Night feeds.

XKatX

Reaction score
Some of you don't give your LO milk in the night if they wake - just water, or a dummy. How young can this start from? Oliver goes down at about 9-10, then wakes around 2-3 and I give him my boob, then he sleeps until 6 or 7. Sometmes he doesn't wake until 6, with no feed in the night. Can I drop the night feed and only offer him water, or is he too young for this?
In the past he was going down at 10.30-11 and sleeping until 6, so I know he can go for w hile without it!

At that age I wouldn't drop a feed but we didn't stop giving Hannah formula at night until this past week (she's 4.5 months old) and even than there are some nights that she still needs that feed. From what I've read babies aren't capable of eating enough to sustain them through the night until they are about 4 months old

I think hes too young to drop the night feed tbh, i would let him lead the way.
He will also go through many growth spurts in the next few months so will need these feeds.
I would say 6 months + to give water in the night, just my opinion hun. You do what u feel comfortable with x

He is too young...

Having 1 feed throughout the night is actually really good at the age... That is exactly how Jasmine is. They are only on milk and going through too many growth spurts at this point. When they can drink 7-8oz before bed is when they will sleep longer. And also when they start having real food, with breastfeeding you will find you may have night feeds for a very long time.

I find that in the night, Jasmine sleeps however many hours per oz she had before bed... Its never failed, shes had 5oz and slept 5 hours, and she has had 4 oz and slept 4 hours or so.

Ive given her a dummy if she has woken up after 2 hours, but if she has slept for 4 hours I feed her.

I actually had a discussion about this with my doctor yesterday too... And he said 1 feed throughout the night is amazing.

especially as he's breastfed I think it's too soon. In my opinion you should only start cutting down/giving water at night when a baby reaches around 6 months. Until then, I think that it's all about what they need - if he's waking for a feed but sleeping well the rest of the night, he needs to eat!

i think hes sleeping well for age hun x jack sleep the same way.

he still to young really to be dropping the night feed x

That answers that then!!!:rofl:
I'll stick with the feeds - just didn't want to be dragging my arse out of bed if hubby could be giving water!! Suppose I should keep expressing and start getting him to give it via bottle.
Thanks for your advice girlies! x x

I'll stick with the feeds - just didn't want to be dragging my arse out of bed if hubby could be giving water!! Suppose I should keep expressing and start getting him to give it via bottle.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i with on the dragging my arse out of bed thing so hard :hugs:

Hebe doesnt have a feed over night as she sleeps from 11ish till 7am ish. She does occasionally wake in the night and I'd definately still feed her at this age. :)

I think Oliver sounds like he is doing really well. Poppy still wakes up loads compared to him! I have kind of got used to it now. I just assume that if they wake up crying, they are either wet, cold, hot or hungry and with my Pops, it's always the latter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->