Nipple Blanching

craftymama

Mama of 3!
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I had my 3rd baby nearly 2 weeks ago. My first two kids, breastfeeding never went well. I struggled a lot and ended up giving it up. This time it's going great. Gabriel has taken right to it and I feel a lot more comfortable with it. I pump as well, as I return to work this Friday and need something to leave in the evenings with Daddy, and already have 126 oz in the freezer on top of what Gabriel eats at each feeding.

However, the last few days I've noticed my right nipple tip turns white after I pull it out of his mouth, and then it stings a bit for a while. The stinging goes away and isn't unbearable, just annoying. At the hospital, the nurse told me my latch looked great. It's felt fine. So I don't really understand what's happening? During nursing it doesn't hurt at all aside from the initial latch when he's gotten frustrated with me for taking longer than he'd like to get the latch or position right(He's very much all about the right position, including the way I am sitting. If I lean back from a 90 degree position even in the slightest he won't latch. Sometimes-especially on the right side- it takes several tries before he has it in his mouth correctly and he hates it when I keep breaking the latch to fix it.) But I do notice on that side the nipple is a different shape than the side he seems most comfortable with, and doesn't stick out quite as much until he has been nursing for a bit. I can deal with the stinging sensation, just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if you know if this will do "damage" to my nipple or if it will affect my supply? I really "feel" like I have my latch right, and can't figure out why else it's happening.

I have the blanching too. Will be watching for responses...

If your nipple is just blanching but is still a good shape (so not flattened and square or rectangle looking), and your latch feels good otherwise, then you probably have a slight vasospasm.

Try and keep the room you are BFing in warm when you are feeding. Keep taking your vitamins, because B-vitamins can help. I can't remember what else I had to do with DS1. Maybe other ladies who have experienced it more recently can offer more advice.

I used to get vasospasm inthe first 6 weeks or so, it was very very painful and I empathise! I used to get it mostly between feeds when I got cold going outside or about to get in the shower etc. but I did get it after feeding usually if the latch was a little off. Keeping your nipples warm will help, extra padding in your bra etc., but for me it did just go in the end, I guess as my hormones balanced out a bit. I asked my doc who said to just give it a bit more time to adjust and that did seem to do the trick but I do feel your pain!

Wow yes everytime I get cold I get the stinging sensation... its started to get more painful each day. Its not very comfortable that's for sure, thanks for the tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->