night shifts whilst pregnant

lyndsay49

First time mummy
Reaction score
Hi I have just got my BFP and I am so happy about it but also a little nervous. Obviously it is abit early to tell work mates, but I am supposed to work 3 12hour night shifts next week. I have heard doing nights whilst pregnant isn't very good for the baby, just wondered if anyone had heard this before and if i will be ok?

Never heard that but I can tell ya from experience Its truely knackering.

I worked a 4 days on 4 days off 12 hour night shift through the whole of my last pregnancy.
Little man arrived perfectly!
All be it, I was very tired - just make the most of the 12 hrs off and sleep!

I have done nightshift all the way through, ( 4 ten hour shifts a week) and i am used to doing it so to be honest didn't find it too hard, i intend to carry on until i am 38 weeks too, the best thing to do is just look after yourself, get a risk asssment done(i had to as my job involves a lot of heavy labour, manual lifting) and make sure get plenty of sleep. and you should be fine.

thanks for replying, just thought i'd check, didn't want to do anything that would put baby at risk

I dont know about risk but I wont do nightshifts while pregnant. Its so exhausting and I feel like crap afterwards ordinarily, so being pregnant makes me feel like dying. I wont be doing anymore nights for a while :)

Check out your works policy. What sort of job is it that you do. I do days and nights personally i find them as hard as each other at the moment

I'm almost 35 weeks and still working some 12 hour shifts. Not in a row but if you can handle the work and nausea isnt getting to you, you'll be fine. :)

Hi. I work shift work, 3 12 hour shift that are nights, then the next week days. I haven't had any problem at all. I do notice that my first shift I am more tired than normal. I try to sleep in the morning until noon on my first day, but by midnight I am starting to get tired. That first night is the killer, each night after that is no problem. But my change over day, the day when you get off work but don't work that night, is a write off. I sleep till 12:30pm and force myself up. Really all I do is move from my bed to the couch. Just so tired.

I'm a staff nurse on a very busy, heavy ward. I'll just have to see how I go on

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->