Nontraditional names

Samo

Reaction score
ive been thinking long and hard on names lately, especially since i will be finding out the sex soon :cloud9:. DH has not been trying at all because he wants to know the sex first, but we have chatted a little bit.

We seem to be more attracted to the nontraditional names but really don't know how family would react to it!! Can't seem to imagine Grandma being a fan of the name Vari etc! I think of traditional ("normal") names like Michael (using it as example, it's DH's name!) but then I am not attached to those names i think of! DH is feeling the same, he likes the name Roman and such...

Do you guys take into consideration what family and friends think of your name choices?? Should we "ask" their opinions on names once we're dead set on the one(s) we like? What if they aren't fans?

my brother name is Romain i always love it :)!

I say no! We've picked two very non-traditional names and have had various responses ranging from quietly dubious to loving them. But we don't care either way!

I don't know.
I've seen quite a few threads in which mums were feeling quite upset by reactions to their name choices. I wonder if it isn't better to just announce it?
If you ask, then they feel that they have a say, and it could open up a whole can of worms...

I would take their opinion on board but i wouldnt let it influence my decision if i was dead set on my names

I have suggested a few names to the family - and I have had negative feedback on almost all of them lol... so we are now just choosing one ourselves and we are going to tell the family that our baby will be called Frank, then when we tell them the real name just before he is born, they will be relieved no matter what it is :rofl:

(no offense to those who want to call their baby Frank :( )

We also thought about having a very silly campaign of really nutty names, so that by the time we announce the actual name, family will all be relieved that baby is not, in fact, really called Gollum, or Hot Dog, or whatever.
It's a strategy, anyway and could be fun.:)

Personally I dont discuss our choices with family, think there is always gonna be someone who doesnt like the name you choose. At the end of the day your baby your choice.

Nope! No opinions were asked!! Just thought it too personal a decision - family like to tell you how to raise your child anyway (which also I don't necessarily pay attention too!)

Can't seem to imagine Grandma being a fan of the name Vari etc!

"vari" is traditional in Scotland, but it is spelt Mhairi. It is a Gaelic name and pronounced Va-ree. So you could please the relatives and have a name you like!

As for my opinion, I feel that names should be timeless. Taking a celebrity name, Apple or Sunday may sound cute when a child is young but how will she feel when she's in her twenties? Or Eighties? Fashionable names date.

You can always ask opinions but if you like the name then don't let anyone influence your choice.

I know my parents really hated the name Seth and I nearly changed it but Im so pleased I didnt! Its not unusual but there isnt a lot of them around I dont think.

xxx

We didn't tell family or friends the names we picked out. We had a list of boy and girl names, and once our baby was born (he was a surprise) we then picked the name we felt suited him. We then announced it to the family. I love the name Brennan, I felt it was different without being too different.

We're not going for any traditional names at all. No one is going to find out the name until the baby is here because we just can't be bothered to deal with other people's opinions on it. We made it, we're naming it!

You should pick the name that feels right to you both and what others think shouldn't matter :)

Pick names that you and your OH fall in love with and dont let other put you off !!

People will find negative things to say about any name you choose if you're just looking for a love it/hate it answer.
I'd say if you pick a name that is very unusual get an opinion on it from one or two people you trust to give honest feedback - and keep a secret. Not the "ew! that name is horrible" kind of feedback - but things like how easily people (and your child)will be able to pronounce/spell the name, teasing factor, whether it suits a professional as well as a little kid, potential nicknames you may not want.

We're going with something a bit rare and if no one likes it- tough too bad. I love my family but I won't take on their feelings. Im sure the name will grow on them.

People keep asking if we have a name yet and we have a had a short list of 3 for a while. Haven't told close family as they will have to love whatever we choose, but also haven't told just anyone who asks! I'm kind of glad we haven't either cause Maya was Imogen for a good 6 weeks there and at the last minute has gone back to Maya!!!

People keep asking if we have a name yet and we have a had a short list of 3 for a while. Haven't told close family as they will have to love whatever we choose, but also haven't told just anyone who asks! I'm kind of glad we haven't either cause Maya was Imogen for a good 6 weeks there and at the last minute has gone back to Maya!!!

Maya is beautiful - but then I'm biased, my granny is called Maya! (Meaning mother's love in my mother tongue)

Unfortunately i couldnt care less what our families thought of our name choice! Its our baby so therefore our decision! aslong as me and hubby are happy with the name choice stuff the rest of them!
Oh by the way, it doesnt sound like it but we really do get on with our families very well! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->