No 12 weeks scan?

kaylacrouch93

Mommy of 3 little monkeys
Reaction score
Im in the US and i was just informed that i will not have a 12 week scan to check for downs or other possible problems. and its kinda annoying me :/ I want to have that scan but my dr said i wont have another till 20 weeks( gender U/S) has anyone else went through this?? what did you do?

From what I have read it is offered to all pregnant women in the states... don't know how true that is but I'm having one done Friday!

Well maybe it has to do with the fact i didnt have any problems with my 1st pregnancy

I don't get one either. My 12 week appointment is Wednesday and they are just using a doppler to hear the heartbeat. Kind of silly if you ask me. :shrug:

They aint even gonna look for a HB with a doppler till 20 weeks.. ugh so frustrating

?! Excuse my ignorance, but if you are paying for your healthcare surely you have the right to request the tests and scans you want? Obviously not if you're requesting weekly scans, but if you want an NT scan to rule out certain conditions?

Im on Medicaid (free Healthcare) so i dont know.. i have a appt in 2 weeks so i will ask then if i can get the scan to be on the safe side. I will love my baby either way but just wanna know what going on if anything is going on

The 12 week scan isn't free like all the others, you have to pay for it. Did u tell him u can't pay?

It's optional. If you say no to testing they won't do it unless you have other concerns.

I denied any of that testing but she is still giving me a dating scan.

Push for it otherwise you may not get it. I only JUST had this explained to me as with my first 2 I didn't have a scan. Only when I bled did they give me one.

Cuz of this my sister went to the ER complaining of (faux) cramps. Just to make sure baby was ok.

You may not have been offered it because of your age (young).

I'm pretty sure you have the option of the nt scan in the us. I worked really closely with Medicaid in the past and was also pretty sure they covered it? I'd definitely give them a call.

Although when I talked to my OB she did directly ask me if I'd be waning to terminate and I said absolutely not. She said "Oh then you can just have the regular blood tests later then if you're okay with that". I said I was 100% okay with that and just opted out of the 12 week scan.

I really do think it's up to you though.

I do want it just in case something is wrong but i really wanna see my baby again as i have been having cramping problems :( i think i might have a cyst that has popped but no bleeding

I had private insurance, and they would only pay for it if I was considered high risk (I wasn't). I did have a threatened miscarriage (basically had some bleeding for no discovered reason) during the first trimester, and they covered my scans at 7, 9, and 12 weeks since my OB considered them medically necessary. Have you spoken to your doctor about the cramps or possible cyst?

I was not offered a 12 week scan either. I had one at 6 weeks due to spotting issues and was told my "level 2" ultrasound would be at 18 weeks and not 20 because of my age.

Medicaid doesn't want to pay for anything extra so if its not deemed "medically necessary" they don't want to pay for it.

Im on Medicaid (free Healthcare) so i dont know.. i have a appt in 2 weeks so i will ask then if i can get the scan to be on the safe side. I will love my baby either way but just wanna know what going on if anything is going on

I had my 12 weeks / first trimester screening today and I'm on Medicaid till the new year and it was covered. It was optional but it was covered. I have never bothered doing it in the past but figured if it's an option I should do it for being prepared, nothing else.

Im in the US and i was just informed that i will not have a 12 week scan to check for downs or other possible problems. and its kinda annoying me :/ I want to have that scan but my dr said i wont have another till 20 weeks( gender U/S) has anyone else went through this?? what did you do?

I'm in the states also (Oklahoma), and I was told by my regular OB that I wouldn't have one at his office until my gender scan at 18 weeks. I am also high risk, though, so I see an MFM as well, so thankfully I will be having my 12 week scan anyways.

I am also in the states and only got a 12week scan (called dating scan) and won't get my next until 20weeks. I have a 16w dr apt but only get measured and possibly Doppler :(

I had an 8 week dating scan and was not offered the Nt or a 12 week. It seems to be common in the US.

This is the first I have ever heard of a 12 week scan being optional!

Yup, my OB is also the same...ultrasound will be at 18-20 weeks and my appointment this week is to check for a heartbeat via doppler. I don't want to pay for the extra, and even though I've had two miscarriages and no live births yet, I worry a lot. But...my mom couldn't afford ultrasounds on either of us through both of her pregnancies and all turned out well and good! With me she had cramping and bleeding at 12 weeks...but I guess I lived :D

Completely understand your concern though! Hopefully these weeks will fly by. Surely they can use a doppler as that probably doesn't cost anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->