Nontraditional names

We are not telling family, and friends until baby is born, because with my youngest we decided to call him Robin, and a few people we told beforehand said they didn't like it (which really pissed me off)
This time round we like Stanley, or Sam

People keep asking if we have a name yet and we have a had a short list of 3 for a while. Haven't told close family as they will have to love whatever we choose, but also haven't told just anyone who asks! I'm kind of glad we haven't either cause Maya was Imogen for a good 6 weeks there and at the last minute has gone back to Maya!!!

Maya is beautiful - but then I'm biased, my granny is called Maya! (Meaning mother's love in my mother tongue)

It is lovely. How is it pronounced?

We made it, we're naming it!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I like that idea! :rofl:
I think that whatever name you choose SOMEONE in the family isnt going to like it! :roll: So go for it and if you really like "Apple-seed"....then who cares what anyone else thinks! (Im not serious with the name Apple-seed BTW!)
Its your baby.......not Great Aunty Mildred's! :rofl:

I had Penelope picked for a girl. I wish I hadn't told anyone now because I got so much of the "ew that name is horrible" feedback that I'm completely turned from it now.

I keep throwing names out there, nobody is going to know what I've truly decided until after she's born and its on the birth certificate. Heck, I probably won't know until I actually write it on the birth certificate.

Don't tell people your names. Choose what you like and stick to it, because people are ignorant. Its not their child, its yours. But when you keep getting negative feedback you start to feel like you're ruining your child for life. People are too nosey and opinionated.

In Greece we name our children after the grandparents. The first one after OH's father/mother and the second one after mammy's part. So...whoever tries another odd name...is not well taken by granpa e granma...Unfortunately we don't use strange names...I would like to name my baby in a different way...but..

In Greece we name our children after the grandparents. The first one after OH's father/mother and the second one after mammy's part. So...whoever tries another odd name...is not well taken by granpa e granma...Unfortunately we don't use strange names...I would like to name my baby in a different way...but..

lol It's funny the naming after relatives thing, you'd think everyone would just end up with the same name!

Our families gave very negative feedback about Rocklyn when we first mentioned it. My mum still doesn't like it but loves Rocco whereas DH's mum didn't like it when she first heard it but now calls him Rocklyn. My advice would be not to tell family the name and just announce it when baby is born. I am so pleased that i did not listen to all the negative comments. It was a name that both DH and i loved.

I still like Orson and both sets of parents have howled at it. Real shame....maybe we should go ahead?

oh gosh! I really don't want people's feedback on our choice of names, so I don't think we'll mention names to people until we have our baby in our arms and the name has already been set in stone!! :rofl:

But, as our kids will have one Italian name and one Japanese name, we will have to take into consideration the fact that the names will have to sound ok in English-speaking countries, as we live in the UK now and who knows where we'll live in the future... (Our kids will be 3/4 Italian, 1/4 Japanese)

The only feedback I'd like is suggestions from my parents on how to write the Japanese names I will give my kids. Because a Japanese name, even when pronounced the same way, can have a different meaning depending on how it's written.

Announce it when baby's born...people rarely say "eeeew I don't like that" once baby has been born and named :winkwink:

Also bear in mind even if you love the name eg...William, it will never stay William as people always shorten it whether you like it or not:hissy:

My kids are Lauren, Abi and Toby (I lost 2 as well, their names are Rachael and Thomas).

The names we've thought of for this baby are Adele for a girl and Sam for a boy but shhhhhhhh....don't tell:nope:

oh gosh! I really don't want people's feedback on our choice of names, so I don't think we'll mention names to people until we have our baby in our arms and the name has already been set in stone!! :rofl:

But, as our kids will have one Italian name and one Japanese name, we will have to take into consideration the fact that the names will have to sound ok in English-speaking countries, as we live in the UK now and who knows where we'll live in the future... (Our kids will be 3/4 Italian, 1/4 Japanese)

The only feedback I'd like is suggestions from my parents on how to write the Japanese names I will give my kids. Because a Japanese name, even when pronounced the same way, can have a different meaning depending on how it's written.

hey cool :) all my children will have japanese names as well (as their middle name, like me). We should chat sometime! I'd love to know which ones you are choosing! And ab out japanese names having different meaning depending on the way they are written...so true! i am named after my aunt Misao but our spelling is different so family can tell us apart when our names our written down.

oh that is so cool! we really should chat :happydance:

I'll give you some Greek names if you want !!
Athena = Athens the godess of wisdom
Anthi = flower
Ariadne = From the legend of Minotaurus in the labyrinth
Artemis= The godess of hunting
Achilles (for boys)
Vaia
Veroniki
Despina = virgin Mary
Irene
Hermione
Evangelie
Euthalia (Thalia)
Zenovia
Zoi = life
Helias
Julitta
Isidor
Kalliope
Klio
Lukia= Lucy
Magdalene
Markella
Natalia
Xenie
Orestis
Sergio
Sofia
Stefie
Tatiana
Fivie
Chrissy

Blimey....you've been busy:thumbup:

LittleBee, so it seems like you want a baby girl! most of them are girl names :winkwink:

LittleBee,
How common is the name Apollo in Greece?
My husband and I really like that for a boy (also love the meaning and origin), but are not sure if it sounds right with his last name or if it is a bit ostentatious.
I've heard it is fairly common in Greece - is that true?

I really like Ariadne, had thought I'd have it as my girls name for years (might still if I have 2 girls eventually). Think it nice shorted to 'Ari' (know what I mean Ari? comes to mind though..).

Love the story too, she saved Theseus from the Minators maze by giving him the ball of thread then on the way home he left her on Naxos - she married the god of wine instead and Theseus caused his father to commit suicide by forgetting to change the colour of the sails on his boat so think Ariadne got the best deal there - god of wine / stupid man? hmmm....

x

Yeap...I think i want a girl..lol
Ariadne is beautiful but hard for you to spell...Ari is good. Apollo is not common..the whole name is Apollonas we don't use Apollo except for the planet lol lol!! It's so amazing the greek mythology and there are plenty of names to choose@@

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->