not sure what to do...

lulu0504

Bella's Mummy
Reaction score
Been to the doctors today as Bella is on gaviscon for reflux and has been for some time now. She usually has one sachet as she will only take 4oz but this has been making her quite constipated so last week doc advised to stop gaviscon completely and just see how she gets on for a week then take her back today to be weighed and to decide next step. So basically she weighs Bella who has put on 6oz in 3 weeks (normal?) and then says that as she is just above the 50th centile then at least she is absorbing enough of the nutrients and calories. Then she decided to put Bella back on gaviscon as she is being very sick without it and has in fact UPPED THE DOSE?! to 2 sachets per 4oz bottle. I am really concerned that this is going to make her even more constipated but the doctor claims it won't. Am i right to be worried? I just don't think gaviscon is the right thing for Belle. She did mention ranitidine as the next step but didn't go into more detail.

Anyone know anymore about this or got any advice?

Gaviscon is probably the best thing for the reflux and I've not heard of it causing constipation. Did she stop being constipated when you stopped it? I personally would give it another try. The dr has probably increased the dose because she has gained weight? ie. over 4.5kg = 2 sachets. Ranitidine works in a different way and is usually used for people with ulcers.

HTH xxx

she was well over 4.5kg when it was last prescribed so not sure why she'd up it now. Her poo went completely normal as soon as i stopped it so it has to be down to that! Its so difficult cos she is grouchy when she get constipated on it but her reflux is better but without it she's so sick, even in her sleep she's sick! I really don't know what to do, i don't want her getting as constipated as she was last time.

im looking to get courtney some gaviscon.... health visitor mentioned it!!

have you tried some cooled boiled water to help her contipation??

You could get something for the constipation so you can continue to use the gaviscon. Bottle fed babies often need water as well so as leedsforever said try that.

I did try cooled boiled water but she's so sick with it that we have to mix gaviscon in it and because she can only have 6 bottles with gaviscon in it means she has to have a milk feed without gaviscon. doesn't seem to help her along much either. Doc said there is no reason that it would make her constipated but its definitely the thing thats doing it. aaargh so confused!!

Go and see a different doctor if you can and ask for something to help the constipation.

Tabs has been on Domperidone and Ranitidine since day one.
They are anti sickness drugs that help the feed get digested quicker so stays down so prevents the prob to start with.
Tabs got unsettled and really in pain with her reflux at around 5 weeks so i asked about gaviscon at her 6 week check and we got some....to be honest i think it made her constipated and didnt do much in the way of extra help so i stopped the gaviscon completely and poos went back to normal! but i then asked about upping the dose of her meds as she had put on so much weight and that sorted her out completely! just upped her meds dose again after a few days of the reflux bothering her.

She also has Cow and gate comfort 1 as there is less lactose and it is a thicker feed so stays down really well (need bigger teats though)
i also use dr browns bottle to lessen the air that goes down and i sit her up for about 15 mins after a feed and raise end of pram and matress in crib a little.
Touch wood she has only projectiled about 10 times since birth but that was usually due to a trapped burp coming up.
I swear by the ranitidine and domperidone!

wow thanks sonny! i actually feel like you understand where i'm coming from with the gaviscon and constipation. I guess i'm a bit sensitive from when she was first born and didn't poo for 17 days and ended up i hospital. i couldn't bear that again with all the tests etc. and maybe that's why i'm so paranoid now. Obviously i don't want to be pumping her full of drugs which is why i don't want to have to give gaviscon and something for constipation if there is something that will work for her reflux without causing constipation. I asked about trying a different milk but doc seemed reluctant to switch as she is on solids throughout the day. Thanks everyone for all your advice, think i might give it a few days and if she gets constipated, i'll take her straight back and ask to try ranitidine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->