Not doing " Father Christmas "

i think it all depends on how things were when you grew up x I'm doing all the things my parents did when I was little and that is believing in Santa Claus x For those people out there that were devastated, heartbroken and find it hard to forgive their parents for 'lying' to them I have one question 'when you believed that santa was real, did you have a happy childhood, great Xmas's and enjoy the magic of it all? if yes then how can you be so hurt with your parents for making you incredibly happy??
I remember realizing he wasn't real and tbh not being bothered, i loved Christmas and everything about it especially the time I got to spend with my family x

and as for people not doing Santa because of it being something to do with parents sacrificing their children and drugged up reindeer I very much doubt those that do Santa will be telling our child/ren this is the reason we celebrate it. Tbh i'd never even heard of that.

The human sacrifice aspect of Saturnalia was a small part of its history from what I have read. I believe it referred more to a presentation of the bodies of gladiators who died during a set of games held during Saturnalia, rather than actual sacrifice, but I am sure that there are many historical interpretations. I have never heard that part about people sacrificing their children, however. As Saturnalia was generally a festival that celebrated the returning of light and an almost carnavale-style sense of mischief (slaves would trade places with masters, there was a Lord of Misrule, etc), I find that idea harder to believe. :shrug:

Not to be totally pedantic, but the Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer stuff sounds a bit suspicious as well. I lived in Sweden for a year and studied Saami culture for a thesis and I have never heard of Rudolph being associated with their shamanic rituals. Everything I found online stated that Rudolph was a fictional character made up in the early part of the last century. I know it's Wikipedia, but it gives a quick rundown on the origins of Rudolph:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer

"Addendum: In 18yrs of teaching primary and secondary ed, I can tell you the children who are most screwed up and/or spoiled are usually from faithless families." It might be a matter of prospective. Most still believe children should be seen and not heard. While you see them as misbehaving or whatever, I see them being themselves and I encourage them to speak their mind and express themselves.Sort of like how My aunt thinks it is stupid to let a child to have two choices (as many child development books recommended.. like if they want to wear blue mittens or pink gloves ..either way, they have to wear something and nothing is an option) she thinks children should eat whatever is front of them. I just smile and nod ....and secretly asked my kids if they want hamburger or pizza tonight.

Also, most messed up kids, I know came from people whose use God to abuse their power. Like how they sometimes treat their wives and kids because they pick and choose (and ignore the rest) bible verses that would support abusive ways.

I really don't think we should be discussing messed up kids in the same breath as being religious/having faith or not having it. If a child is messed up because if something their family is doing/has done, then it's pretty likely that they would of caused them up be messed up either way

Right. And I do not mean to sound bad (I mean they feel like a mess because how they treated) I was simply pointing out people with faith are not exempt. That having faith does not create well behaved respectful kids.

I came from family who was abused or harshly punished Their parents were very religious. They got into trouble in school a lot (one would think they are "screwed up").

Sooooo here in the US they say 'Santa'. I keep saying 'Father Christmas' and get looks of 'ahh that's cute, bless your cottons' every time I say it. I'm having to change everything I say dammit! EVERYTHING!

Right. And I do not mean to sound bad (I mean they feel like a mess because how they treated) I was simply pointing out people with faith are not exempt. That having faith does not create well behaved respectful kids.

I came from family who was abused or harshly punished Their parents were very religious. They got into trouble in school a lot (one would think they are "screwed up").

I know I posted directly after you but it wasn't aimed at you in particular, it was about the general conversation.

:flower:

Sooooo here in the US they say 'Santa'. I keep saying 'Father Christmas' and get looks of 'ahh that's cute, bless your cottons' every time I say it. I'm having to change everything I say dammit! EVERYTHING!

:haha: I use both, it use to confuse my children a lot when they were younger

We have been saying Father Christmas this year because last year DS kept saying "Sanna!!!" (Imagine Will Ferrell in Elf) drove me to insanity so it's Father Christmas this year!!

[/QUOTE]

My OH never believed because he said it was impossible for father christmas to come down the chimney because they had a back boiler (his parents weren't clever enough to think of a santa key!!)[/QUOTE]

Haha my friend always used to make me laugh when she told me about visiting 'santa' at a shopping centre when she was little and asked him how we got into her house with no chimney and he said with his magic key and she asked to see it he pulled a key that looked a lot like a car key and said 'honda' on it lol :haha:

We only ever say Father Christmas :)

We only say father christmas too, santa seems too american-y. This thread's very interesting i honestly had noo idea just how much debate could come from the idea of doing father christmas or not! xx

Well I dont (I said before that I use Father Christmas and Santa) however because of Miracle on 34th Street my children also call him that as they think it is his real name and the children just refer to him as Santa/Father Christmas :haha:

I call him the Christmas Goat (gotta love the Finnish language sometimes!)

When I taught in the south of England all the kids said Father Christmas but here in Yorkshire they seem to all say Santa. And my relatives in Northumberland say Santy.

we always say father Christmas, the children I taught said santa to but think that's due to watch a lot of American Christmas tv

I know this is going to be an unpopular post and I swear it isn't meant to offend anyone.

I find it extremely hypocritical that it's believed to be so abhorrent to lie to your child about Santa/let them believe in something that isn't true but so many are happy to push their religion, beliefs and faith onto a child, with just as little 'proof'.

Yes, Santa/Father Christmas is a lie, but let's count how many people are detrimentally affected or receiving therapy because of it and then compare that to those adversely affected by religion.

I hate the consumerism of Christmas, but if allowing my children to believe in Santa is a lie, well then I guess I'm a great big liar and proudly so.
They regularly 'hear' jingles, or come up with wild stories as to how he gets into our apartment, am I going to correct them each time and explain he isn't real? As if.
In the same way that when they ask me to taste their play food I don't reply "Uh, this is plastic darling, I will pretend to taste it but do remember that it is only a toy, it shouldn't be put near your mouth, it doesn't have a taste and isn't edible".

Absolutely :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->