No HB on Doppler

LaurenaC

Reaction score
So it arrived this morning and I have tried for ages trying to find a HB on the Doppler and there is nothing.

I'm now sat here in tears thinking something is wrong. I'm 11 weeks 3 days. I have read so much about ladies hearing it from even before my weeks so I'm fearing everything now.

I am I right to be concerned, I feel like this has done me no good at all, it was supposed to help with my anxiety. X

Some ladies have luck, I think there's a lot of factors involved. My last pregnancy my midwife wouldn't even try until 18 weeks! Try not to worry baby is probably neatly tucked away.

Which Doppler have you got?

Here some tips that help me find my baby's heartbeat with my sonoline B 3MHZ

Lie down really flat on bed or sofa, so that your hip bones stick out a bit.

Use lots of gel on your skin. Turn volume up to full.

Move wand in little circles slowly from left to right, put on a bit of pressure.

It's about an inch above your hair line that you wanna try it, maybe right on your hair line.

Good luck!! And update us!

Don't worry if you can't find it, as pp said, sometimes baby is tucked away and it's not always easy to find. The problem is if you can't find it you freak out, which is why sometimes it's best not to get one, or get one once you know you can definitely find it. Try not to panick, maybe give it a few more weeks before trying again xxx

with my DS, even the doc couldn't find his heartbeat at 11wks. i had to have an ultrasound and there he was swimming around, heart a beatin away. it really could just be too early or like the others said, little one is just snuggled in away from the surface.

So it arrived this morning and I have tried for ages trying to find a HB on the Doppler and there is nothing.

I'm now sat here in tears thinking something is wrong. I'm 11 weeks 3 days. I have read so much about ladies hearing it from even before my weeks so I'm fearing everything now.

I am I right to be concerned, I feel like this has done me no good at all, it was supposed to help with my anxiety. X

My doctor couldn't find heartbeat either at 11 weeks....he had to bring the ultrasound machine and baby was fine.

Have you tried pressing down a bit with the doppler and tilting the probe in different directions?
That might help if you try again

I used mine this morning, heard HB after some poking around then tried again this afternoon to show the besty and couldn't find it, will try again tomorrow :) I'm 9 weeks so not too worried

I tried for ages and moved it all over, pressed it down and low but nothing at all. I can't believe how anxious this has made me. I feel hopeless. I am going out in half an hour for my husbands Xmas do and feel like cancelling. Should I call the midwife or am I just completely paranoid? Xx

Should I call the midwife or am I just completely paranoid? Xx

Yes to both, and.I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Everything is almost certainly fine, and you just can't find hb due to position of the baby and/or placenta. However, YOU are very worried. Give your care team a call, explain what happened, and get their input. Maybe they'll want to do a scan, or maybe they will just have some reassuring words for you.

I dont think so as they dont recommend using a doppler till much later.

I take it your twelve week scan isnt far off?

Honestly, its most likely there you just cant hear it

Well you guys know I have the worst midwife in the world from my post a week or so ago when I said how awful she was basically convincing me the pregnancy was doomed. Anyway, just tried to call her and surprise surprise her phone was switched off. Great help she is!

Do you know.if you might have a retroverted uterus? In about 10% of women (myself included) the uterus is tipped backwards in the perlvis instead of forwards, and it makes it much harder to hear things on Doppler.

I've never been told I have so I don't know. This is just horrible, I wish I had never bought the damn thing!

I agree with all of bumblebee's recommendations. What kind of gel are you using?

Also, a lot of it depends on the Doppler. The one I used with DD, I picked her up clear as day at 8w 4d and got her every single time from then on. My new Doppler I barely get anything, and I have had many ultrasounds and know baby is in there and okay. It takes me a long time to find anything that even resembles baby, and when I do I get 4-5 heart beats and then he/she moves and I can't find him/her again for another 30 minutes.

It could also be that your placenta is right in the front, or that you have things rumbling around in your intestines (sorry TMI) that might be masking the signal from baby?

Are you UK based?

I just think be realistic if you call your midwife and what they'll tell you. My midwife is amazing but I know if I called her she wouldn't send me for a scan due to how early you are (my midwife won't even try and hear the heartbeat until my appointment after my 12 week scan because of how hard it can be to find it) so don't panic if she says no. I had a second tri loss and they won't send me for a 16 week scan even with my anxiety - sometimes we so have to think they know best.

I was looking at the time of your post being almost 7pm, midwives won't have their phone on then (again going by UK) as its out of office which is when you'd call the EPU xxx

Please don't worry too much. Xxx

The only thing that I am holding onto is that I had a scan last Saturday and all was fine. I was 10 weeks 4 days then. Surely things can't go that wrong in a few days. I really hope you're all right and it's just the baby's position ��

Thanks for your comments ladies. I wish I had never bought it and haven't slept properly all night for worry, thinking my baby is no longer alive. I called my local maternity unit this morning who told me to throw it away and that a midwife would struggle to find a heartbeat at 11 weeks. It still hasn't fully put my mind at rest and now will spend the next 5 days waiting for my 12 week scan on complete knife edge. I feel like smashing it up!!

My doctor couldn't find baby's heartbeat on the Doppler at 12 weeks; he did a scan and we heard it.

This is the exact reason my ob and and her ultrasound lady recommend against personal dopplers. It's not actually recommended to listen to your baby every day as it's loud and stressful to them. If you absolutely must, you should be brief.

In your particular case, not being able to find it is causing too much stress. Please breathe and relax hunny. The most likely scenario is that the baby is tucked away or you are not looking in the right place. If you have had a scan recently, take comfort in that. It's rare for anything to happen to your baby the further along that you get.

Even at my dr's office where they offer every test and procedure under the sun, they do not use a doppler until your 12 week appointment. I imagine that your doppler will be a lot more comforting when you are a bit further along.

Right now, your baby is so very tiny. It's not unusual to have difficulty especially if this is your first baby and your first time using a doppler. I hope that you can kick back and keep calm. Pregnancy is a long, scary journey so we just have to do our best!

I'm so sorry u are having such a hard time finding the hb :( I personally find it in a few seconds as of 8.4 weeks in all 3 of my pregnancies so I do t get how a midwife can't... However, I wouldn't panic at all. I tried once on my friend who was 12 weeks and is a heavier girl and I couldn't get the hb no matter how much I tried. It depends on how you are built as well. Maybe u aren't looking in the right place either. You need to move wand super slowly and angle it sometimes too. I find baby oil works so much better than gel... I have a retroverted uterus and an anterior placenta and it made no difference in finding the hb however maybe the type of Doppler I'm using works better earlier on? Either way don't worry! Too many factors can influence you finding the hb that it's just not necessary to stress about it. However once you do get the hang of it and know where to look and how to find the hb I'm sure you will find the Doppler to be a total lifesaver. Just give it some time. Put it away for now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->