No insurance - medicaid?

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
So I applied for Medicaid as soon as I found out I was preggers. My job doesn't offer any insurance/benefits and my hubby doesn't get any at his job until he goes to full time which may not be for a long while as he just started.

I was sent insurance cards so I went ahead and had dr appts (costing upwards of $1500+ with blood tests and u/s). Then this weekend, a month after I got my cards, I was sent a letter saying I was denied due to excess income! So now I don't have any insurance and not sure what to do! I am going to call them when they open on Tuesday and see if there is something I can get, I simply cannot afford to pay everything on my own!

I'm worried, I had a mmc this Feb so I need a bit more monitoring this go round. And I'm still paying off my son's medical bills and the bills from the miscarriage. So sick of worrying about money, I feel like I might as well not go to any dr appts and just deliver my child in the bath tub at home :cry:

Anyone deal with medicaid? I read something about a group 2 for pregnant women, for ppl that make a bit too much money to qualify for normal medicaid. Because I can't get insurance on my own - it wouldn't be worth it, I'd pay more money than just paying out of pocket just about.

in colorado there is something called chp+. Basically its the same as medicaid exept you may have small co pays. It is for people who make to much for medicaid but dont get any benifits from jobs. I was on this with my daughter and acually it was just like medicaid. Just call them and ask what is going on your got your cards and such and if you make to much then is there another program that you can get into. You really need to be persistant with medicaid though as they tend to take there sweet time unless you really push it xx good luck!

In pennsylvania they have regular MA (medical Assistance aka medicaid) as well as program specificially for expectant women (it's called Healthy Beginings there. Its a different qualifying process than MA). Anyways, getting the actual MA is very tough bc the income limits are sooooooo so low (you practically have to be homeless or have a disability to get it). But the Healthy Beginings program allowes for a higher income level. (think its like 200% of the poverty guidelines or something like that). So basically this allows for many women to get covered while they are pregnant and then up to 6 weeks PP, even if they dont qualify for MA. There is still an income limit. So you would have to make the cutoff for that but it is much much higher than what MA allows. Im pretty sure there is a program similar to this in every state so be sure to specifically ask about that. Basically it covers all of your prenatal care, your babys birth and medical needs, and 6 weeks pp for you. After that you go off of it. (usually the baby can remain on it but that will depend on your financial status, etc or they can go to a CHIP program)

In New Hampshire there is MA (simiar to PA and super hard to get) but for pregnant women and un/under insured children (under age 18) there is a program called CHIP. Pregnant women can also recieve CHIP if their income allowes (basically the same income guidelines as PAs Healthy Beginings program). So the income allowence is higher than MA but there is still a cut off.

So def inquire specifically about any programs for prenatal care. I have a degree in human services and i can honestly say that a lot of ppl dont get anywhere within the system just bc they arn't asking the right questions. Case managers *should* help but getting lost in the system is easy. So on top of asking again about MA i would specifically ask for any programs for pregnant women. Dont assume that they (MA case workers) are thinking outside of the box. Sometimes they do and will suggest such programs and sometimes they dont. It's all about asking the right questions (and of course financially qualifing but without the right questions its easy to get lost in translation.

Good luck!

oh hun i feel your pain! I also applied for medicaid when i first found out i was pregnant and got denied for making too much. tried chip and also got denied. After getting some ridiculous insurance that barely covered anything (just to find out my hospital didn't except it) i applied through my hospital for financial assistance. they cover 80% of everything. I do also go to all of my appointments at the hospital though too, I don't think if I went somewhere else that it would be covered besides delivery. maybe check into your local hospital and see if they have anything similar? good luck i know how frustrating it is!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->