niece gave my son ice pop!!! I'm sooo angry!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mommytomax

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has been in a similar situation?
My 15 year old niece was watching my 19 week old son and she had an ice pop.

I was in the kitchen doing batches of purees.

She came in laughing and said that my LO had tried to grab the ice pop so she gave him some and he frowned!!!

I was absolutely livid and told her so, then I went upstairs with LO and cried my eyes out.

Am I overreacting?
I always prided myself on the fact that I would not allow anything 'bad' in my LO's diet and now I feel that this has been taken away from me.

I am very annoyed and upset and do not know how to react towards my niece now.

Any advice is appreciated.

i wouldn't really say an ice pop is THAT bad.. wouldn't have bothered me tbh, if she'd sat and fed him the whole thing then perhaps.. but just a little taste won't have done any harm .. obviously she shouldn't have done it without asking but she probably just didn't think :shrug: x

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has been in a similar situation?
My 15 year old niece was watching my 19 week old son and she had an ice pop.

I was in the kitchen doing batches of purees.

She came in laughing and said that my LO had tried to grab the ice pop so she gave him some and he frowned!!!

I was absolutely livid and told her so, then I went upstairs with LO and cried my eyes out.

Am I overreacting?
I always prided myself on the fact that I would not allow anything 'bad' in my LO's diet and now I feel that this has been taken away from me.

I am very annoyed and upset and do not know how to react towards my niece now.

Any advice is appreciated.

I can understand being upset but i don't know if your niece deserved to be yelled at. She is only 15 and probably didn't know she wasn't supposed to give him any. Did you explain to here before you gave your LO to her that she is not to feed him anything unless you ask first?

I'm sure she didn't do it with any intention of hurting your LO or you. Mistakes happen. Just take a deep breath. I'm sure it didn't hurt him and everything will be fine.

When i was 13 i gave my lil sister a bottle top to suck on because i couldn't find her binky. I didn't know about sucking in air and gas, and my mother had left me to watch her. When she got back i was yelled at, and i had no idea why. If you didn't explain to her that you didn't want anything fed to him unless she asked you first, how would she know?

thanks.

hes my first so im probably gona react this way about many things. lol

just annoyed me - i know how much crap and E numbers are in those things!

I agree. She is only 15 and it sounds like she didn't know any better. Just explain to her that next time he is not to have any. It will be okay. :hugs:

To be completly honest I think your overreacting a tiny bit. I think you have ever right to be upset with her becuase you didn't want your baby to be eating "junk" yet but one little taste cannot do any harm and it wont chang the way you are going to feed your baby. As far as diet goes I don't think its the one off things that are bad its the way you feed your baby on a regular basis. My baby had a little lick of a popsicle at 3 months old :dohh:. I bet there is less sugar in the little lick than there would be in a dose of medication.

Just explain to your neice that you don't want your LO to have sugary foods just yet and you would like it if she asked before she gave your LO any food.

I didnt think I needed to explain that to her because hes still only breastfeeding at the moment.
We're going to start weaning him soon which is why I was pureeing food to freeze ready.

it was instant reaction to tell her off when she told me - I thought she would have known better.

I agree with the others, your niece may have seen others do things like this with babies and thought it was ok. Maybe you should just explain why you were upset because i think that you were a little harsh.

Ive always been the one letting the babies have little tastes of things lol! naughty mum!

i have had this happen with my sister in law...giving my at the time 4 month old daughter wine!!! i was so angry and i havent spoke to her in 2 years!!

i was out making bottles in the kitchen and my mum and little sister were watching LO in the sitting room, when i went back in they were both laughing... They were letting LO suck on a jelly sweet. I was not happy! Specially since he was only 8weeks old! I told them that it was a stupid thing to do and they better not do it again! So i understand hun. But its done now. No harm came of it. Im sure she didnt mean any harm. And its your child you can react how you like xxx

i know that was your reaction because thats your baby and you would give your baby that, BUT imo i personally dont think i would of yelled or anything as she is only 15 and most probs didnt know. im sure your LO will be fine hun x

ETA: my MIL gave LO chocolate when he was like 1 week old and i flipped but she should of known better and she lied and said she didnt do it :grr:

Don't feel too bad though... We are all protective of our LOs and just want the best for them!

:hugs: Im sure she didnt realise - we've heard of MIL's who all do things knowing fine well. Now thats a cause for reaction lol

i have had this happen with my sister in law...giving my at the time 4 month old daughter wine!!! i was so angry and i havent spoke to her in 2 years!!

whoa. wine is very different than an ice pop! I would have flipped on her too. :growlmad::growlmad:

wine!!!! thats awful!

im so careful when it comes to my LO - hes the most precious person in my whole world and in future I will be telling everyone how I feel so this doesnt happen again!!!

Wowza. :nope: I don't blame you! That is madness on her part!

:hug: Hey, we're all prone to a bit of over reaction when it comes to our babies. I'd try to smooth things over by apologising for yelling but making sure she knows that she must always check with you before giving anything to your baby or doing something new with him. You could try explaining how important it is that he starts off with the right foods.

I agree with the others, your niece probably didn't know babies that young aren't really meant to have things like that as well as the fact you didn't want your LO having things like that anyway. Icepops aren't really that bad anyway unless you eat a whole one. I would probably apologise to your niece and just tell her in future if she wants to let him try something of hers then to ask you first

its okay he is 4 months. ust explain to her about babies and what they can have at certain ages..he your 1st its cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"