Not enough :(

Ema

Mummy :) xxx
Reaction score
So took jacob to get weighed yesterday thinking he would be big, at 8 weeks he was 14lb 2oz so i thought by now he's be about 17-18lbs as he was following 91st centile since birth, well she weighed him and looked concerned so she plotted it on his chart and he has dropped to the 50th!!! He weighs 14lb 12oz so in over 6 weeks thats only a weight gain of 10oz!! So she measure him to see if it was right for his length now he is VERY long and always has been at 8 weeks he was 62cm following the 98th centile well he is still following that and is a whooping 66cm and in 6-9month clothes!!

So HV sat me done and asked what he is taking and i told her 3-5oz every 3hours a day then 2 feeds of 3oz in the 12 hours he sleeps at night and before bed he can take 5-7oz if i persist with it. He is on Lactose free milk by the way. So in 24hrs he can take between 20-27oz but more ofter near the 20oz mark getting him to take 5oz i have to persist. anyway she told me that for his height he should be taking between 35-38oz in 24hours and im not feeding him enough!!! i told her i have tried upping his bottles but she said i hadnt tried hard enough!!! and went on to be told i have to come back every week now to be weighed and if he still is gaining were being sent to pediatridtion *sp* to get checked, with him being lactose intorlant.

anyway how do i get him to take more??? i have upped his bottles but if he takes 5oz he is sick some back up and i told her about his reflux and the doc told me lil and often but he just refusing the bottle in his mouth if he aint hungry.....i dont know what to do. she suggested weaning so got me some lactose free cereal and he had it this moring but surely 1 lil bowl of cereal wont make him gain more weight so what can i do??? please help i rang my mum in distress yesterday but she doesn't know what to do. i didnt want to bother you's but im at me wits end XXXXX

I'm sorry (not much sleep) but what a bitch. Hannah is really long too but has never drank that much. Last time we got her weighed she was right around the 14 pound mark (can't remember exactly just woke up) and 27 inches long. We struggle to get more than 4-5 ounces down her on a good day. And once in a while we are lucky and she takes 6 ounces. But she's always gained grown really well (especially lengthwise) and been completely happy and healthy

Should add that according to Hannah's weight she should be eating over 30 ounces

She drinks closer to 20, sometimes 24 on a good day. Plus cereal in the morning and cereal and part of a jar in the evenings (but we're starting to wean)

Cereal actually has alot of calories and will beging to put weight on him. Although if he simply wont drink anymore then there isn't alot you can do...

When Jasmine was diagnosed with the reflux it took almost 2 weeks of her eating less then 20oz of her new formula to feel more up to eating more. And she is eating lots again.

Is he actually lactose intolerant? Or was that just something that was suggested for the reflux? I thought Jasmine was lactose intolerant too when she was 2 weeks because of the vomitting etc... But she is on regular milk with less iron and it has done wonders for her. The last day I didn't even notice her poop and usually she strains forever and pukes from straining...

Tell her to shut up. He is gaining weight and he is happy x

he is lactose intorlant and will get tested again at 12months but doc thinks it will be a life thing XxxX

hmm that suck then... the iron in formulas can contribute to reflux hugely. And ive yet to find a formula lactose free with less iron.

maybe try a bigger teat? maybe hes just giving up because hes finding the flow too slow?

a faster flow will make the reflux worse though.

I agree with Toria.As you know hon,Ive had this too from my health visitor today.I think you're his mum,as long as in your heart you know he is happy and healthy then I think thats what matters most xxx

I actually agree.
Lola fell from 50th percentile to the 15th and I know she should be eating more for a baby her age but I can't make her, she spits up when she's overfed.
I think Jacob is doing great, bang on the 50%.

didnt he used to be a hungry baby...sorry it may of been someone else i jus thought i rememberd u saying he wanted 6oz every 2 hours...i dont relly no wat to sugest hun...if u think he is doing fine then i wouldnt worry wat she says...the cereal may make a difference maybe giv it him in morning and evening. see archie is a hungry baby wanting 8oz every 4 hours 5 times a day x
so if u did anything to make jacob a less hungry baby then do tell...sorry cant be much more help xxx oh and by the way archie is on the 50th percentile watever that means x x

i thought he was a hungry baby too?

baby's won't have more then they want, so i don't know what to suggest.

(elliot has 4 7oz bottles per 24 hours now, hes gradually changed to longer between feeds himself....even though ive been told to try little and often for his reflux, he just won't have any of it!).

didnt he used to be a hungry baby...sorry it may of been someone else i jus thought i rememberd u saying he wanted 6oz every 2 hours...i dont relly no wat to sugest hun...if u think he is doing fine then i wouldnt worry wat she says...the cereal may make a difference maybe giv it him in morning and evening. see archie is a hungry baby wanting 8oz every 4 hours 5 times a day x
so if u did anything to make jacob a less hungry baby then do tell...sorry cant be much more help xxx oh and by the way archie is on the 50th percentile watever that means x x

he was a hungry baby but now refuses the bottle thats the problem??? sorry i was writing one handed before and never added that, i dont know what happened. i just thoughtb it was getting older but hv says im wrong and not fedding him enough....xxx

Hannah's in the 90th percentile for height. When she was born we went from 3-4 ounces every 4 hours to 4-5 ounces every 4 hours very very quickly. It's fallen off though. As I said before I'm lucky to get 24 ounces down her a day, usually closer to 20. It's just one of those things. Sometimes, in my opinion, babies just don't need as much as they do at other stages.

Honestly i wouldn't worry i think babies that are high on the percentile to start with find it hard to maintain it. He seems to be doing exactlt what Amelia did around that age.

I got her weighed yesterday and she is 1oz off 15lb! She is just under the 50th now from the 99th. The HV isn't worried and neither am i anymore.

As his mum if you feel he is to skinny or not feeding him enough then you could try the suggestions or just keep going as you are knowing he is happy and healthy.

Hannah's in the 90th percentile for height. When she was born we went from 3-4 ounces every 4 hours to 4-5 ounces every 4 hours very very quickly. It's fallen off though. As I said before I'm lucky to get 24 ounces down her a day, usually closer to 20. It's just one of those things. Sometimes, in my opinion, babies just don't need as much as they do at other stages.

this is exactly what happening he is more iterested in everything else bar food now....dont know what to do. Ill see what happens next monday at weigh in xxx

You can't force him to eat. IMO opinion that's just as bad. I know it's scary and frustrating. I've spent a lot of time worrying about Hannah's milk intake but in the end I do know that she will get what she needs, and only she knows what she needs at this stage--she can't very well speak to me and say "I'm not hungry mom" :lol:. I just try to make sure she's not dehydrated/sick/etc.

And Jacob is now at an age where he's discovering more of the world, and those things are a lot more interesting than eating!! Honestly he is gaining weight, and chances are he'll hit another growth spurt soon and put on tons. I try not to look at it week to week or even month to month but the overall picture of her growing and getting longer, gaining weight etc. Because babies do go through periods of slower growth

I agree with Vickie and don't forget he wasn't very well x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->