Not doing " Father Christmas "

My brother did tell the other kids at school at that santa wasn't real but he didn't have much sense compared to most kids.

I can understand what people mean in regards to lying to their children but the same could be said about all imaginary play toys etc and letting them believe in fairies etc. I just think it's a bit of fun and makes it magical. I don't know anybody who resents their parents for doing santa

I can understand what people mean in regards to lying to their children but the same could be said about all imaginary play toys etc and letting them believe in fairies etc. I just think it's a bit of fun and makes it magical. I don't know anybody who resents their parents for doing santa

Yeah, that's true.

It's not the same at all. Imaginary play is usually child-led and the child is in control of what does/doesn't happen. Adults may play along with make-believe games, but they don't normally insist that the characters are real (would you tell your child that Peppa Pig or Postman Pat were real if they asked?) or plant evidence to "prove" it (sleigh bells, mince pies, carrots, reindeer dust, etc.).

I was wondering about schools, do the non believers ( for whatever reason ) tell the other children. I'd find it hard to believe they don't, kids being kids and all.

In my school everyone believed so parents didn't have that to worry about. I supposed kids now stop believing much earlier xx

I vividly remember having two passionate arguments with my best friend in the first few years of primary school. The first was when she insisted that God wasn't real. As the child of a believing family, she didn't shake my faith in the slightest. The second was when I told her that the tooth fairy wasn't real (I was astonished to find out she actually believed, I guess my parents forgot to warn me about that one!). My logical arguments didn't make the slightest bit of difference! At a young age, family beliefs have a far bigger impact on children than the beliefs of their peers.

I do believe we have a grinch or two on this thread!

I was wondering about schools, do the non believers ( for whatever reason ) tell the other children. I'd find it hard to believe they don't, kids being kids and all.

In my school everyone believed so parents didn't have that to worry about. I supposed kids now stop believing much earlier xx

I vividly remember having two passionate arguments with my best friend in the first few years of primary school. The first was when she insisted that God wasn't real. As the child of a believing family, she didn't shake my faith in the slightest. The second was when I told her that the tooth fairy wasn't real (I was astonished to find out she actually believed, I guess my parents forgot to warn me about that one!). My logical arguments didn't make the slightest bit of difference! At a young age, family beliefs have a far bigger impact on children than the beliefs of their peers.

How do you prove to your kids that God is real? Yet won't let them believe for a few years in Santa?

Rósa;30799843 said:
How do you prove to your kids that God is real? Yet won't let them believe for a few years in Santa?

It's impossible to explain Infinite Consciousness and Intelligent Design to adults; children need no explanation. :)

Rósa;30799843 said:

I can see a very good point for a parent that does believe in God not to do the whole Santa thing because when their children find out Santa isn't real they are more likely to wonder whether God is just another make-believe story too.

Rósa;30799843 said:

I can see a very good point for a parent that does believe in God not to do the whole Santa thing because when their children find out Santa isn't real they are more likely to wonder whether God is just another make-believe story too.
Actually that is the main reason why many I know not to do Santa (church friends) . When atheists keep using "I believed in Santa" or something similiar in religious debates, it makes them (religious folks) want to distance further from Santa.

As if Santa is the main reason why they are athiest today ...that is all their life, they have been told Santa is real just like religious family tell their children God is real...

I'll always do Father Christmas, when I was little Santa made everything so magical and I intend for Santa to do it in my house.

I loved the idea of Santa going round all the houses and putting presents under the trees and sleeping for the rest of the year because he was so busy!

Im going to try and let my girls believe until I cant get away with it, but even then, Ill still be making Christmas magical :)

Rósa;30799843 said:

I suppose the whole Santa thing could lead us to question everything, quite interesting from a philosophical viewpoint but makes my head spin lol :wacko: xxx

We 'do' Father Christmas but I don't think I've ever lied to the kids about it. I talk about Father Christmas like I talk about other characters from stories and religion. I say "Peppa Pig has a brother called George" and "Charlie and Lola love playing in the snow" just as I say "Father Christmas delivers presents on Christmas Eve". I've never said he IS real, I just ask the kids whether they think he's real. So far they do. If they come out and ask, I'll ask them what they think and why and give them the opportunity to 'confirm' his existence for themselves but if they are insistent that I have to answer I'll tell the truth.

OH never did Christmas growing up as his family are strict Muslims. He just never believed and it wasn't really mentioned. I've told OH I will be incredibly cross if he spoils it for them and he just follows my lead, letting the kids believe while they want to. He never really got it before spending Christmas with my family but I think he's getting there - he always thought it was about buying loads of plastic crap you can't afford and getting drunk but I think/hope he's starting to see what it's really about now - giving, family, fun. Father Christmas is nothing to do with Christianity though, and that's probably why he's coming around to the idea.

Not rude at all- I find it mean. Obviously if your religion/ culture goes against christianity. But for the sheer reason of being opposed to consumerism and not wanting to lie to your kids, yeah I do :shrug: sorry!

Father Christmas is nothing to do with Christianity! I don't think any religion 'goes against Christianity' either, that is quite a Daily Mail-fueled perspective.

Even as a small child I took such pride in choosing gifts for people, it was genuinely fun. And it isn't just about the presents- it's about doing something that person will love. I loved that aspect of Christmas, and still do. People get so much pleasure from giving their children presents and I think children get a similar pleasure from giving their families special things. So, I genuinely think that Father Christmas would impede that.

I disagree with this. As I said to OH, part of the joy of Father Christmas for me as a parent is that I am giving to my kids without expecting to receive the thanks. I think that's a more selfless kind of giving really.

Without Santa it's just like a birthday? You go down and you get presents of your family and friends. Exciting but not magical.

What do you think Christmas is about?! It's a birthday!

I was talking about not doing Father Christmas and the magic of it.
Just because I didn't bring any religion into it doesn't mean I'm stupid

Any one else got kids who arnt convinced of Santa? I recall last year telling my son santa was coming only to be told that the postman brought presents. Now this year they arnt convinced. They already found some of their presents. Impossible to hide stuff from them. And I get eyed suspiciously when couriers come . :shrug: I get told the North Pole is too cold for any one to live on and he seen no one up there on google earth not even a polar bear. (he likes google earth).

Any one else got kids who arnt convinced of Santa? I recall last year telling my son santa was coming only to be told that the postman brought presents. Now this year they arnt convinced. They already found some of their presents. Impossible to hide stuff from them. And I get eyed suspiciously when couriers come . :shrug: I get told the North Pole is too cold for any one to live on and he seen no one up there on google earth not even a polar bear. (he likes google earth).

I feel like this will be my 2 year old. She's ridiculously sharp. She already found presents.
She's obsessed with how things work etc. so I'm not sure any of it will work on her.

I was the same way. I always knew there were present s hidden. And I had the most vivid imgination (like the woods in my backyard is magical)

I asked William who baby Jesus was the other day and he said "A doll" . :wacko: I thought that was funny to be honesty. We are atheist and they are doing a nativity play in school and well Jesus is a doll. He was suppose to learn some holy songs for it.

Father Christmas is nothing to do with Christianity!

Um actually he is. The folklore of Father Christmas originates from Saint Nicholas, who was a 4th century bishop of a Christian church in modern-day Turkey, known for secretly giving gifts to those in need.

My OH never believed because he said it was impossible for father christmas to come down the chimney because they had a back boiler (his parents weren't clever enough to think of a santa key!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->