Not been offered an early scan!

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I had a threntened miscarraige 3 weeks ago and spoke to the doctor on the phone who said that if i was still pregnant in 2 weeks then he would arrange a early scan. he is away and spoke to another doctor today, had some small amount of bleed after sex the other night and I have fallen down the stairs but she did offer a scan.

I went on to say that my husband and me both have twins in our families plus my mothers side of the family all have fertility issues and/or multiple miscarriages!

she said that the midwife would handle everything and to see her at 9 or 10 weeks! and said she would write to a consultant about my mother history (lupus) and see if they would want to run more tests!

i havent had bloods check or anything, what a wate or time.

so basically no one bothers with you or wants to see you until you are 10 weeks or more? or that right? almost the whole of your 1st trimester your left to yourself?

is that the same for everyone? anyone live in angus/aberdeenshire and had different?

hi i'm in wales but i've found they're not interested either, i had a previous m/c which they knew all about and some family health problems but still said they won't see me until 8/9 weeks at least, even then they're not keen. can you push to be seen earlier though, as it sounds like they ought to keep a closer eye on you?
they can be so insensitive about it all as well!

hi i'm in wales but i've found they're not interested either, i had a previous m/c which they knew all about and some family health problems but still said they won't see me until 8/9 weeks at least, even then they're not keen. can you push to be seen earlier though, as it sounds like they ought to keep a closer eye on you?

yeah isnt it rubbish the care we get, and you have actually had a miscarriage and not been offered one? how crazy is that?

If i could just get an early scan and know everthing is ok then it would be such a relief! My husband ordered me a doppler, which i realise is way too early to use yet but at least may be able to give some peace of mind in the future.

Its like no one can be bothered until your safely in your second trimester! :S ... the midwives were supposed to call me with an appointment today but havent ... grrr its all so annoying.

anyway ... rant over ... good luck with your pregnancy, your almost there, 4 more weeks and you will be past 12 weeks :D yipee!

yeah isnt it rubbish the care we get, and you have actually had a miscarriage and not been offered one? how crazy is that?

If i could just get an early scan and know everthing is ok then it would be such a relief! My husband ordered me a doppler, which i realise is way too early to use yet but at least may be able to give some peace of mind in the future.

Its like no one can be bothered until your safely in your second trimester! :S ... the midwives were supposed to call me with an appointment today but havent ... grrr its all so annoying.

anyway ... rant over ... good luck with your pregnancy, your almost there, 4 more weeks and you will be past 12 weeks :D yipee!

it seems like on paper for them it can be a 'waste of resources' to see everyone too early given the rate of m'c's in 1st tri, but it does seem unfair. :grr: to your midwife, hope they ring you back!
the 12ww is soooo much worse than the 2ww!
hope the next 6 weeks flies by for you and you get some help!
i had a private scan yesterday (couldn't wait) which was a massive help and relief. i did get a doppler cheap off ebay but when i got it it says its recommended for 20 weeks onwards! :dohh: apparently the hibebe ones can pick up a hb early but they're pretty pricey - think you can hire them though?

I looked at paying private but there is no where around here, no way I could convince hubby to go all the way to Glasgow or Edinburgh for that lol! (2.5 hours away) ... the doppler i got was about £90, and was the 3Hrz which says can work as early as 7 weeks. however i have a little extra "padding" so guess i wont work that early on me lol!

Hey,

Listen, I don't know how this would work for you...

I know when I saw my GP (who is lovely) I was amazed there was no blood pressure check or ANYTHING, and yes it does seem to be a bit of a 'if you get to 10 weeks then the midwife probably isnt wasting her time seeing you' about it... but anyway...

I had some spotting, I rang NHS direct, and they told me to goto the A&E.
I went to the A&E and they tested my urine, I also had cystitis, and they took bloods.
They booked me to come back in for a very early scan (6w) it was a sunday when I went to A&E, so I had to wait 2 days.

They saw the only thing they could hope to see at 6w, which was a blob in the right place. They didn't take any more blood.

I went back 2 weeks later and we got to see the heartbeat.

It's a scary time.
Previous pregnancy history can make it a lot worse.
But so can hearing how common complications are... so protect yourself from imagining bad things.

When I had spotting, I just told myself... there is only a term for this non-threatening bleeding because it is so common. And if you read through this board, you will see how many people have had it and been ok. I know I know I know, previous complications make it worse, but it's no good tormenting yourself :hug:

The reason these people are so hands off is that there is so little reassurance they can give in the early stages, and a little bit of information (HCG levels etc) can have you pulling your hair out with worry. When I had the 6w scan, I was relieved they could tell me as much as they did, and with the 8w I wasn't certain they'd be able to see the heartbeat, so my lack of scrutinising the detail was actually really comforting.

If you're one of the 'lucky' ones to have morning sickness it will be coming along shortly :)

I think you should ring your local EPU and explain to them about the bleeding and any pain that you've had and they might give you a scan hun, other than that go to A&E and explain exactly the same thing

I have had two miscarriages and an ectopic so I received 2 early scans to make sure everything was ok, so you should get one, especially with family history x

Fingers crossed for you.

Amy xx

This is not good, your GP is fobbing you off.
I also think you should ring your local EPU, or go to A&E who will also arrange a scan.

Good luck, hope it's just a scare & all is well xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->