Nighttime now a nightmare

Pielette

Mum to little men
Reaction score
Hi ladies.

My son has always been great through the night, never had any issues until the past few weeks.

He's now started waking up and screaming at all hours. Proper, full on screaming. If you go in to him he's delighted and stops and even starts giggling sometimes. He'll be sat up on his bed screaming.

It can happen up to 6 times a night. Last night it went on for an hour and a half on and off. Once you've gone in he'll go quiet and then sometimes out of nowhere start screaming again after ten minutes.

We thought maybe it was a dark issue so tried a nightlight, made no difference. Water makes no difference. You can't stay in there with him because he messes about and doesn't sleep. He won't sleep in with us because he thinks it's a great game.

It's starting to take a toll on DH and me and we're getting frustrated and knackered. We have no idea why he's doing it. He doesn't talk so there's no way to get the answer out of him.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing? What do you do?

Saw you've bumped this thread but I don't know what I'd do! It sounds like he is fine, not scared but just playing up which is the hardest thing. You've tried the obvious things like a nightlight - do you think he just wants you there, wants your attention? Or is he scared? How strange - I don't know what to suggest, I'm sorry :(

Does he nap? We have just cut out Emily's nap as she was so unsettled at night and not going to bed till nearly 9pm. Then she was calling out for light on/off etc. now it's bed at 7 and she goes to 7:30.

Thanks caz, it's so confusing and I just don't understand the problem! It's either attention seeking or there's some sort of issue I just can't seem to discover.

Thanks scooby, no he doesn't nap anymore. I realised that if he did nap it made nighttimes even worse and then he'd refuse to go to sleep until all hours, so he's dropped it completely now.

Oh he is cutting his back molars at the moment, I wonder if that's got anything to do with it? I suppose if his teeth are hurting there's nothing to distract him from it at night rather than busy day times.

Maybe I could try calpol tonight if it's a bad one, which it probably will be :coffee:

It sounds like it's probably the teeth causing it. I would try calpol before bed and see if it helps.

Hey Vanessa! Sorry to hear you're dealing with sleep issues. :( I was wondering, do you think he's doing it for the attention? I only ask, because you say he just starts laughing and playing when you go to him. I know Alia does things like that because she knows I'll react, like making herself throw up, or screaming as loud as she can.

Just a thought. It could definitely be the molars, though. I hope you and DH start getting some sleep soon! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->