No Heartbeat on Doppler? *update*

Stormynights

DD + Peanut
Reaction score
I had my first appointment today. The midwife couldn't find baby's heartbeat on the Doppler so we are booked for an ultrasound tomorrow afternoon... I'm worried to death.

She really really tried, was pushing all around, tried both sides... all we heard was my own pulse... I'm 10 weeks 4 days today... has anyone had this happen and it turn out okay?

Yes, but thankfully they did the ultrasound right then and there! Making you wait is torture!!

Im almost 10 weeks and still can't get a heartbeat on the doppler. If the baby has his/her back to you then you won't be able to hear it so I have been told. Or it could just be hiding really well. I know my doctor couldn't find my sons HB and had to do an ultrasound at about 12 weeks so I know how frightening it can be.

With my first, at 10 weeks, my midwife told me that it was still 50/50 whether you could actually find a heartbeat with a doppler at that gestation. It's because baby is so tiny and they have so much room to move around, if they're hiding behind your pubic bone you're unlikely to hear the heartbeat.

They don't even try that here until about 16 weeks and it's not unusual for them to be missed even at 12 weeks. Don't panic!

Do you have a little extra padding around the middle? I know that it can make it harder to hear. Also most drs wont even try til after first tri because it can be really difficult to find and worrisome if they dont find it.

Do you have a little extra padding around the middle? I know that it can make it harder to hear. Also most drs wont even try til after first tri because it can be really difficult to find and worrisome if they dont find it.

Yes, I'm plus sized. She was doing the Doppler down low though under my pudgy belly. I'm hoping everything is okay in there... I'll find out soon... I've just had a bad feeling this whole pregnancy... so that doesn't help things at all. :(

It's so, so early. I really wouldn't worry about it. With my first (5 years ago now), they wouldn't try before 16 weeks. When I made my 16 week appt this time, the midwife let me know that they don't even try then anymore and wait until the next appt, which for me, I think is like, 24 weeks? Because there are so many times they can't find it and everyone panics, when all was actually fine and there was no need to panic at all. You're still very early on, so I wouldn't worry and try to stay positive.

Good luck with scan. I'm sure everything will be fine! Xxx

Good luck today! I am sure everything will be fine but sending you positive vibes.

My midwife couldn't find baby's heartbeat on me at 16 weeks and I'm very slim. She's 5 now!

Well... we got to see little baby on the ultrasound. I'm measuring 1-2 days behind, but I'm pretty sure I usually ovulate on CD15... The heartbeat was 185 bpm. Which seems super fast to me.

Everything appeared normal, except I guess I have a cyst on my right ovary. She said it's normal... it concerns me because my mother had an ovarian cyst during her pregnancy that turned out to be cancerous. But I'm pretty sure mine will resolve itself, it's just a very slight worry.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice! :hugs:

Im so glad!!! Baby's HB is usually pretty fast in the beginning so I think thats a pretty good number.

That all sounds great to me. Cysts are really normal in early pregnancy, sort of a leftover from when you ovulated. I think they can be painful, but it's rare for them to be anything more serious than that, even if your mum's turned out to be cancerous.

Your dates and HB sound good. Mine was 140 at 7 weeks and it increases each week from there, so 185 sounds right for 10 weeks. I measured 4 days ahead at my scan with my daughter, even though I absolutely knew when I ovulated. Sometimes it just happens. Glad to hear all sounds well for you.

Congrats!!!!! They found a huge cyst on my ovary 7cmx7cm when I went for my early scan but at my 20 week scan it had already dissolved by itself.

Was the cyst black on the screen? Black is good which means it's just fluid and should dissolve by itself.

I'm not sure which was the cyst and which was my ovary... one thing was black and larger than something white. She was measuring the black part. I have pictures of what she took if that would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->