• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Not sure what to do..

:rofl: Holly have you looked in that new village in Bedford? It's so cute, I want to live there! :rofl:

sweetie, i agree with holly, you have to do what is right for you. i am broody, but for me and for us, i no it's not the right time. we do own our own home, we brought when property prices were high, but they were lending and we had our deposit, and in the village were we live it is bloody expensive, but they seem to have held their value. it was stressful, but for us its the best thing we ever did because now our mortgage is a good price and we're looking to move onto bigger and better things (once this silly recession is over)

i think deep down you're ready for ttc, its just, like all of us, you worry :hugs: x x x

Maybe look at a part-buy scheme. That's what we have done. We pay the mortgage on a 25% share of the house, and rent the rest of the amount.. which works out less than renting for us. Then in a years' time, we can choose to 'up' the share to 50%, 75% or 100%. So we're paying less on a mortgage now, but when we are in a better place financially, and can afford more, we can buy off more of the house. Might be worth looking into. x

If you don't mind me asking..

How much are you paying and did it matter which house you pick?

It works the same as buying a house normally would, in the way that you find a house (they're all different prices depending on no of rooms, sizes, gardens, etc). There were a few houses for sale on the estate we live on now, and we looked at all of them before choosing this one. We pay about £525 pcm altogether for the mortgage + the rent, whereas renting the same size place, we would be looking at about £600 pcm. We have a brand new house too, so it worked out really well for us.

Like the others said, do whats right for you and your little family. If you want to start ttc now rather than later then go for it.

there is never a right time to have a baby as im sure u know next year something else might come up that makes u think its not the perfect time. you have to do what makes you happy if you know u are ready then go for it buying or renting as long as you have a roof over your heads thats all that matters in the grand scheme of things. i reckon your mind is already made up lol

You do whatever makes you happy chick. Don't think you have to own a nice house before you have any more kids x

OH and I are waiting to pay off our debts, but we're not looking to buy a house for at least 5 years until the market starts to pick up. A house is important, yes, but I would never buy in the UK right now.

Is it possible to TTC and open a savings account and just put less into it and buy a house in 5+ years rather than 2? You and Rich are still young, so if you have a good deposit you could have a mortgage paid off well before you retire.

Urgh. Luton is not the cheapest. I may be saying the complete obvious here, but it's often better to move out of the city and live in the 'surrounds' or in a village/hamlet beyond (if you or your partner can drive to work) then you can usually get something much cheaper. And most definitely try to avoid London commuter towns (which Luton most definitely is) if you can help it.

Hmmm...Looks like you can get a 2 bed flat for 80k in Luton, but that's still a 20k deposit, which is a heck of a lot!

Just been on rightmove (my other home apart from here!)

2 bedroom apartment for sale
Grove Road, Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG4
Shared ownership £43,737
Buy for less than the cost of renting and enjoy riverside living on an affordable basis. Contemporary 1 & 2 bedroom apartments and 2 bed maisonettes offered for sale on a part buy, part rent basis.

(We're having the same trouble as we're moving from Norfolk, which is very reasonable to Essex, which is EXTORTIONATE!! Luckily, we won't be working in London, so we don't have to be near a train station or anything).

Anyways, hope you come to some kind of a idea and try not to drive yourself too crazy with it all. :hugs:

xx

Buy up here, it's cheap as chips! Can get a 3 bed detached house for under 100K :)

Hey lovely, first off, have a :hugs: as I know what its like to be having your heart and head pull in two different directions.

We bought our house last May, we bartered, got a good price, and thankfully, live in a beautiful area and the house has increased in value due to the work we have done to it. It isn't big, it isn't fancy but we do love it and although I am sure it wasn't built for 2 adults, 2 cats, a dog and hopefully a baby, that is what is going to happen all going to plan. I am happy we bought but it is by far not the be all and end all to us.

The dilema we are in is marriage or baby first as we want both and pretty quickly.

I think we all know what we really want, we just want to hear some arguments for and against to either confirm what we already know or to help us see another side.

Personally, knowing what I do of you, I'd say a baby was the most important thing for you and therefore, the right thing to do.

Good luck with whatever you decide hun and remember we are always here for you :hugs:

xxx

Hey
Toria (havent read through whole thread but will do)
Well as i think i said to you in chat the other night me and OH bought our first home last month. It is possible to get mortgages and there are deals to be had, we did it. BUT and a big BUT if we hadnt of done this we would of rented and then started for a family a lot sooner.
I can imagine this is a really hard decision for you hun and i dont want to say do this or do that. Just go with your heart not your head. hehe
Sorry i probably am not that much help but at the end of the day there is no wrong decision. xx

I agree you should go with your heart never mind what others think. Renting a bit longer isn't the end of the world, especially with the economy as crap as it is. xx

aww - as everyone says, you should go with your heart - the main thing really is that you have a roof over your head, whether it's rented or mortgaged... If you do decide to wait till November, I am sure it won't be long - we're TTC in september and made that decision nearly 2 years ago - it's hard to believe that we're so close now! xx

i think u should do whatever makes u happy hun,like others have said as long as you have a roof over your head its not the worst thing ever if you dont own your house :lol:
if you dont want a big age gap then i think you should have #2 and then get a house after but thats just me personally xxxx

Its totally your decision. People will always have their two cents.

Personally, i wanted my children close in age. Im in no rush to buy a house and am quite happy renting the place i am in. We pay not a lot of rent as its an association house. This is best for us at this moment in time. We wont be buying until ive been through uni and got my career up and running. For now we will stay here. And complete our family (for now) xx

Urgh. Luton is not the cheapest. I may be saying the complete obvious here, but it's often better to move out of the city and live in the 'surrounds' or in a village/hamlet beyond (if you or your partner can drive to work) then you can usually get something much cheaper. And most definitely try to avoid London commuter towns (which Luton most definitely is) if you can help it.

Hmmm...Looks like you can get a 2 bed flat for 80k in Luton, but that's still a 20k deposit, which is a heck of a lot!

Just been on rightmove (my other home apart from here!)

2 bedroom apartment for sale
Grove Road, Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG4
Shared ownership £43,737
Buy for less than the cost of renting and enjoy riverside living on an affordable basis. Contemporary 1 & 2 bedroom apartments and 2 bed maisonettes offered for sale on a part buy, part rent basis.

(We're having the same trouble as we're moving from Norfolk, which is very reasonable to Essex, which is EXTORTIONATE!! Luckily, we won't be working in London, so we don't have to be near a train station or anything).

Anyways, hope you come to some kind of a idea and try not to drive yourself too crazy with it all. :hugs:

xx

Honestly i would avoid Hertfordshire like the plague ... its stupidly overpriced because lots of "celebs" live here

I paid £125,000 for a 1 bed house!!

Whatever you decide, just make sure its right for YOU and don't listen to anyone else. There is never a right time to have a baby and you can never have enough money put aside (I guess unless you are a squillionaire). There will always be time to buy a house later on... and renting isn't that bad. But I totally understand wanting to buy nice things for your baby and have a house that you own. Good luck with your decision. Follow what's really in your heart and you can't go wrong! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"