealthy (as if she did she isn't doing her job right!) she probably just meant it as in... well tbh I'm not sure what the hell she meant!

Anyway to answer your question, no 6lbs 15oz is nothing to worry about. Second babies are usually bigger anyways.... Try not to worry about it. :hugs:

They base it on your hight weight etc. The average weight of a newborn is 7 1/2 lb. (uk btw)

I've been scanned regularly with all 4 of mine as they think i should have 8lb babies but mine have been 6lb 2, 7lb 4 (11 days late) 6lb 4oz and 6lb 13. It does my head in i obviously only have small babies and they've all been perfectly healthy but it doesn't stop them going on at me. I've alredy got scans booked this time at 28, 32 and 36 wks so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->