Not enough :(

I agree with others, dont listen to your HV- gosh they really know how to make you feel like poo! Annoying!

You know yourself your ickle un is happy and healthy and so long as he is gaining weight, I shouldnt worry!

I too struggle to get my lil girl to take more feeds. She is just not interested anymore, so ive started weaning early. On a good day,Jess takes around the 22oz- its more leaning towards the 18oz-20oz. She was born on the 90th percentile and has dropped significantly to the 25th percentile but seems to be following that line now.

I dont have any ideas but i hope things get better hun, i had a lot of problems with my daughters feeding as a baby and my HV even accused me of not feeding her (cow!!) so i know how stressful it can be.
Hope things improve hun :hugs:

i agree with vickie honey, these hv's seem intent on making excellent mothers feel bad imo. as long as he is gaining weight steadily, hydrated and well and happy i would be happy too :hugs: x

Firstly hun :hugs: your hv sounds awful and not very educated if you ask me or not very aware of what reflux actually can do to a babies weight gain and them actually taking the bottle. :hissy:

Joe had severe reflux and his weight gain was slower than slow. I researched and researched and realised that his slow weight gain was down to his reflux. Sorry I'm sure you've answered this elsewhere but is the little man on meds for it? Gaviscon? Ranitidine? Maybe a thickener for his milk?

Also going off the bottle :dohh: I have so been there too, its all to do with the reflux too :( The acid burns their little oespohagus when the milk mixes with the acid so the little ones associate getting the milk with the burning sensation :dohh: Clever little things aren't they? Joe started to go off the bottle at 5 months and by 6 months point blank refused and I had to syringe feed him 20 oz a day for 5 months :dohh:

So when the hv mentions this again come back at her with a few things, the bitch :trouble: I love these people who think they know it all but they aren't the ones trying to get the milk into the little ones :hugs:

And also the fact the little man hasn't been well will have contributed to his weight too but I think his weight is fine hun :hug:

Ema, has she taken into account the fact your wee man was so unwell recently?

Has he not been weighed since 8 weeks? Sure he could have lost loads being sick, and will take a while to put it back on! Besides its actually really common for babies to drop a couple of lines - 50th is still really really good. I honestly don't get the hv's problem - and I am shocked she suggested weaning - if this causes him to take even less milk - will he get enough fluid? Has she suggested you also give water?

My lo also has reflux, and my hv told me that the OLD advice was to wean reflux babies early, but in her opinion it doesn't help at all, so I will be perservering with milk only for a good while yet.

However, as others have said - reflux can cause babes to hate the bottle, in which case you have no choice but to wean unfortunately.

If you are not happy with her advice, see your gp and get their opinion.

I hate when nurses or dr's make you feel like and incompetent parent , for gods sake you are his mother no one knows best but your ..the problem with most people is the generalize each baby meaning all babies in there heads should be the same , eat the same , sleep the same and so on ..

YOU CAN NOT up his feeds if he dose not want , he will just get worst with his reflux , let him eat what he wants . although cereal can help bring up his weight his system might not be ready and sometimes it can make it worst ..I would suggest getting some baby oatmeal as its much easier on tummy ..I know this from my son he got rice cereal for reflux and it made him sick , but on oatmeal he was ok ..

I hope your LO feels better soon , PS never second guess your self and your parenting skills

arghhh i hate HV. Time and time again you cant do right for doing wrong. I was 'told off' when salim lost 4 oz one week yet the next week he put on 18oz!! Yesterday she came to weigh him and when I said he is having 7 oz bottles every 3 hours she said oh thats way too much try giving him more food. Hes only 60cm long and hes 5 months now. He is a lil shortie like me lol. He weights 15lb 5oz is happy and healthy and thats all I care about. You know your baby and as long as they are happy and healthy thats all that matters.:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->