Not sure what to think?

flowerchild79

Reaction score
Hi, I hope I'm posting the right way (new at forums!). Anyway, I am looking for some guidance. This past Wednesday (11/9/11), I went to an Urgent Care facility for a bad cough. The triage nurse suspected pneumonia and wanted to do a pg test before the xray. I gave her the urine, less than 5 minutes later she told me I was not pregnant and we did the xray. Turned out I have pneumonia, they gave me some prescriptions and sent me on my way. I was sitting at the drug store, waiting for my prescriptions, when the urgent care place called me. Told me NOT to take any medications. They went to throw away my pg test and it had turned positive. They ran it again ( I guess with leftover urine) and it was negative up until the 10 minute mark and then turned positive. They asked me to come back for a blood test. I went back right away and they rushed my blood to the lab. It came back a few hours later with an HCG level of 30. She said, you're definitely pregnant and they adjusted my medication accordingly. I have taken 2 hpt in the past 24 hours and they were both negative. I guess my confusion is from thinking that on Wednesday my hcg was 30 and it's supposed to keep doubling, so why would a hpt not pick it up by now if it's set to pick up anything about a level of 50hcg? My husband and I had unprotected sex on October 29th. The first day of my last menstrual cycle was October 23rd. On Wednesday and Thursday of this week, I also had very light spotting (not enough to get any on a pad, just there when wiping) and minor cramping. That stopped by Friday.

Is it just too early for a hpt to pick it up? Or could something else be going on?

Thanks!

Yes, sounds really early. I would give it a few days and then do a first response with FMU. Don't use a digi. Use a pink line test, leave it 5 mins and take the test apart and hold it up to the light if you still don't see anything.

I think if you had a hcg at 30 on wednesday then a test would surly show pregnant by now. Especailly a 50hcg one. im no expert but i wouldnt be getting my hopes up. I would go and see a dr and get another blood draw done.

I think if you had a hcg at 30 on wednesday then a test would surly show pregnant by now. Especailly a 50hcg one. im no expert but i wouldnt be getting my hopes up. I would go and see a dr and get another blood draw done.

Right, that's what I was thinking - it wasn't making sense to me. I'm not due to get my period for another 10 days, so I wasn't sure what to expect at this point. Thank you!

Yes, sounds really early. I would give it a few days and then do a first response with FMU. Don't use a digi. Use a pink line test, leave it 5 mins and take the test apart and hold it up to the light if you still don't see anything.

Thanks for your response. By digi, do you mean digital test? Are they less accurate?

If her hcg is 30 a 50mui would not pick that up. But a 25mui would. Try taking a frer. What brand were you using before? The 50mui is too high if your hcg is only at 30. You dont have enough hcg in your system yet thats why your getting a - on those

Oops I think I misread. Yeah it would of doubled by now. I say still try a frer an not a digital. A digi is one that says preg or not preg

Oops I think I misread. Yeah it would of doubled by now. I say still try a frer an not a digital. A digi is one that says preg or not preg

Thanks. Is there a brand you recommend? I've been using brand less ones that I bought online from Amazon b/c w/the pneumonia, it's not easy for me to leave the house (especially since the antibiotics they gave me are so weak b/c they think I'm pregnant!).

Good luck hun i have everything crossed for you x

if they gave u a blood test ur deff. pregnant weather or not the hpt are picking it up, everyone is different and some people have multi false positives at home, but the thing that would make a blood test positive is the fact u are pregnant, however u might want to request another one to rule out any problems with the pregnancy. It is possible it has doubled and ur urine is diluted and not have enough to produce a hpt, especially 50mui, thats a very UNsensitive test. try a first response, and if ur still concerned and getting -s call ur dr

Thanks for that tip. I just took another one and took it apart after 5 minutes. Definitely a faint line there!

If your period isn't due for 10 more days, it's way early to get a positive on a home test. Keep testing with any pink dye test that's 25 miu and you should be good. Most of us here have nothing nice to say about blue dye tests at all, so avoid those at all costs if you can. And remember, when able to do it......we all love to stare at tests here, so be sure to post a pic of the future tests!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->