Newly Preggers brand new job! HELP!

lellis82

Reaction score
I found out Monday that I'm PREGNANT with my first. I'm extremely happy.

Wednesday I found out that I got a job that I applied for 2 months ago. I gave my notice at work and will start there in 2 weeks. It is a much better job, better pay and FINALLY no travel required. (My current job I travel 2-3 weeks a month.)

I have a sense of guilt that I just took a new job when I'm newly pregnant.

What does everyone think? Is that ethical? Should I try to wait longer to tell them?

Thanks for your advice ladies.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've been working for a company for 4 years but I just transitioned to a new position - the same day I found out I was pregnant - I signed my paperwork. I have a good relationship with my supervisor so I went ahead and told her - she was completely supportive. I think it all depends on the kind of company it is and what your supervisor is like. MOST places know that hiring a woman in a certain age range means understanding she could get pregnant at any time. It's completely within your right not to say anything until you're ready - it's not unethical. But I do understand it leaves you feeling a little awkward. You don't want a new employer to feel like you slipped one by them. Most employers should be nothing but supportive if and when you tell them. Maybe wait until you get a better feel for the job and your supervisor. But when the time does come to tell them - don't apologize for being pregnant or feel like you have to explain yourself. Nothing (not even a job) is more important than starting your own family. And if you start to get the feeling you're being "punished" for being pregnant - it might not be the place you really want to continue working at.

you have to do what is best for you, so don't feel bad at all taking on the new job. I would wait a bit on telling them, prove to them you can do amazing work that way when the time comes to tell them it won't be such a potential blow to the job.

Best of luck :) and congrats on the baby and job :)

It completely ethical, IMO.

You intend on staying at this company long-term and as long as you're willing to commit to the work up until your maternity leave begins and after your baby is born then I see nothing wrong with it.
BTW the US maternity leave is 12 weeks of no pay is HORRIBLE, so it's a good thing you're making more money to help you save for the big expenses.

Don't feel guilty- you're making a smart career move and if they had hired you two months ago when you applied, you probably wouldn't be feeling guilty, would you? ;)

& CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW POSITION!! :yipee:

I agree, completely ethical...unless you plan on not going back after baby, then I have problems with "using" the employer until then. Otherwise, they could not change their hiring decision based on the fact you are pregnant, so why should you feel guilty?

I was 10 weeks pregnant when I was offered and started my job, and knew but did not tell them. I figured if we weren't telling the world, I had no obligation to tell them. I would have waited until 13 weeks when I told everyone else and told them then, but had a bleed my second day so had to tell.

Good luck.

Thank you ladies! You made me feel so much better. I will go in and kick butt for the first while and then tell them.

Yes, I plan on going back after the baby. We are sadly not in a financial position where I can stay home.

Oh and thank you lovely ladies for the wonderful Congrats about the bump and the job! :) So very excited.

Congrats on the job and the pregnancy! I'm in a little bit different situation of NEEDING a job (I just finished school) and being pregnant. My hubby and I would LOVE for me to be a stay at home mom, but can't afford it yet. We seriously NEED the money, but I do feel a little guilty on applying for jobs while pregnant and not telling them, but really, it's none of their business yet, and it would be illegal for them not to hire me because I am pregnant.

Congrats, I'm in the same boat though further along. I'm 11 weeks today and just started a new job on Tuesday. They originally said it was a temp position (3-6 months max), but found out today they LOVE me and are thinking of bringing me on full time (after only 3 days, woot woot). Anywho, I haven't told them I'm pregnant, and luckily am not a very small girl so it just looks like I carry a lot of my weight in my belly. I want to tell them but I think I'll wait until it's VERY obvious that I'm not just fat.

I'm kinda in the same position. I lost my job the month before I found out I was pregnant. Well in a funny way it was the "day" I considered pregnant as the day I left was my LMP date. But I'm now in the position of possibly applying for a job while pregnant. I feel quilty applying knowing I'll be out for maternity and pregnany related stuff.

Hi,

I was in the same boat when I was pregnant with my first. I found out I was pregnant the day after I accepted the new job. The really bad part was that I was taking over for a girl that was also leaving on mat leave...... ah!!! I needed to work, so I didn't really have a choice. In Canada there is a mandatory 3 month probation on a new job, so they could fire you for no real reason other than "not a good fit" in that time frame. But after 3 months they need to show that they gave you warnings etc, or that you did something that warrants being fired. Needless to say it was a very hard 3 months for me. But I am still very happy that I waited for the 3months. I felt guilty, but I really think they would have replaced me (which I don't really blame them) if I had told them earlier. So you do what is best for you. You matter just as much as your new employer. Just my 2 cents.

I'm also about the same.
I found out two days after my orientation for my new job. We had been TTC for a long time, but I of course didn't tell them that when I interviewed. Heh...why would I?
Anyway, they have the 90 day waiting period before insurance kicks in, and 90 day probationary period. So essentially, I have to wait 3 months (i'll be 4 months along!) until I can tell them at work.
Again, I know they can't fire me for being pregnant, but they can conveniently find or fabricate another reason that, like said before, I'm "not a good fit."
I'm just afraid of slipping or them somehow finding out.
I feel like I'm lying....but oh well.

I'm also about the same.
I found out two days after my orientation for my new job. We had been TTC for a long time, but I of course didn't tell them that when I interviewed. Heh...why would I?
Anyway, they have the 90 day waiting period before insurance kicks in, and 90 day probationary period. So essentially, I have to wait 3 months (i'll be 4 months along!) until I can tell them at work.
Again, I know they can't fire me for being pregnant, but they can conveniently find or fabricate another reason that, like said before, I'm "not a good fit."
I'm just afraid of slipping or them somehow finding out.
I feel like I'm lying....but oh well.

I know it's hard. I felt bad too. But you will be okay! I remember the day I had to go and tell them... I was 19 weeks pregnant... Was so nervous. But I really feel I did the right thing in not telling them earlier. hang in there.

It is a really tough situation. Minivan and Kaluacupcake, those are both tough situations. I think I'm going to wait as long as I can. I have to dress really professional, which will make it a little difficult but I will do what I can.

The day i found out i went for an interview for job, as i was semi unemployed (i have shifts through the nursing bank where i live) they got back to me 2days later saying they loved me at which point i told them i'd just found out i was pregnant, the first lady said that was fine, but a week later the HR lady said for health an safety reasons i would be at risk, but they now had to legally offer me a job which made me feel crap at the time, so i wouldn't be allowed to do that same job but they have been very nice and given me a part time job so all i need to do is make up my hours.

I wouldn't worry people no matter what stage in life people are they always need jobs,they legally can't turn you away its discrimination.

It is a really tough situation. Minivan and Kaluacupcake, those are both tough situations. I think I'm going to wait as long as I can. I have to dress really professional, which will make it a little difficult but I will do what I can.

Motherhood Maternity has some nice professional clothing - [LINK]

or if you're willing to spend more, A Pea In The Pod has some VERY nice work clothing - [LINK]

Should help things out with the work clothing difficulties. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->