nt scan

lakota

Reaction score
Morning ladies. I had my 12 week appt on Monday although I hit 12wks tomorrow. The appt went great but I forgot to ask about the nt scan so I called today to ask about it. The nurse i spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I said its an ultrasound that they measure the nuchal fold in babys neck to check for downs etc and usually happens between 11 and 14 weeks and still said she wasn't sure what that was and that the dr usually just does ultrasounds. I once again said that's what it is. She was clueless and I'm frustrated.she asked if i just wanted to ask at my next appt and Isaid no because ill be past the time frame the test is usually done. I have no concerns that this baby has a defect I honestly.just wanted to see baby again but I'm a little perplexed and worried that the staff at the dr office is incompetent or not up to date with how things are done. Should I be concerned or should I be the crazy lady and call again and ask to speak to dr?

Well that's just weird!! I would totally ask to speak to the Dr. or if they have a midwife. NT scan's are totally normal scans..geesh maybe she's a temp and not the nurse, maybe just a medical assistant...but really?? Hmm..so weird!

She's a regular: ( I've spoke to her before about test results etc. My Dr is a gp and obgyn, its a small town practice

That's crazy! I would ask to talk with the dr for sure!

I know that here in Canada they don't offer nt scan if you don't have risk factors or aged below 35. I had a scan at 8 weeks and the next one is 20! I might need to talk my doctor into another scan in between. My anxiety is crazy atm.

I know I had it done with my other 2 but then again it was different drs. I just wanna see baby lol

I would call back and speak to a doctor. Last pregnancy I was only offered two scans: NT and 20-wk. I think it's really odd that the nurse doesn't know what you're talking about. I'd guess that means your OB doesn't normally do them, but you'll be able to get an explanation from the doctor. One practice I considered only did the 20-wk, but they should at least know what the NT scan is!

im Canadian (alberta) and my first scan IS my NT scan. They are doing it at 12w1d. that's when mine is booked. they should know what that is....

Yeah, you should definitely call and ask to speak to the doctor. I find it very concerning that anyone working in obstetrics wouldn't know what an nt scan is.
Let us know how it goes!

Do you think because I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks because I was "unsure" of dates that might be why I wasnt offered one?

I called and left a message for the Dr so hopefully I'll get a direct answer!

Honestly, I have never heard of a NT scan until reading various posts on here. With my daughter the ONlY ultrasound I got was 20 weeks. I had a blood test down for downs and other things. Then with this pregnancy I had a private scan done at 8 weeks and then dr did one at 11 weeks to double check dates. I asked about a nt scan and what exactly it was and they do not offer them unless, like a previous poster said, you are over a certain age or have other risk factors. Otherwise there's the option of having a private out of pocket scan. My guess is that if this nurse has no idea what you're talking about, they must not routinely do those in that office. Doesn't hurt to ask your dr though!

Maybe it depends on where you are located?

I had scans at 6 and 8 weeks (due to dating issues ans high-risk factor for mc) and was still offered an NT scan - my doc apparently offers them to everyone over 30 even though 35 or 40 are the more common ages.

I hope you get an answer soon. Really is doesn't surprise me that you weren't offered one - just concerns me that the nurse wouldn't even know what it was.

Well as I stated before i had them done when pregnant for my other 2 and Im in the same area just different doctor. I was never high risk with either until I hit 27 weeks when I went into preterm labor with my youngest. I just feel like if you are in obstetrics you should know any and all tests. Idk maybe I'm just more paranoid this time around. But the nurse practicioner talked to Dr and called me. The first time she called she didn't know what it was either so she said shed ask and get back to me. My dr said he does the test between 16 and 21 weeks so at my next appt wed talk about it and id get scheduled for it. I'm not quite sure that its the same test but idk:( I feel like a crazy lady and my concerns haven't diminished.

Oh, true about being in the same area - sorry I missed that.

And oh no!!! Nt scans can only be done between 11 weeks and 13+6 - no later!!!
Honestly, this seems like a lot of red flags regarding this medical practice. Is there any way you can switch doctors at this point??

I can switch I'm sure.I like the Dr and the drive is 2 min but the staff.concerns me. Sigh I don't remember having these issues in my last pregnancies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->