Night terrors??

natasja32

Mum to 4 boys
Reaction score
My 3 year old wakes up sometimes just with this sudden screaming which turns into uncontrolible(sp) crying and weeping. He doesnt want to be touched or picked up. I just feel so lost as im not sure what it could be. We have to leave him alone until he just suddenly stops crying. He will then get on your lap give you a cuddle and then want to go back to bed. I find it so frightning. Do these sound like night terrors? Is there anything i can do for him while this happens??:shrug:

It sounds like he might be having night terrors. Connor gets night terrors maybe once a month now; he used to get them about twice a week. Your advised to leave them alone unless they are putting themselves in danger. You might notice if it's night terrors that your child seems awake but won't respond to your comfort. Don't try to wake him up as it's frightens them more. For Connor it can last up to 20 minutes or so. I really feel for you because I know how extremely scary it can be watching your LO go through this. The first time it happened I felt like I was in some kind of crazy horror movie. :hugs:

It does sound like he's having night terrors hun. I had them when I was little, and my mum found it so hard to watch... The main thing is though is that your LO is asleep during it, and it's unlikely to be causing him any distress, because he won't remember them the day after. I wouldn't have known that I had them until my mum told me when I was a bit older.
Is he getting enough sleep? I used to get them mainly due to the fact that I was overtired/not sleeping properly. I used to get anxious when my mum worked night shifts and not sleep apparently because she wasn't around, my mum thinks that this triggered them. If they happen at a particular time during the night then you could try waking him or just disturb him slightly to disrupt his sleep pattern.
Like luckyme said it's best not to wake him, but just stay with him to keep an eye on him until he goes back to sleep.
My mum said that with me, it continued for about a year or so, on and off, but then I stopped having them xx

lilly has them wakes up crying and tells me she is scared..... dont no where she has got the scared bit from must be her older sibblings..... but what on earth could they be having terrors about i wouldnt of thought that they have encounted anything as yet to be frightened of really . xx

Thanks girls. He does get enough sleep. And he seems awake when he has them. He is sitting up on his bed with his eyes open when i go into his room. But he just screams and cries and he doesnt want to be touched or moved. We have to leave him to just cry and he gets so upset sometimes that he makes himself gag. I find it so upsetting as i cant remember having this with my older son. As his mummmy i want to comfort him but nothing i do helps,apart from leaving him to it. I sit with and as fast as it started he will just suddly stop lay down and sleep again. I have no idea what could be giving him these night terrors but its awfull to watch. Thanks for the advice girls.:hugs:

Sounds like it to me. Hunter use to have them when he was younger. I would just hold him or rub him until it was over. He'd never wake up, once it was done he was sleeping. There is nothing you can do, and my Pediatrician said they don't remember them, or shouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->