Nicknames for privates?

My littlest just knows them as lady bits and chest, or private parts.

When DS was littler it was a 'toodle', now it's private parts.​

I think that they're not really known as that. So for example if a child said such and such touched my noon or winkle to a teacher, they probably wouldn't see it as a concern as it doesn't instantly say vulva/vagina or penis. Things like Willy have been around such a long time and are widely used so someone outside of the family would know if they disclosed to them.

But if one of yours said to you 'The teacher touched my winkle' surely you would know what that meant?

When B was police it made absolutely no difference what a little one called it, and 9/10 they wouldn't even say they were touched in the penis/willy/winkle etc. - they just said they were touched and pointed.

I just think that its harmless not teaching them the 'real' names xx

If a child told me that someone touched their "noon" or "winkle" I would have absolutely no idea what they were talking about, but maybe that is just where I live.

I will be using the proper names for those body parts, not necessarily because I want her to be able to accurately describe where she was touched if god forbid that ever happened, but because I don't want to portray her genitals as being awkward or embarrassing. To me, using a cutesy name and being uncomfortable myself with the real name for her parts is teaching her that her genitals are something to be embarrassed of and they shouldn't be talked about. I want her to be comfortable with her body, to know what her body is for, and to be able to discuss with me any problems or concerns she is having (medical or otherwise) that might involve her breasts or genitals. For me it's about treating her "private parts" as just another part of her body, so when she gets older and gets her period or gets a yeast infection or whatnot she feels just as comfortable talking to me about that as she does telling me she has a stomach ache or a sore shoulder. My own mother never discussed our genitals or referred to them at all growing up, she certainly never used the term vagina, and I never felt comfortable talking to her about my period or anything sexual. I remember getting a yeast infection when I was in high school and I saved up my allowance for a few weeks (all the while in agony!) to buy monistat for myself because I was too embarrassed to ask my mom to buy it for me. I never told my mom when I started my period because it would have been awkward and embarrassing and I had to figure it all out for myself. I want as much as possible to take the awkwardness out of these things for my own daughter.

If I ever need to discuss genitals for some reason with my OH or my doctor or whoever I always use the proper terms. I personally would feel very immature referring to my vagina as my "fanny" or something. My OH also uses the proper terms, just the other day he changed Isla's diaper and told me she had a slight rash on her labia. We don't cringe or feel awkward using the proper terms because there is nothing awkward or cringe worthy about having labia! It's normal in our household and I like it that way!

In my experience, children tend to point as well as use whatever word they use, I've always found its quite clear what they're trying to say tbh. As part of my uni course my lecturer added a side note to be wary that children use a whole array of names to refer to their 'privates' but that in all her years in the early years, she's always understood what the child was saying in the few cases she's has to deal with.

I'll be teaching my daughter something that isn't the real name for when she's younger... Not because I'm portraying her genitals or any genitals for that matter as something to be embarrassed about, purely because that's what I've chosen and it's very much the norm? I didn't realise it was such a big topic! I'm a little bit surprised that that has even been brought up, also a bit put out that simply using a different name could mean that my daughter won't be able to confide in me about xyz... :wacko: :haha: she will know them when she's older or whenever she comes across the proper word, not that I'll be hiding the terms. Not de-normalising anything, just a change in a word!

If a child told me that someone touched their "noon" or "winkle" I would have absolutely no idea what they were talking about, but maybe that is just where I live.

I will be using the proper names for those body parts, not necessarily because I want her to be able to accurately describe where she was touched if god forbid that ever happened, but because I don't want to portray her genitals as being awkward or embarrassing. To me, using a cutesy name and being uncomfortable myself with the real name for her parts is teaching her that her genitals are something to be embarrassed of and they shouldn't be talked about. I want her to be comfortable with her body, to know what her body is for, and to be able to discuss with me any problems or concerns she is having (medical or otherwise) that might involve her breasts or genitals. For me it's about treating her "private parts" as just another part of her body, so when she gets older and gets her period or gets a yeast infection or whatnot she feels just as comfortable talking to me about that as she does telling me she has a stomach ache or a sore shoulder. My own mother never discussed our genitals or referred to them at all growing up, she certainly never used the term vagina, and I never felt comfortable talking to her about my period or anything sexual. I remember getting a yeast infection when I was in high school and I saved up my allowance for a few weeks (all the while in agony!) to buy monistat for myself because I was too embarrassed to ask my mom to buy it for me. I never told my mom when I started my period because it would have been awkward and embarrassing and I had to figure it all out for myself. I want as much as possible to take the awkwardness out of these things for my own daughter.

If I ever need to discuss genitals for some reason with my OH or my doctor or whoever I always use the proper terms. I personally would feel very immature referring to my vagina as my "fanny" or something. My OH also uses the proper terms, just the other day he changed Isla's diaper and told me she had a slight rash on her labia. We don't cringe or feel awkward using the proper terms because there is nothing awkward or cringe worthy about having labia! It's normal in our household and I like it that way!

Its the same here really. I use the correct terms...but I also talk about it over tea in my red tents...everyone around me is used to it. My daughter knows the terms but doesnt always say them.

Boys are much easier!

I also don't see the link between calling genitals by the proper names will mean you're children are more likely to be open with you and confide in you when they are older.

I don't like using the proper terms for genitals and my daughter refers to hers as her bits. I know she is young still, but we are incredibly close and already have a strong bond. I've told her about childbirth and what happens and I will strongly encourage her to confide in me and be open with me as she grows up. I struggle to understand how not calling her genitals her vagina, vulva, labia etc will have any impact on that :shrug: I think it's more to do with the relationship between mum/daughter than anything else.

I also don't see the link between calling genitals by the proper names will mean you're children are more likely to be open with you and confide in you when they are older.

I don't like using the proper terms for genitals and my daughter refers to hers as her bits. I know she is young still, but we are incredibly close and already have a strong bond. I've told her about childbirth and what happens and I will strongly encourage her to confide in me and be open with me as she grows up. I struggle to understand how not calling her genitals her vagina, vulva, labia etc will have any impact on that :shrug: I think it's more to do with the relationship between mum/daughter than anything else.

Totally agree with this. I wouldn't have felt that comfortable discussing most things with my mum as we weren't close (I had older sisters to talk to though) but DS and I are really close and we chat about absolutely everything, yet none of us really use the proper words unless it's in a medical or academic context.

He had an incident at school last week and came straight out of school and told me a boy kicked him in his 'privates', no confusion there.

:shrug:

I think some IS down to relationship but I think ability to be open is part of that. I was close to my mum but she never spoke about periods etc and so I never told her about them. Me on the other hand, cant wait for daughter to start her menarche!

I think some IS down to relationship but I think ability to be open is part of that. I was close to my mum but she never spoke about periods etc and so I never told her about them. Me on the other hand, cant wait for daughter to start her menarche!

But you can have an open relationship without having to refer to genitals as their real names.

My relationship with my mum is not good at all and it is constantly strained. This has nothing to do with how she named my genitals growing up but everything to do with her general warmth towards me, her personality type, expectations of me and so on. If I was brought up calling my genitals vulva, it would have zero bearing on my relationship with my mum now :)

Willy (or tiddle sometimes) and balls here. I don't have a girl but the question has come up about 'what do girls have?' I just say I have girly bits....

I know the correct term for everything but I have never used them! I would only use them if there is a problem & I'm chatting with the Doctor.

I don't see anything wrong with using slang words for parts of the body, same as boobs & bum. If a child said their winkle hurt (or someone touched my winkle etc) I would have an idea what they meant but would ask them to point to where it hurts (I would do the same even if they used the proper name) to make sure there is no confusion.

ETA: Genitals weren't really discussed when I was growing up. We had our names for them, which wasn't vagina/vulva/labia. I was still happy enough to tell my mam that I had started my period though :shrug:

I guess mine are older, so Jade has picked that up. She knows about periods. When mine asked how babies were made I said outright, ive never said a different version. Like my son knows about what teenage boys do! I just give out information as casually like directions. Oh jeez I am like the cringy mum in meet the fockers 😅 my mum used to be very straight about us talking when we were younger. Shes not so bad now, i got her to a red tent once.

I'll add that whilst I do use a mixture of the normal words aswell as willy.. My mum always used a different word (tuppence or tuppy) and despite that we have always had an open relationship in that I can and always have been able to speak to her about anything, including genitals and I've always just chosen to use the correct female terms myself. I've always known the correct terms as does Rio do I don't see that there's much harm in using another word if you wish to. I'd like to think asking my son to wash his willy instead of penis won't affect our relationship in any way.

Totally agree with this :thumbup: My eldest son has never called them by their proper names but when he had a problem he came and told me he had a problem with his privates and needed to see a doctor (he was 15 so needed me to make the appointment for him) We have a really good relationship and that alone made him know he could tell me anything regardless of the word used. :thumbup:

My boys have been told the proper names but they can decide if they want to use them, my eldest it a bit more shy when it comes to things that but my youngest will throw 'penis' into every sentence he can :haha:

Our lady bits in this house are called "penny" have been even when I was a little girl x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->