no way to get to the hospital

Mummy_to_be87

Reaction score
i dont drive, have no friends/relatives who can take me to the hospital...what on earth do i do if i need to go in for a check up or labour? hospital is 40 minutes from here x

You don't know a single person who could drive? Otherwise seems like taxi or ambulance are your options.

I would say pack a back now have everything by the front door and make sure you sleep with your phone. This was as soon as you have the slightest start of labor call so they can get there before you are so far dilated. Good Luck

Yeah I think those are the only options you'll have if there is literally no one :/ I don't know how all insurances work on covering ambulances but if yours does not definitely check a taxi first will probably be hundreds cheaper.

not one person, my brother and fiancee are going on holiday, my mum had to get rid of her car due to financial circumstances, my dad doesnt drive, my exs mum is out of town for 3 weeks and i dont know many friends around this new area. the taxis are looking about 50 pounds plus cleaning fees which i cant afford but the ambulance might not take me as its not an emergency :shrug:

It is considered an emergency if you're alone and go into labor, at least in the US you can call an ambulance for that.

Sorry if I'm being nosy but why is your fiance taking a vacation now? You're due tomorrow mama! :(

You'll have to try and save for the taxi. Maybe ask relatives to give 5 pounds each? Borrow from friends or post to a site, we have Craigslist, trading some service you can offer for a ride to the hospital. Does your doctor know? Ask for the names of charities who can give you money.

Sorry if I'm being nosy but why is your fiance taking a vacation now? You're due tomorrow mama! :(

I read it as the brother and his fiancee that were going on hols? Could be wrong tho!
Hope i'm not cos it seems a bad time for op's fiance to go away!

I know my hospital won't send an ambulance unless its an emergency. Neither me nor my oh drive, most my friends that drive live half hour away, and my mums 45 minutes away from me, I'm then a half hour from the hospital. I can't see my labour being so quick I can't get there. I think you'll really have to find the cash for a taxi to be honest. Ring round a few today, check which ones will take women in labour, get some maternity bed pads, a towel and some bin bags to sit on. Who's looking after your daughter when you go in? Could they not take you? I assume they have to get to yours somehow? If I have appointments, I get the bus, and I do have friends that have got the bus in early stages of labour! x

If your in the UK they wont send an ambulance unless you are pretty much ready to push and need someone there to deliver baby.

My cousin had to get a taxi because she had no one available at the time and expected an ambulance to take her and they refused.

Yep taxi will be your best bet. Ambulance are not a taxi service and should be for life and death emergencies only. How did you get to hospital for your scans ect?

Get a taxi, that is what we will do. Cleaning fees, wtf?! Don't tell them you are in labour & take a towel with you. Call around companies for the best deal then ask if they will reduce the price for you.

A ambulance won't take you and tbh unless your pushing ambulance will be nedee elsewhere.

I would say taxi is your only option. Call around and get prices now

When I worked on labour ward they always said tell them to phone an ambulance, that's if they had a problem and needed to come or thought they were in labour. Personally I'd ring a taxi!

thanks ladies, i will try and ring around and see what taxis will be available to drive with a labouring woman :) my brother and his woman are going on vacation, my mum is minding my dd who only lives 5 minutes from me but doesnt drive and my appointments are at my health centre which i get a bus to but for birth the hospital is in a different area :hugs: im sure i will manage somehow :flower:

Can you hire a car cheap for a week for your mum to drive?

Looks like taxi best bet. I'm in the same situation as you OP, one of my reasons for a homebirth. I was told no taxi unless absolute emergency, but with my Homebirth I'm entitled to an ambulance if I need to be transferred.

I would totally get my neighbor to take me. Everyone panics and tries to help a pregnant woman in labor :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->